• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 19, 2012
    I saw something posted on Facebook last night by MD Minuteman saying that a Delegate had or was planning on introducing a bill to ban suppressors in MD?

Has anyone else heard of this and, if so, who the Delegate is?

There's so much crime committed with them you know.

Thanks

Dec 19, 2012
    This seems tremendously unlikely to me to gain any traction, even if it's submitted.

Nothing surprises me when it comes to gun control laws in Annapolis. I checked the FP post again and it said it was a Montgomery Co. Delegate.

All that said, I would like to know who it is in hopes of having a conversation with them about the reasoning.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Love it...Considering the background check a NFA transfer requires, this is absurd.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    This is probably in response to proposed federal legislation (hearing protection act) to remove suppressors from the class 3 list/process. They figure if it happens, they are ready to deny suppressors.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    This shit drives me crazy! Only in America would we make it very difficult to get a device that helps preserve your hearing! The feds get a little brain activity and realize they never should have banned suppressors so naturally MD decides they need to ban them. You can't make this crap up!

Suppressors should be a $100-200 item that anyone can buy.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This shit drives me crazy! Only in America would we make it very difficult to get a device that helps preserve your hearing! The feds get a little brain activity and realize they never should have banned suppressors so naturally MD decides they need to ban them. You can't make this crap up! Suppressors should be a $100-200 item that anyone can buy.

What about all the times suppressors are used in crimes? It's gotta happen all the time....you just don't hear about it.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    This shit drives me crazy! Only in America would we make it very difficult to get a device that helps preserve your hearing! The feds get a little brain activity and realize they never should have banned suppressors so naturally MD decides they need to ban them. You can't make this crap up!

Suppressors should be a $100-200 item that anyone can buy.

Is it possible that a Dr. could write a prescription for a silencer (as a medical device) for this reason?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Its just the post from md minutemen, whom if you know, is pretty well embedded. i'd consider him a very good source.
    they have until friday to get bills submitted, without having to go through the rules committee. might take until monday or tuesday next week to appear on the mga wrbsiye.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Is it possible that a Dr. could write a prescription for a silencer (as a medical device) for this reason?

I believe I can make an argument for using money from a HSA or flex spending account. I think it would probably require a hearing test that shows some hearing loss. It is possible that we could get it by without that. I would be more than happy to write a letter stating that a suppressor is recommended to prevent (further) hearing loss. I have never tried, but it's logical.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I believe I can make an argument for using money from a HSA or flex spending account. I think it would probably require a hearing test that shows some hearing loss. It is possible that we could get it by without that. I would be more than happy to write a letter stating that a suppressor is recommended to prevent (further) hearing loss. I have never tried, but it's logical.

I have very bad hearing loss in the right ear. I wear ear plugs AND earmuffs when shooting. Other activities like snow blower I just wear the earmuffs.

I think I'd be a good candidate for a suppressor prescription... (wife might not agree...)

If this is indeed submitted, does anyone think the MGA will reconsider - or will some jack*ss on the committee suggest wearing heavy ear protection?

I would think home defense would be the absolute best candidate for suppressors - no one would wear ear muffs when attempting to deal with a home invader and the noise blast would deafen me so I couldn't hear if there were any others.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have very bad hearing loss in the right ear. I wear ear plugs AND earmuffs when shooting. Other activities like snow blower I just wear the earmuffs. I think I'd be a good candidate for a suppressor prescription... (wife might not agree...) If this is indeed submitted, does anyone think the MGA will reconsider - or will some jack*ss on the committee suggest wearing heavy ear protection? I would think home defense would be the absolute best candidate for suppressors - no one would wear ear muffs when attempting to deal with a home invader and the noise blast would deafen me so I couldn't hear if there were any others.

I have a suppressor on my HD gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom