• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Thanks for all the pics.

I have a hard time thinking of a .223 in a pistol. No way would .458 SOCOM be a pistol. Then again, SBR does have Rifle in it.

Won't be using the .458 SOCOM for anything but close range stuff, like in the house, so I don't really want a 16"+ barrel on it. Maybe not a 10.5" barrel, but definitely something shorter than 16". I'll build the .300 Blk first, see how I like it at 10.5", see how much barrel length I need for a full powder burn in a .458 SOCOM, and then attempt to figure out what length barrel I want for the .458 SOCOM.

The .458 standing next to the .223 makes the .223 look small. Then again, I've done most of my deer hunting with a .300 Win Mag over the past 20 years, so when I saw my first .223 case I thought it was puny.

You're welcome for the pics. I like the fact a fired .223 case can sit in the muzzle with room to spare. The bullets pictured are a 300gr JHP, 400gr RN solid and 600gr JSP. If you handload you can use any bullet a .45-70 or any other .458 rifle cartridge takes. The lightest you can get is I think 250gr. Woodleigh and a few other make some really wicked solids for dangerous, thick skinned game.

Actually, .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf are both classified as pistol cartiridges :)

Yeah and somebody makes a .50 BMG pistol, I ain't that fookin' stupid either.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Actually, .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf are both classified as pistol cartiridges :)

Meh. I have a 45-70 BFR revolver. Same approx energy as the socom. Recoils not THAT bad and it would be even less from a gas gun.

But in looking up the energy calcs I see the socom uses the same pills as the 45-70. Will have to look into it... :D

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    How short would you suggest going without getting insane... assuming anything in .458 SOCOM is still within the realm of sanity?

Kind of an irrelevant question for me to answer, Mopar refers to me as Sasquatch for a reason and I'm not a fan of anything on the AR platform under 16" because they're too short for me.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks for all the pics.

I have a hard time thinking of a .223 in a pistol. No way would .458 SOCOM be a pistol. Then again, SBR does have Rifle in it.

Won't be using the .458 SOCOM for anything but close range stuff, like in the house, so I don't really want a 16"+ barrel on it. Maybe not a 10.5" barrel, but definitely something shorter than 16". I'll build the .300 Blk first, see how I like it at 10.5", see how much barrel length I need for a full powder burn in a .458 SOCOM, and then attempt to figure out what length barrel I want for the .458 SOCOM.

The .458 standing next to the .223 makes the .223 look small. Then again, I've done most of my deer hunting with a .300 Win Mag over the past 20 years, so when I saw my first .223 case I thought it was puny.

Forget the 458 SOCOM pistol. Just go with a 50 Beowulf. You will own their soul....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom