• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    These are also completely badass. Love mine....:D

20150120_201119_zps9f0672b9.jpg

20150120_201240_zps4bc01b8c.jpg

Man yours looks better than the stock picture!! Blacked out rear sight with white dot front sight NICE!!

ok, i better stop looking at pics of that....:nono:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You can thank the Hildabeast for that one.

Here is yet another beautiful wheelgun marred by the detestable Hillary hole.
    We went to visit my daughter yesterday and her boyfriend couldn't wait to show me his Marlin 336. It had a safety, It just looked so out of place and unnecessary.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I would leave it there also. It doesn't hurt anything, and Heaven forbid you ever need to use the gun in self-defense and someone wants to sue or charge you. You can bet the "he's the type of bloodthirsty Rambo cowboy who would go out of his way to disable a safety feature" argument would be used against you.

Wow good point, I didn't even think of that at all.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Last year, I decided for my next gun purchase would be my first revolver. A big gap in my collection, and I have always been drawn to them.

After TONS of research, going through pages and pages of revolver threads, a few gun show trips, hours of youtube videos, and visiting local shops to fondle and get revolver advice....Duffys, 2A Sales, Engage Armament, Tyler Firearms, Freestate, Blue Fins to name a few, were all extremely helpful.
    I finally decided on a S&W 686P 3 inch Talo edition. Thanks to all you guys for helping me in my search for my first revolver!!

My first revolver too - and agree, she's a beaut that preternaturally directs rounds where pointed at a target. Ended up gifting this one to my wife before October 2013 (to save her from coursework in getting an HQL - as it's the firearm that we have that she is most comfortable with - she shoots 38 Specials out of it - and these shots go where she wants and have nearly no recoil). While I've gotten a couple of other revolvers since, I still feel a void. Saw the 586 Performance Center model at Engage last week, and that trigger was sweet.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    My first revolver too - and agree, she's a beaut that preternaturally directs rounds where pointed at a target. Ended up gifting this one to my wife before October 2013 (to save her from coursework in getting an HQL - as it's the firearm that we have that she is most comfortable with - she shoots 38 Specials out of it - and these shots go where she wants and have nearly no recoil). While I've gotten a couple of other revolvers since, I still feel a void. Saw the 586 Performance Center model at Engage last week, and that trigger was sweet.

My gf is an excellent shot with it using 38 special also, her first shot out of it was a dead center bulls eye.

Everyone seems to really love the PC tuned triggers.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I didn't know any existed.

But if shopping for something similar, see these less than $350 deals on Model 64s ...

No internal lock older model ...

http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns/smith-wesson/smith-and-wesson-m64-revolver.html

Newer models with the internal lock ...

http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns/smith-wesson/smith-and-wesson-64-8-revolver.html

J&G was recently charging $450 for used Model 64s in worse shape with the internal lock.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Model 67s are similar to the 64s, but with adjustable rear sights in case this feature is desirable.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Does anyone know when and how many 686's were made specifically in 38 special?

I think Fidelity is correct in that the 686 has always been 357 mag with the ability to shoot 38 special.

The model 64's, among others are specifically 38 special only.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    it would be cool to come across one of the competition 38 special 686 models that is mentioned in the page
    Just for the record, the article says 38 Super and indeed it was a 38 Super that looks like the recent slab side barrel and unfluted cylinder Performance Center guns.

I think Fidelity is correct in that the 686 has always been 357 mag with the ability to shoot 38 special.

That's not quite what he said. They definitely exist. There are 2 for sale in Montgomery county. 686-6's 4 & 6". http://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/BI.aspx?Keywords=686&Sort=4&ca=5000107&mfg=1000259

I did another search and found some info. They are wrongly attributed to be Conrail guns, those were 681's. Some people think they were made for Brazil. Other people think that S&W made them occasionally. No idea of numbers though.

Thanks for the info on the other S&W's but I was specifically asking about the 686 in 38 special.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I love my 686...I got it for target shooting, so mine has the 6" barrel. Very manageable to shoot, with 38's or 357's. It was the very first handgun I learned to shoot, and years later I finally picked one up. My wife wasn't too happy about the purchase-until she fired it. Now we fight over it at the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom