• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I must have been lucky. I had one that never had problems. I sold it because I wanted a better quality threaded 22LR pistol (one not made of pot metal.) I went with a 22/45.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    As stated above, CCI Mini-mag or Tac22 Winchesters...I'm surprised who ever sold you the gun didn't tell you about ammo choices. Anything less than 1200FPS and the gun will not fully cycle...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I wish the fans of these guns could have given me their phone # so they could tell the countless owners I tried to help. They used the suggested ammo, tried countless lubes, different magazines, Recoil Springs, sent the guns back to Sig and/or Walther numerous times with no improvement.

Silly me, it must have been my imagination. Even after trying everything possible, they are still turds.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Maybe some are.

As I said, the one I have works fine with CCI Minimags. It will NOT run on Winchester M22, it does not extract.

But the wear marks indicate it was run without proper lube. First thing I did was clean and lube it.

You are welcome to stop by an look at it sometime. I am not far from where we met.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Maybe some are.

As I said, the one I have works fine with CCI Minimags. It will NOT run on Winchester M22, it does not extract.

But the wear marks indicate it was run without proper lube. First thing I did was clean and lube it.

You are welcome to stop by an look at it sometime. I am not far from where we met.

I have seen examples that seem to work well, but in my opinion they are not the norm.

I'm happy to gear you and others have examples that work, IMO you should buy a lottery ticket

I have not gauged, measured, or observed anything marked on the "good" units that can be replicated on the problem units minus swapping frames, barrels, and slides.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I was told the same thing when looking for a 22. I have an SR22 that runs great. The Bucket O Bullets are the only thing that gives me occasional FTFs. Now I just keep those for my Marlin 795.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    SIG and Walther .22 pistols are junk IMO. Can't polish a turd.

They are my feelings also. The Sig is such a POS that I would not even consider selling it to another unsuspecting fool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I have the 22 conversion kit on my 220 SAO. It still has problems, mainly magazine based. SIG magazines suck. All polymer, everything wears and stretches.

Even the straight up factory 45 acp mags have weak springs.

How did it get to the point where gun owners would accept bad mags out of the box and plan on having to rebuild them even before getting them home?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    As stated above, CCI Mini-mag or Tac22 Winchesters...I'm surprised who ever sold you the gun didn't tell you about ammo choices. Anything less than 1200FPS and the gun will not fully cycle...
    Well I've got a box of min-mags that says you are wrong. I've also got Wolf, Wildcats, Federal in both standard and hi velocity to boot.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Well I've got a box of min-mags that says you are wrong. I've also got Wolf, Wildcats, Federal in both standard and hi velocity to boot.

I wouldn't dispute with you on the mosquito at all...I've had decent luck with mine using Mini-Mags and M22. I didn't do my research before I purchased it and the guys at GC warned me that the weapon was in fact..."finicky". I dealt with it...and like some, I'd like to get rid of it. My Buckmark puts the Mosquito to shame...

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Yep I have a Mark II but wanted something more conventional in appearance and lighter. This will be my project gun. It will end up either running reliably before I'm done or it will be scrap.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Maybe some are.

Funny, mine runs great on the Win M-22. I hardly shoot it anymore though, I've got 5 other .22 pistols including a relatively new M&P Compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Mosquito is famous/ notorus. To be charitable, it is a top choice only if a serious SIG collector, or specifically intended as a SIG understudy.

That said, Biggfootette's Mosquito has been well lubed, broken in with mimimags, and has so far been reliable with all solid .22lr HV tried.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Anyone want to buy mine? I've run it heavily lubed, lightly lubed with all kinds of ammo. "Sweet Gun"...

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Yeah, I haven't met my "50 post" mandatory requirement but when I do...my nickel slide Mosquito will be posted...LOL seriously, the advertisement will have the disclaimer "It's f'n finicky!"...

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My mosquito runs as well as my Ruger SR22 and eats everything I have put it in. (I do get an occasional ftf, but I get that in all my .22 handguns and rifles).

ETA: I run my Sig suppressed, so maybe that is why I have good luck with it.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Does your mosquito have a threaded barrel. If you get sick of it PM me with a price it might be a good gun to have spare parts for because of course it's exempt from Sigs lifetime warranty.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    On the contrary most .22 semis are very reliable. I agree the Sig is kind of POS from the ones I have seen at the range. Even my GSG 1911 .22 conversion was POS until I actually got into it and found what areas I needed to file/grind to get it to work flawlessly in my Dan Wesson Guardian. Now it is good to go. You do have to maintain them on a tighter schedule than centerfire guns. They tend to run better when lubed sparingly. Of course then they might wear faster as a result, but 100% reliability in exchange for rebuilding every 25k-30k rounds is a trade I will make every time. Just had to rebuild my #2 Buckmark last week. Started having light strike issues even when clean. Usually means the main spring is going. Tore it down to the parts, replaced the mainspring, installed a new VQ hammer and sear spring (because I had them), undid the Heggis flip (VQ says the trigger should be #2 with their parts, but I found it was heavier than that), reassembled and found it ran 5 full mags of mixed ammo with no issues. Did my #1 Buckmark back last year when it developed a similar problem but only did the mainspring, and left the Heggis flip alone. It went back to total reliability also. Have never taken a Sig apart so don't know the issues. I think they have gone over the fixes on RimfireCentral.com.

High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    Mine is very unreliable too, but to make matters worse it is the most inaccurate gun that I own.

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    I bought mine for 75 dollars from someone who didn't want to deal with it. CCI Minimags run well. NOTHING else will work. Tried a bunch and did nothing but stovepipe or FTE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom