Votes: 27 44.3%
    • CZ Scorpion

Votes: 34 55.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Debating between the two and wanted to see what the masses thought.
    Your votes will not be made public
    Thanks in advance!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I noticed you posted this in the rifles forum - are you planning on SBR'ing whatever you choose down the line?

If so, you'd be better off with the 9mm AR pistol.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    As a pistol, owners aren't fond of the CZ. It's better with one of the braces and they love it as a SBR. It's also a group that already owns other AR's so the attraction is that it is different. It is also cheaper than the MP5 clones.

Owning one is not inexpensive once you start buying tax stamps, suppressors, cerakote jobs, lasers and red dots. For a new gun, there is a lot of interest in developing aftermarket parts. The AR wins out for the variety of parts and manufacturers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, the problem with the Scorp is that it can't make OAL to SBR in MD without going through some real contortions. For a 9mm AR pistol, you just choose a 10.5" barrel and call it a day.

If sanity broke out at the MSP and they stopped trying to (incorrectly) apply the copycat criteria to SBRs/SBSs, I'd definitely look harder at the Scorp.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since I don't have to deal with that 29" nonsense here, I'd pick the CZ. Not just because I'm a CZ fan, but the fact that it's built as a 9mm, not a .223 reconfigured to 9mm.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If anyone was at the Chantilly show this past weekend. Precision Firearms had a really sweet 9mm ar15 with the troy colapsable stock. Wish I would have gotten a picture of it !!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    bottom line for me is cost. i can build a 9mm ar for quite a bit less than the cz. but it doesnt mean i dont want one.:)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If the CZ has a delayed blowback action (I'm too lazy to look) that should make it a better SBR/suppressor host as it would be quieter than a 9mm AR.

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    I don't know how you can build a legit 9mm ar for less than a cz scorpion with quality parts but kudos if you can...
    personally the cost of mags for the cz alone is a winner, if you are trying to sbr the final outcome the cz has the only hang up of 922, which isn't a big deal... kits are available, the cz is by far my favorite to shoot I have mpx cz and 9mm ar and the cz wins hands down, great suppressor host as well.... it is just a cool gun...
    also the cz can make oal in the state you have to be creative... pm if you want the answers how... anyone that says it cant be done doesn't want it to be done...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't know how you can build a legit 9mm ar for less than a cz scorpion with quality parts but kudos if you can... personally the cost of mags for the cz alone is a winner, if you are trying to sbr the final outcome the cz has the only hang up of 922, which isn't a big deal... kits are available, the cz is by far my favorite to shoot I have mpx cz and 9mm ar and the cz wins hands down, great suppressor host as well.... it is just a cool gun... also the cz can make oal in the state you have to be creative... pm if you want the answers how... anyone that says it cant be done doesn't want it to be done...

Looked it up. Direct blowback. The price of the guns and mags are great. I have about $2000 in my 9mm AR.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Well, I am new Scorpin owner, so I will go with my vote for that. Not the 9mm ARs aren't well established, but I like that the Scorpion is a true 9mm, not something that was reborn into one. The upside to the AR is definitely parts availability. That being said, the Scorpion is quickly gaining in popularity, so parts are coming into the market more and more frequently. It's a very natural to hold and ergonomic. It's simple to breakdown and clean. Someone said earlier that while this is a pistol, it really begs to be an SBR. With a buffer tube adapter, HEra SFU, and a standard buff tube, it will be just over 29 inches with a MFT minimalist stock. That's the measurement I used on my Form1. Honestly, I don't care for the look of the CZ stock anyway. 922 parts are available if you look around. Everyone has an AR (or at least you should). Get something a little different.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    922 parts are available if you look around.

On Facebook today, someone was asking $35 for the 922 parts today (no stock, which being made in CZ doesn't count anyway). Hard to beat that price.

Other than a so so trigger, there are two problem areas. Everything is attached with gobs of loctite so removing the trigger group screw or barrel nut can be problematic. The other issue, which makes no sense on a gun that has been used as a subgun for police and military, is that civilians are cracking the feed lips of the plastic mags. CZ has been warrantying those.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    That is a good deal on those parts. An ARFCOMer is hooking me up with a trigger and disconnector. The issue with the mags I believe has been remedied. Seeing that it seemed to be an issue here in the US, I wonder if it was just a bad batch of mags. As far as the heavy trigger, I believe that relates to the super hefty bolt. That plus the trigger spring kit from HBI has great reviews, and is inexpensive.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    My trigger is now 4.5 pounds. The HBI trigger springs and polished trigger group does the trick.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If the CZ has a delayed blowback action (I'm too lazy to look) that should make it a better SBR/suppressor host as it would be quieter than a 9mm AR.

No its a delayed blowback. It is a direct blow back same as the 9mm ar15 .

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I've been eyeing the CZ because if you go SBR/Suppressed seemed to be better than the AR...It is a tuff choice due to there are dedicated 9mm AR available and can be built too...

MAC did a nice comparison with the MPX which is AR based...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've been eyeing the CZ because if you go SBR/Suppressed seemed to be better than the AR...It is a tuff choice due to there are dedicated 9mm AR available and can be built too... MAC did a nice comparison with the MPX which is AR based...

Why do you say it's better than a suppressed SBR AR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom