• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PIRANHA

Greek Redneck
    Sep 22, 2013
    Essex, Maryland
    I'd look into an EAA Pavona based on the CZ75, not the highest quality of pistols but they have a great warranty and go bang every time. They are designed specifically for women with easy to rack slides and nice girly sparkly colors. It's my wife's next handgun just because she likes the way it looks LOL

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    My wife, with small hands, goes for the Beretta 92FS.

We have a S&W 3913 (a.k.a. "Ladysmith") which fits her hands better but due to increased recoil due to it being lighter/smaller she can't shoot worth a darn with it. I can't either, for that matter.

We also have a Sig P229 which holds & shoots awesomely for me but the grip is way too thick for her.

So beware that smaller is not always better and that fitting & shooting handguns is a very tricky thing. At least it was for us. Try to shoot before you buy unless you're nuts like me and you buy up everything in sight on impulse. :D

If you do get a Beretta 92FS beware that new they are now full of plastic parts and to either get an older model or order the metal parts upgrade kit to go with it.

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    My wife, with small hands, goes for the Beretta 92FS.

We have a S&W 3913 (a.k.a. "Ladysmith") which fits her hands better but due to increased recoil due to it being lighter/smaller she can't shoot worth a darn with it. I can't either, for that matter.

We also have a Sig P229 which holds & shoots awesomely for me but the grip is way too thick for her.

So beware that smaller is not always better and that fitting & shooting handguns is a very tricky thing.

This. Wife has no problem with my 92FS. She can't rack the compact Springfields. My recommendation based on your desires is to look at any of the full or mid size 9mms that have changeable back straps. Enough mass to lighten an already soft shooting cartridge, easier to rack, and a custom fit.

Trying rental guns at the range is a good way to narrow things down.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is the question. You need to teach her how to rack the slide by pushing. Have her hold the pistol in her dominant hand and grab the slide with the other. Then tell her to focus on pushing the frame forward rather than pulling the slide back.

Rack%20the%20slide%201web.jpg

As for a suggestion in 9mm, one thought would be a 1911 in 9mm. Slim frame and smooth recoil.

Doing it the way in the picture really puts a lot of pressure on the wrist and hand. Instead, hold it in the dominant hand, turn it sideways(birdman style) and reach straight forward with the non-dominant hand to grab the slide with your thumb pointed downrange instead of back at you. With both elbows in a soft lock, all you need is to just grip and hang on to the back of the slide(being mindful not to pinch yourself in the ejection port), and use your big shoulder muscles to push the frame forward. In addition to being easier, it keeps the gun pointed downrange for new shooters. I've seen a LOT of newbies muzzle-f the person to their left(right hand shooter) or right(left hand shooter) by the method shown in the picture.

TangaZulu

Dec 19, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    Struggles? Are you teaching a push/pull method?

If she is struggling with a semi auto's slide the only alternative is a revolver.

What is she struggling to do with the semi? Racking it?

I haven't instructed her on push/pull, mainly bc I never use it - but no why reason she can't learn. Me either for that matter!

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    My wife, my mother, my mother-in-law, and every woman that's been shooting with me has preferred racking the slide on the H&K USP. Once taught proper technique, none of them has had trouble with a SIG, S&W M&P, Glock or a 1911. It seems to take more time and frustration when manipulating CZs.

I think that once proper technique is learned, grippable surface area on the slide is the main positive or negative factor.

TangaZulu

Dec 19, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    I understand the concern. I have a good friend who has some issues with her wrist due to surgery. She has a hard time with even an MP shield 9mm. She can however rack a 380 slide. Nothing wrong with 380, I know it's a different caliber but that might be a good thing. She may have apprehension if she doubts her ability to use the 9 mm. Plus she won't steal all your ammo lol

Due to whatever reason some people cannot rack a slide, it's best to find the gun that fits the person, not try to force a person to fit to the gun.

I thought I saw a new Taurus that had leverage wings on the back of the slide, my Google fu is weak tonight, maybe someone else can find it.

TD

I haven't ruled out the 380 if it comes to that. I read about the TCP with wings but get the feeling they're still a bit gimmicky. Maybe someone who's experienced with it can weigh in.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I haven't ruled out the 380 if it comes to that. I read about the TCP with wings but get the feeling they're still a bit gimmicky. Maybe someone who's experienced with it can weigh in.

A full'ish size locked-breech pistol in .380 should be super easy to rack. The walther PK380 or glock 42 should both be extremely easy to manipulate.

May 2, 2015
    Female here, in possession of girly hands- so I thought I might chime in. Although racking the slide has never really been an issue for me... I really love my glock 19, mainly because its a nice size for my hands... and if its for a second home protection kind of gun, you can also put a light on it.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    try a full size pistol.

Small figure ladies do not necessary means they had to use compact or sub compact pistol. Wife had problem racking a sub compact Glock but had no problem with G17.

Grip size is nearly the same, but G17 has longer recoil spring. The shorter recoil spring on a sub compact pistol will have to absorb the same amount of recoil with a much less length, thus harder to rack..

full size is heavier by a few oz, but will also reduce recoil to make it easier to handle.

typical 9mm revolver requires moon clip. it can be bulky and quite complicated for reload. (Pop cylinder, muzzle up, press ejection rod, clean and case that doesn't want to come out, reinsert moon clip, vs press a bottom, insert new mag and rack. 5 moves against 3) given if the ladies won't spend time to practice reloading. A double action mag feed pistol without safety can be much more easier for them to get used to.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Small figure ladies do not necessary means they had to use compact or sub compact pistol. Wife had problem racking a sub compact Glock but had no problem with G17.

Grip size is nearly the same, but G17 has longer recoil spring. The shorter recoil spring on a sub compact pistol will have to absorb the same amount of recoil with a much less length, thus harder to rack..

I believe the slide travels the same distance on a fulls-size vs. compact vs. subcompact. Slide travel is a function of cartridge length. Given the same amount of cartridge power, a lighter slide will attain a higher speed and require a stiffer (often two-stage) recoil spring to maintain the same travel.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Doing it the way in the picture really puts a lot of pressure on the wrist and hand. Instead, hold it in the dominant hand, turn it sideways(birdman style) and reach straight forward with the non-dominant hand to grab the slide with your thumb pointed downrange instead of back at you. With both elbows in a soft lock, all you need is to just grip and hang on to the back of the slide(being mindful not to pinch yourself in the ejection port), and use your big shoulder muscles to push the frame forward. In addition to being easier, it keeps the gun pointed downrange for new shooters. I've seen a LOT of newbies muzzle-f the person to their left(right hand shooter) or right(left hand shooter) by the method shown in the picture.

Excellent advice here. It makes a big difference.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Yeah, the old size doesn't matter argument. Take it however you want:). I have small to med hands for a guy and found my 92FS to be too big. If I need 2 hands to reach the controls I don't like it. Yet I know of many petite women who are fine with their 92. One thing, a blowback like a PPK is very hard to rack if you have any kind of wrist/grip strength.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    S & W Governor, Double 00 Buck and Colt 45, great home defence, no slide issues ;)

I forgot to mention - my wife also has a similar revolver - a Taurus judge with a muzzle brake.

Recoil can be a bit much but she does OK with it. That frame has a long front end and tends to enhance recoil I think. But, loaded with .410 Winchester PDX the error due to recoil might not matter so much. But again, only 5 shots.

I'll have to discuss which she would rather jump for when the time comes: The Beretta 92FS or the Taurus judge.

The last time we thought we had a real break in she went for the Beretta. Or did I fetch it and hand it to her... strangely, I can't remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom