• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Milquetoast

Mar 7, 2016
    Wedigo and Boom, that suggestion did not fly into one ear and out the other haha. I will consider that.

Thanks

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It sounds like you are getting into some tricky territory...I'm not sure what if anything I condone, but I'll throw a few thoughts out there...

Despite the lack of paperwork, I'm pretty sure that in MD, in terms of carrying or storing (or getting arrested over), that reproduction is a full-fledged handgun, even as cap and ball.

If carefully loaded and maintained as cap and ball, it is still quite lethal.

Even with the conversion, to be any kind of useful in a home defense situation, it's going to have to be kept loaded, right? That means you'll need a safe...some kind of secure but quick access, otherwise what's the point?

Learn Krav Maga?

That's my two cents...I know, I know...it ain't work a nickel.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Wait....you're over 21 and still asking permission from the parents to buy stuff? If you're looking to get a gun for home defense, take it seriously. Get a good gun, secure it when it's not in your immediate possession, seek out training, don't apologize.

Milquetoast

Mar 7, 2016
    Art, I do have a safe, which I keep it in when I am not home, otherwise, it is on my bed frame next to the wall. Yes, I saw some ballistic gel shooting from the .44 round ball, and its certainly lethal enough, and a plus is that I don't think it will over penetrate into the neighbor's fridge!

smokey, yes, I kind of have to. They're paying for my college and housing and food and everything else. They may threaten to take some or all of it away if they know I have it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Art, I do have a safe, which I keep it in when I am not home, otherwise, it is on my bed frame next to the wall. Yes, I saw some ballistic gel shooting from the .44 round ball, and its certainly lethal enough, and a plus is that I don't think it will over penetrate into the neighbor's fridge!

smokey, yes, I kind of have to. They're paying for my college and housing and food and everything else. They may threaten to take some or all of it away if they know I have it.

Why would they be that upset?

You and your Dad are getting your HQLs together.

He already knows you're into guns.

Milquetoast

Mar 7, 2016
    smokey, because I went behind his back to get it. He explicitly said he doesn't want me to have a gun here, since people could break in and steal it. He may warm up to me having one in the future, but for now, I cant tell him I have it. Yeah were getting the HQL this summer together, and Ill buy a Lionheart LH9, and give him back his DP51. Haha if I already have mine done, it'll be quite the surprise.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

I would say that sucks ... but .... they're paying for all your stuff. If your dad is going to go ahead and do the HQL thing/buy guns with you this summer, why not just wait a couple months instead of risking messing things up? Have you just gone to your pop and talked it over to see how things go?

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    This whole story just doesn't add up.

"I come from a household with firearms that we have just in case, and we shoot often."
    "my family doesn't want me to have a firearm at my place."
    "I am also 21"
    "I don't want my family to discover that I have it until I graduate."
    "I am an adult now"
    "when I get the house, maybe he'll let me buy something"
    "I could not get a long rifle or a shotgun, since they were too big to put in a bag"
    "I wish I could have my AR here!"

First time poster, 21 year old adult comes from a household of firearms owners that shoot often, he has a safe and an AR, and lives is a bad neighborhood but...

Parents wont let him keep a gun but he thinks a black powder conversion would be ok?

My guess is you are either prohibited or a Frosh supporter...

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Wow this thread is odd. I typed a lot more and then deleted, I will give the benefit of doubt that this is legitimate and not trolling.

Get a c&r if you really want an old timey revolver get a nagant. They are pretty cheap.

Milquetoast

Mar 7, 2016
    smokey, No, I haven't talked to him about having a gun, but I have let on to him about the increasing frequency of the alerts that we get, so maybe he will warm up to the idea. And I already have the revolver. If I didn't, then I might think about pleading to him that I need a real handgun for protection.

bulge, the AR is in my dads name, but it is "mine." It is at my permanent house, not my college house. Not sure why you quoted the shotgun or long gun thing. I don't want a longer gun just in case I don't tell him I have the gun before he helps me move this summer to new house. With the revolver, I can just put it in my bag, or if all else fails, let my best friend keep it for a week. First time poster because usually the answers I need are already asked. In this case, I didn't see anything, even after 2 weeks of searching.

I am not trolling. I came to you guys for answers, and it seems I have it. I already have the revolver, and am looking at the options I have. Now, there is the conversion cylinder, which I found was legal to use for self defense in the home, or a c&r. It may sound like I am prohibited because of my criteria, but I guess you'll have to trust me that I am not. BP is the best thing I can have right now as far as protection goes, without going through any paperwork. I just don't want to have my dad find out that I have been going around his back, so I am avoiding paperwork. Which might rule out the C&r license.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I am not trolling. I came to you guys for answers, and it seems I have it.

Some people here are cranky. I'm guilty at times. Let it roll off. ;)

For clarity, a C&R license doesn't apply when buying C&R handguns in MD. You just check off the C&R box at the top of the MD 77r form and it exempts a C&R handgun sale from the HQL requirement. You still have the 7-day wait while MSP processes the paperwork.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Well it certainly sounds like a good user name you chose.

Might I suggest you grow up and if you do for some reason need dads permission, then oh I don't know have a conversation with him?

Milquetoast

Mar 7, 2016
    Boom, I did not know that! I'll look into it. after you guys suggested c&r, I looked at some, and fell back in love with the p-38s. so maybe that will be in my future.

fox, dam son

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Navy with conversion cylinder is better than nothing.
    A C&R P64 is WAY better than a Navy conversion and the cost of the P64 is not much more than the conversion cylinder.
    Both my cap and ball revolvers have light triggers. If you need to defend your life, SA is not the way to go IMO.
    You can rationalize your way into getting the conversion cylinder but most people here are advising against it in favor of better alternatives, so if you are here for advise, you should listen.

Will a conversion cylinder cause you more grief if you have an incident? Yes of course it will because so many in law enforcement won't understand the obscure laws dealing with making your own gun.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This whole story just doesn't add up.

"I come from a household with firearms that we have just in case, and we shoot often."
    "my family doesn't want me to have a firearm at my place."
    "I am also 21"
    "I don't want my family to discover that I have it until I graduate."
    "I am an adult now"
    "when I get the house, maybe he'll let me buy something"
    "I could not get a long rifle or a shotgun, since they were too big to put in a bag"
    "I wish I could have my AR here!"

First time poster, 21 year old adult comes from a household of firearms owners that shoot often, he has a safe and an AR, and lives is a bad neighborhood but...

Parents wont let him keep a gun but he thinks a black powder conversion would be ok?

My guess is you are either prohibited or a Frosh supporter...

I think it's great that we can finally discuss the Black Powder Revolver Conversion Cylinder Loophole.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it came up just as Annapolis starting squawking about it.

All guns on campus are bad dontcha know.

Milquetoast

Mar 7, 2016
    Libz, it really is a coincidence. I didn't know about the legislation stuff before today.

Melnic, that is something I haven't considered, how the officers who show up see the gun. My assumption is, they probably wont know the difference between a regular Single Action and a converted BP revolver. But you're right, its better than nothing.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Melnic, that is something I haven't considered, how the officers who show up see the gun. My assumption is, they probably wont know the difference between a regular Single Action and a converted BP revolver.

In the same way, responding officers won't the know the difference between antique and modern. To them, a handgun is a handgun. Officers will likely treat any handgun they find as regulated, leaving it up to your lawyer to prove otherwise, even more so if you get charged/arrested.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Perhaps your parents feel you should mature a little more or at least show more maturity before you have a gun in the home they are providing you. Going behind their back is not a mature act. After your explanation of the whole situation either man up and get their permission or man up and put yourself through school but don't lie and cheat your own parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom