• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jadsonchaves

Apr 9, 2014
    Maryland
    So I'm 20 years old and just recently purchased an ar-15 in Florida. As I will be moving to Maryland soon I joined to try to get a bit more of an understanding of the "horrible" gun laws of Maryland that I have heard so much about. Along with the rifle I also have quite a few 30 round magazines that I have collected from about June 2013 until now. Anything I should before I cross over the state line and immediately get thrown in jail?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The magazines are not a problem.

When did you buy the AR 15? Any chance it's an HBAR?

As of October 1, 2013 all AR15s except HBARs were banned outright in this rotten little misgoverned state. If you owned yours BEFORE that date, AND you are 21 years old, then you may bring it to Maryland, provided you register it with the State Police within 90 days.

But you can bring all the 30 round mags you want, as long as they're for your personal use.
    No mags over 10 rounds may change ownership within the State. We all buy ours out of state.

Jadsonchaves

Apr 9, 2014
    Maryland
    Unfortunately it's not an hbar, which even if it was I wouldn't be allowed to have there since I am still under 21. At least I can carry around some magazines. I'll just throw them at people if I'm ever put in the position to defend myself. Another question I was going to ask was on my 21st bday I was planning on receiving my ccw and purchasing my first handgun. What would route would I take to make it so I have the least amount of headache as possible? Opposed to moving out of the state as I see a lot of people commenting haha.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You have no chance whatever of getting a CCW in Maryland. None.

Sorry.

Sell your AR and buy an HBAR. Only way to legally own an AR in MD.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I thought non h-bars were considered regulated even outside of this state... So you are 20 years old with a regulated AR?

Hbar isn't even a consideration in some other states. There may be no regulated rifles. :shrug:

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    If someone could provide a reference to the "under 21 can't own an AR-15 in Maryland", I would appreciate it. I haven't seen this before. SB281 does say that anyone under the age of 21 cannot own a regulated firearm (which is a handgun).

Section 5-143 of SB281 states:

A PERSON WHO MOVES INTO THE STATE WITH THE INTENT OF BECOMING A RESIDENT SHALL REGISTER ALL REGULATED FIREARMS WITH THE SECRETARY WITHIN 30 90 DAYS AFTER ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY.

"Regulated firearm" in Maryland is a handgun, not an AR-15. Possession of an AR-15 is not illegal. The sale, rental or transfer an of AR-15 is banned.

Since you are military (I'm a SSG in the Guard), you're don't normally have the "intent of becoming a resident" since you're on PCS orders - assuming your active duty. If your HOR is Florida, then keep that as your home state.

As far as the "you'll never get a Handgun Permit (aka CCW) in Maryland" comment goes, that's not all together true. MSP has been lifting some of their restrictions lately and giving them for valid reasons (business owner, carrying of cash, etc.). It may all depend on your job in whatever branch you are. Plus, as soon as the DoD gets around to making changes to our CACs, if you're a CPL or higher, then you can lawfully carry under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) with a whole lot of conditions, of course. That eliminates the whole permit problems.

Send me a PM if you have questions about your specific situation.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    If someone could provide a reference to the "under 21 can't own an AR-15 in Maryland", I would appreciate it. I haven't seen this before. SB281 does say that anyone under the age of 21 cannot own a regulated firearm (which is a handgun).

Section 5-143 of SB281 states:

A PERSON WHO MOVES INTO THE STATE WITH THE INTENT OF BECOMING A RESIDENT SHALL REGISTER ALL REGULATED FIREARMS WITH THE SECRETARY WITHIN 30 90 DAYS AFTER ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY.

"Regulated firearm" in Maryland is a handgun, not an AR-15. Possession of an AR-15 is not illegal. The sale, rental or transfer an of AR-15 is banned.

Since you are military (I'm a SSG in the Guard), you're don't normally have the "intent of becoming a resident" since you're on PCS orders - assuming your active duty. If your HOR is Florida, then keep that as your home state.

As far as the "you'll never get a Handgun Permit (aka CCW) in Maryland" comment goes, that's not all together true. MSP has been lifting some of their restrictions lately and giving them for valid reasons (business owner, carrying of cash, etc.). It may all depend on your job in whatever branch you are. Plus, as soon as the DoD gets around to making changes to our CACs, if you're a CPL or higher, then you can lawfully carry under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) with a whole lot of conditions, of course. That eliminates the whole permit problems.

Send me a PM if you have questions about your specific situation.

Before SB281 ar-15's and AK's and a number of other rifles were considered regulated just like handguns and you had to buy them as such, you were required to be 21 and all the other stuff. Now they are banned except for Hbars which are not regulated and can be bought cash and carry just like any other non-regulated rifle or shotgun

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    if you like firearms and freedom...avoid Marylandistan at all costs! you can thank me later.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Before SB281 ar-15's and AK's and a number of other rifles were considered regulated just like handguns and you had to buy them as such, you were required to be 21 and all the other stuff. Now they are banned except for Hbars which are not regulated and can be bought cash and carry just like any other non-regulated rifle or shotgun

I'm well aware of all that. Where does it say in SB281 that you have to be 21 to move to Maryland with an AR-15? It says you have to register "regulated firearms" which are pistols, not an AR-15, if you are seeking residence here. If someone legally owned their AR-15 in another state, they don't have to be 21 to bring it here. And if the person is military, they aren't seeking residence here. Their residence is their home state - not Maryland. They're only stationed here.

And an AR-15 doesn't have to be registered within 90 days since it is no longer a regulated firearm - it's banned for sale, rental or transfer. Merely possessing is not illegal.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    OP, there is MUCH incorrect information in this thread, information that, if followed, is illegal.

In order to possess a regulated firearm in MD, you must be 21. Regulated firearms are handguns AND the firearms on the now Assault Long Gun list. The non-HBAR AR15 is an ALG (a person under 21 but 18+ may purchase and possess an HBAR.) Whether you have to register depends on HBAR or not, and residency intent.

Shoot me an email or give me a call and we can talk more in-depth if you would like.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Sure

Public Safety Article § 5-133

(d) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm.
    (2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:
    (i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm if the person is:
    1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and
    2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;
    (ii) the transfer by inheritance of title, and not of possession, of a regulated firearm;
    (iii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while performing official duties;
    (iv) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm if the person is:
    1. participating in marksmanship training of a recognized organization; and
    2. under the supervision of a qualified instructor;

and

PS 5-101

(p) “Regulated firearm” means:
    (1) a handgun; or
    (2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:
    (i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
    (ii) AK-47 in all forms;
    (iii) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto;
    (iv) AR 100 type semi-auto;
    (v) AR 180 type semi-auto;
    (vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto;
    (vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto;
    (viii) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics;
    (ix) Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto;
    (x) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto;
    (xi) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle;
    (xii) Calico models M-100 and M-900;
    (xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto;
    (xiv) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines;
    (xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;
    (xvi) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2;
    (xvii) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto;
    (xviii) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber);
    (xix) Feather AT-9 semi-auto;
    (xx) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle;
    (xxi) FNC semi-auto type carbine;
    (xxii) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun;
    (xxiii) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto;
    (xxiv) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto;
    (xxv) Heckler and Koch HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3;
    (xxvi) Holmes model 88 shotgun;
    (xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format;
    (xxviii) Manchester Arms “Commando” MK-45, MK-9;
    (xxix) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine;
    (xxx) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;
    (xxxi) Sterling Mark 6;
    (xxxii) P.A.W.S. carbine;
    (xxxiii) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);
    (xxxiv) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);
    (xxxv) SKS with detachable magazine;
    (xxxvi) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto;
    (xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;
    (xxxviii) Street sweeper assault type shotgun;
    (xxxix) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats;
    (xl) Unique F11 semi-auto type;
    (xli) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun;
    (xlii) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle;
    (xliii) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto;
    (xliv) Weaver Arms “Nighthawk” semi-auto carbine; or
    (xlv) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto “Terry”.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I thought non h-bars were considered regulated even outside of this state... So you are 20 years old with a regulated AR?

In most free states, a person over 18 may purchase any firearm face to face. An 18 year old IN resident can purchase a handgun FTF from an IN resident (federal law prevents a dealer from transferring a handgun to a person under 21).

Regulated long guns are a made-up MD classification.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    According to MSP Licensing Division, the only firearms that are "regulated" are handguns. The ALG list are not regulated, they are banned from sale, rental or transfer. I know SB281 says that the "banned list" is regulated, but the licensing division of MSP says otherwise.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    According to MSP Licensing Division, the only firearms that are "regulated" are handguns. The ALG list are not regulated, they are banned from sale, rental or transfer. I know SB281 says that the "banned list" is regulated, but the licensing division of MSP says otherwise.

I have no idea why you think this, but it is incorrect. PS Article § 5-101 defines regulated firearm, as I quoted above. Just because some regulated firearms are banned Assault Long Guns under other portions of MD law, it does not remove them from the definition of regulated firearm. As regulated firearms, persons under 21 are subject to certain possession restrictions (more-so than the general possession restrictions for any ALG not possessed before 10/1 by ALL persons.) Handguns are, for the most part, the only regulated firearms that may be transferred in the state post 10/1.

Also, SB281 2013 is not the entirety of MD law (or even the PS and Crim Articles it altered.) SB281 2014 is completely unrelated to firearms, also.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Since I'm apparently misinformed about persons under the age of 21 and possession of regulated firearms, I stand corrected on all points. I'll go back to being over the age of 21 now where none of this applies to me...LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom