• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rouser

Proud Eastern Shoreman
    Jul 27, 2012
    Wicomico & Talbot Cos.
    I just wanted to share this story about Brownells with the rest of the community here. I have always had a pretty good experience with them until now, even though they are a little slow on shipping.

A couple of weeks ago on Febrary 13, I got an email from Brownells about a sale on ammo. I didn't see the email until the next morning, Valentine's Day. One of the items on sale in the email for that day only was some Federal XM855 Green Tip ammo. It was a good sale at 40 cents a round so I got online and placed an order for 600 rounds and two other items. Everything went fine and the ammo was shown as "In Stock". A little while later I got a confirmation email that confirmed all of my items, including the ammo, was waiting for shipment.

The next day I saw an item on the internet that said the ATF had issued a memo Friday night (the 13th) stating they were looking at the possiblity of banning the XM855 ammo and was seeking input. Ok, I thought I'll bet there's gonna be a rush to buy this ammo, but I was good cause I had already placed my order and all was good. WRONG!!

On Monday, the 16th, I got a shipment email from Brownells telling me my order was about to ship that day. The only problem was that Brownells email showed one of my items had been CANCELLED by the company. The other two minor items were still good but the ammo was cancelled. It's important to note they cancellled the ammo, they did not backorder it. I called Brownells and spoke to their customer service. They told me that it was out of stock. I questioned how that could be since the company confirmed to me the ammo was in stock, twice! Customer Service said their order computer sometimes does not communicate with their warehouse computer. Ok, then backorder the ammo since I didn't need it at a specific date. No, they would not do that and offered no explanation why not. So the ammo order was simply cancelled even though they made an offer to sell, I accepted the offer and provided payment. So I cancelled the rest of the order as well.

I can't help believe they saw the ATF news and decided that there would be a buying frenzy and that supply and demand would allow them to push the price of their existing stock up by a good bit, thereby giving them a good windfall of profit. I think any well known supplier with integrity would have said Ok, we screwed up and the ammo went out of stock before we could stop the orders, but we will put it on backorder until we can get some in stock and send it to you at that time, whenever that is. But no, the order was just cancelled. Even if ATF does eventually ban this ammo it will take some time and there is a good bit in the supply lines now. They will eventually get more, almost every one else has it for sale but at almost twice the price before the ATF memo. I just think they screwed me for the extra money.

Based on this action on their part, Brownells has lost integrity in my eyes. I wonder how many other people got the same story.

Rant Over.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Bitch, bitch, bitch... Did you ever order an item that was on sale and the same thing happen, even though the ATF didn't talk about banning it? I have. I took it in stride, waited till it came back in stock, then ordered it again.

You are complaining abut something that was probably OOS, before you placed the order. A lot of online companies don't have real time inventory tracking for firearm related items. Joe Bob's doesn't have real time inventory tracking. Do you get upset when you try to order something and later you find it is OOS?

You want your green tips? Go to WalMart or Dicks. They have plenty. Brownell's doesn't want your business, if you are going to make huge jumps like this.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    How do you know thats actually what happened?

He doesn't. He is making a huge leap, because he thinks Brownell's is going to pull a CTD and jack the prices up.

I don't think he has ever dealt with online ordering and inventory systems. I have dealt with inventory systems, and even those that claim they are "real time" are actually about 1 minute to 24 hours behind current time, depending on a lot of factors.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    He doesn't. He is making a huge leap, because he thinks Brownell's is going to pull a CTD and jack the prices up.

I don't think he has ever dealt with online ordering and inventory systems. I have dealt with inventory systems, and even those that claim they are "real time" are actually about 1 minute to 24 hours behind current time, depending on a lot of factors.

If I order something online and it's "in stock" and my order is taken, I expect it to be honored as such regardless or at least to be offered the option of backorder.. how about supporting the MS community?... The OP is just reporting his experience with Brownells to the rest of us.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If I order something online and it's "in stock" and my order is taken, I expect it to be honored as such regardless or at least to be offered the option of backorder.. how about supporting the MS community?... The OP is just reporting his experience with Brownells to the rest of us.

If you think there is really such a thing as a true real time inventory system that is up to the second, you are sorely mistaken. That is all I was saying.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    If you think there is really such a thing as a true real time inventory system that is up to the second, you are sorely mistaken. That is all I was saying.

If you think there isn't, you are sorely mistaken. I've helped to build online vouchering systems that posted within seconds.

You think the stock exchange and trading software isn't realtime? Hell, they post in milliseconds.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I would be annoyed too...they should have at least back ordered it. Then again, with the run on XM855 I guess they didn't want to deal with months/years of backorders hanging out there.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    I ran into the same issue. Either someone got early word and they oversold their inventory, or their supplier pulled out from underneath them. As long as it doesn't reappear at Brownells for twice the price or more I won't get bent out of shape over it.

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    Brownells even states on the final checkout page that some items may go out of stock before the order is complete. And considering the pending ATF decision, I can see why they wouldn't be able to keep a backorder status. Brownells has always been stellar for me. I don't buy from anywhere else unless they don't carry it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom