• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Hey, this is my first thread.

I have an NM M1A and I want to "mostly" exclusively shoot 168gr BTHP in .308 Win. I bought the Schuster gas plug because when I switched over to the 308 from the NATO rounds I noticed that the brass was getting beat up and that the wood near the receiver was getting dinged pretty good too. I also noticed that my 200yd zero with the NATO round was now my 100yd with the 308 at 200yds. I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the plug? I was thinking if tuning it for NATO to where it will cycle softly and then just shoot the 308 where it will act like the NATO round. I want to bleed off some gas to save the op rod and lugs, but be able to shoot both rounds without any hiccups.

Or, should I just tune it to 308 and the switch out plugs for when I shoot NATO rounds? I keep the M14 tool kit in the stock and there is room for a plug.

Thanks in advance.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I understand you are trying to get the best of both worlds but there will be a tradeoff depending on how you set it. Im a little surprised that you would be loosing as much as you are saying. Difference between 100/200 yard zero should be 4-6 inches from nato, while I would expect the plug to vent some excess gas that is a pretty severe shift. Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote as it isn't 100% clear.

Also in regards to the brass being beat up pictures would help, battle rifles are typically hard on brass. Military isn't worried about saving brass they are concerned with positive extraction first. M1's are very hard on brass and since the M1A is practically its son I would expect more of the same from that platform.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I understand you are trying to get the best of both worlds but there will be a tradeoff depending on how you set it. Im a little surprised that you would be loosing as much as you are saying. Difference between 100/200 yard zero should be 4-6 inches from nato, while I would expect the plug to vent some excess gas that is a pretty severe shift. Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote as it isn't 100% clear.

Also in regards to the brass being beat up pictures would help, battle rifles are typically hard on brass. Military isn't worried about saving brass they are concerned with positive extraction first. M1's are very hard on brass and since the M1A is practically its son I would expect more of the same from that platform.

Hey , thanks for the reply.

To clarify, when I have the OEM plug in and have my dial at the 200yd mark with NATO rounds it's zeroed, if I switch over to 308 my groups are high and I have to turn the dial down to the 100yd mark which gets me zeroed at 200yds with the 308. Which makes sense to me since the 308 is higher pressure and moving faster.

I guess I'll just tune the adjustable plug for the 308 and switch plugs as needed for ammo.

Also, If I'm switching between manufacturers in 308 will I need to tune the plug for each brand?

I'm slightly dyslexic so it makes sense in my head but not when my fingers type it out.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Range Report:

I took my M1A out to shoot on Saturday to try to tune the Schuster adjustable gas plug and things went really well. I got the action to cycle in under 8 rounds. Now the spent casings jsut kind of fall out to the side about 2' away. The casings also only have small dings were before they had sizable dents. I am impressed with how much less recoil there is too. I like this plug so much I bought one for my dad to go on his CMP Garand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom