• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    My collection is taking a turn from WW2 rifles to the major US service rifles. Today I added a Remington M1917 to the collection. Now I am saving up to get an M1 Carbine from the CMP (they won't be listed until very late 2014, so I have some time). The barrel is dated 1918. It is a bit of a mixmaster with both Remington and Eddystone marked parts. It is import marked with an old CAI stamp. There are no visible stamps on the stock and I don't think it is original to the rifle.

Attachments

• EPSN0114.jpg
      EPSN0114.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 322
    • EPSN0117.jpg
      EPSN0117.jpg
      37 KB · Views: 318
    • EPSN0120.jpg
      EPSN0120.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 327
    • EPSN0115.jpg
      EPSN0115.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 318
    • EPSN0122.jpg
      EPSN0122.jpg
      24.8 KB · Views: 328
    • EPSN0129.jpg
      EPSN0129.jpg
      37.1 KB · Views: 332
    • EPSN0128.jpg
      EPSN0128.jpg
      36.6 KB · Views: 303

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Sweet rifle, Also how do you know that the CMP will be getting more carbines? I would love to pick one up if they get some more for reasonable prices but I haven't seen anything on their site.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Yes, that stock makes the rifle. Tho', were it mine, because of the beautiful grain and knowing how it'd turn out, I'd be mightily tempted to refinish it (and replace some of the worn screws, etc.). But probably best leaving it as-is.

Likewise, I'd love to hear that CMP's getting more M1 carbines, but their M1 carbine page still contains the same disclaimer:
    NOTE: CMP'S Carbine Inventory has been exhausted and we do not expect to receive any additional shipments. Due to limited quantities we may come across, M1 Carbines, M1Carbine barreled Receivers, Bavaria-Marked M1 Carbines and M1A1 Paratrooper Carbines will be offered on the CMP Auction Site.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I love mine at it's the first rifle I ever shot. It's great there is still appreciation for these older rifles.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    CMP Forums

Sweet rifle, Also how do you know that the CMP will be getting more carbines? I would love to pick one up if they get some more for reasonable prices but I haven't seen anything on their site.

It is a running discussion thread on the CMP forums.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=110311

The next big offering will the the International Harvester Garands sometime in mid-2014 and then they will focus on sorting and grading the M1 Carbines.

I HIGHLY recommend following the threads on the CMP Forum as you get advanced notice about certain things and reports about inventory at the North and South stores.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Have you dated the receiver? Not surprised it's a mix master, most of them are. I wonder where it was imported from.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    Nice rifle, reeks of strength in the receiver. Those ugly assed ears though...... Sgt York didn't mind a bit. :thumbsup:

I was blown away at just how smooth the action was when I first tried it. It works flawlessly. I usually test using dummy rounds and this thing cycled like a dream. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I was. I guess I am used to surplus Mosins that frequently need major cleaning for the bolt to move smoothly.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Nice rifle, reeks of strength in the receiver. Those ugly assed ears though...... Sgt York didn't mind a bit. :thumbsup:

I like the ears! I refer to it as big ears as in "I'm taking ole' big ears to the next C&R match".

I guess Sgt. York had a better time of it than I do when I'm looking through that basketball hoop sized rear peep.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I like the ears! I refer to it as big ears as in "I'm taking ole' big ears to the next C&R match".

I guess Sgt. York had a better time of it than I do when I'm looking through that basketball hoop sized rear peep.

I like the peep sight on the 1917. I think it's better than the tiny peep on the '03. That thing is damn near unusable.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    It is a running discussion thread on the CMP forums.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=110311

The next big offering will the the International Harvester Garands sometime in mid-2014 and then they will focus on sorting and grading the M1 Carbines.

I HIGHLY recommend following the threads on the CMP Forum as you get advanced notice about certain things and reports about inventory at the North and South stores.

Huh, for some reason I cannot connect to any of the CMP forums.

Rockchucker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 1, 2013
    Millersville

I never use the battle sight on mine same as on my British No4 MkII.
    Flip the sight up for the target sight. :thumbsup:

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I never use the battle sight on mine same as on my British No4 MkII.
    Flip the sight up for the target sight. :thumbsup:

Yep. That one is better. It's still a bit large for me though. Originally I couldn't use it at all because even on the lowest setting it was something like 4 inches high at 200 yds. I got a replacement front sight that was lower so I could use the rear ladder peep.

Those rifles are really accurate.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Does that number on the bolt match the receiver? Mine is a former Danish Home Guard rifle and the receiver number is stamped on the bolt and the stock. Yours doesn't look Danish though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom