• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    first question- you have a non-HBAR, 5.56, pre-Oct. 1, 2013 registered AR15 that needs to have the barrel replaced (shouldn't matter why).
    Can you replace it with another non-HBAR barrel today?

Second question - many "HBAR" barrels are not marked as such on the barrel itself. Does it HAVE to have HBAR stamped on it or will the invoice from the manufacturer/distributor stating its an HBAR in the product description be sufficient?

Thanks for your opinions/input.
    Best,
    Jim

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    well considering you can go to about a dozen different dealers off the top of my head and find most of their AR's in stock lack HBAR stamping what do you think?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Answer to first question is yes.

Answer to second question depends on who you ask. Dealers and the MSP interpret it differently.

I have purchased 2 HBARS since the law changed. Neither is marked HBAR, but both are HBAR. I really don't worry about it. I have never needed to show paperwork or guns to anyone for any reason for the last 30 plus years of gun ownership.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    Answer to first question is yes.

Answer to second question depends on who you ask. Dealers and the MSP interpret it differently.

I have purchased 2 HBARS since the law changed. Neither is marked HBAR, but both are HBAR. I really don't worry about it. I have never needed to show paperwork or guns to anyone for any reason for the last 30 plus years of gun ownership.

people are really overthinking the issue, there is no definition of HBAR and since nobody has been charged with having an unlawful HBAR there is no point in really worrying about what an HBAR is.

considering I have been shooting SBR's with silencers at public ranges in MD for the past 5 years and have never once been asked if my stuff is registered and or if I had the paper work, zero ****s are now given.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    I don't think many prosecutors would be willing to risk pushing the HBAR issue into a courtroom... that potentially could lead to at least the AR15 portion of the ban being neutered due to the law not actually defining what sets the one make/model that's not banned apart from the two make/models (and their copies) that are banned.

So, unless your barrel is obviously not an HBAR, you probably don't need to be concerned about it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We understand that you are seeking a solid answer. But for #2 there is NO solid answer. Ask 10 different MSP , and 10 different FFL , and you will get 37 different answers, all different. Ask same 20 people next week , and get 37 completely different answers. And logic , common sense , nor clear legal guidence come into play.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    The word "sufficient" at the end of your question bothers me. Sufficient for what? I am not sure exactly what you are trying to determine, but... If you are thinking of replacing the barrel on a "regulated" AR with a HBAR, that's fine but it will still be a regulated rifle.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    1) yes
    2) no. Invoice, cut sheet, catalog page, dealer records or markings - any of those suffice

Feb 28, 2013
    first question- you have a non-HBAR, 5.56, pre-Oct. 1, 2013 registered AR15 that needs to have the barrel replaced (shouldn't matter why).
    Can you replace it with another non-HBAR barrel today?

Sure can.

Second question - many "HBAR" barrels are not marked as such on the barrel itself. Does it HAVE to have HBAR stamped on it or will the invoice from the manufacturer/distributor stating its an HBAR in the product description be sufficient?

Ultimately it comes down to the barrel's shape and contour. Basically, as long as it isn't necked down anywhere, and it doesn't have the M203 notch, it's fine.

Thanks for your opinions/input.
    Best,
    Jim

Glad to be of help.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads