• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aebsr

Reluctant Militant
    Jan 19, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Quick background: I've shot Trap & Skeet for about 14 years. Pistol target shooting for about 2 years. I've fired a 9mm Carbine once about 12 years ago. It was short, fun, but forgettable.

I just got back from United Gun Shop for an unrelated purchase and kind of fell in love with one of the employee's custom MD compliant ARs.

I'm a N00B when it comes to Rifles and am only considering purchase/build as a plinker or target rifle. It would get much more use if I could find a Walk & Shoot course within reasonable distance.

My question to you fine folks is Carbine or AR? Build or Buy? And then of course there's ammunition. The only thing I'm not really considering is 22.

Thanks in advance for your input and schooling.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Quick background: I've shot Trap & Skeet for about 14 years. Pistol target shooting for about 2 years. I've fired a 9mm Carbine once about 12 years ago. It was short, fun, but forgettable.

I just got back from United Gun Shop for an unrelated purchase and kind of fell in love with one of the employee's custom MD compliant ARs.

I'm a N00B when it comes to Rifles and am only considering purchase/build as a plinker or target rifle. It would get much more use if I could find a Walk & Shoot course within reasonable distance.

My question to you fine folks is Carbine or AR? Build or Buy? And then of course there's ammunition. The only thing I'm not really considering is 22.

Thanks in advance for your input and schooling.

I'm not an expert with ARs, but this should answer your question.

Carbine is the barrel length. In an AR, there is Carbine, Mid and Rifle length.

14.5" vs 16" vs 20".

aebsr

Reluctant Militant
    Jan 19, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I'm not an expert with ARs, but this should answer your question.

Carbine is the barrel length. In an AR, there is Carbine, Mid and Rifle length.

14.5" vs 16" vs 20".

Derp. Thanks. Then I guess what I was confused by was ammo. My experience with Carbines were limited to pistol rounds like 9mm. Whenever someone talks AR I hear nothing but 223, 556, 308...

aebsr

Reluctant Militant
    Jan 19, 2014
    Montgomery County
    So I guess here's my revised question:

Given the N00B status, with a primary use as a target rifle and the VERY occasional Walk & Shoot - Would anyone recommend against a custom built 9mm AR?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Given the N00B status, with a primary use as a target rifle and the VERY occasional Walk & Shoot - Would anyone recommend against a custom built 9mm AR?

9mm ARs are a lot of fun. I highly recommend them. There is a bit more to building one than a 5.56.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Get a 16" barreled AR. More fun and parts availability is out there. You can build one relatively cheaply too. I'm building the wifey's first AR for about 550-600 with a free floated fore end and all kinds of other goodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom