• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    John, yes I know it is very dangerous, I wish I could have my AR here! but even then I wouldn't bring it. If someone breaks in while I'm not there, they could steal the gun, so it's best that the gun be expendable.

Libz, no, they don't know that I have anything. I got the BP revolver because you can order it and it'll show up at your door, no questions, nothing. But after loading the cylinders, and wondering if they'll fire when I need it, I looked into the conversion cylinders. The idea behind the gun is that my family wont know that I do the HQL thing, because I wont need to. My dad wants to do the HQL with me this summer, and then we would each buy a handgun, mine being my "first." And hopefully they never have to find out, I don't know whether or not my dad would understand that I needed something if I finally tell him when I graduate. Ill decide on that later on. Who knows, when I get the house, maybe hell let me buy something, and I can say I bought the revolver? And I just created my account on here today, and saw that! yeah I live near Annapolis, so hopefully I can do something productive.

Wow

Based on the above response, get a stun gun!

If theft is even a thought, use a less than lethal alternative.

You need to be honest with yourself, and your family if they are providing the education for you.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    smokey, No, I haven't talked to him about having a gun, but I have let on to him about the increasing frequency of the alerts that we get, so maybe he will warm up to the idea. And I already have the revolver. If I didn't, then I might think about pleading to him that I need a real handgun for protection.

I am not trolling. I came to you guys for answers, and it seems I have it. I already have the revolver, and am looking at the options I have. Now, there is the conversion cylinder, which I found was legal to use for self defense in the home, or a c&r. It may sound like I am prohibited because of my criteria, but I guess you'll have to trust me that I am not. BP is the best thing I can have right now as far as protection goes, without going through any paperwork. I just don't want to have my dad find out that I have been going around his back, so I am avoiding paperwork. Which might rule out the C&r license.

I'm still thinking that your folks have done right to you by putting you through college. It's not right to now go behind their backs. I'd start by manning-up and being honest with your dad. You make him sound like a pretty cool and reasonable guy(wanting to do father-son HQL/ first handgun stuff). Go to him, lay our your case and see what happens. Give him a chance before writing off your parents and lying to them.

It's possible your pop could agree and move up the timeline for the handgun buying, with some stipulations. They're concern over having a gun in a college house can be pretty valid. When I was in college, I was too poor to afford a proper safe. We threw parties at my place a lot and I'd occasionally have people wander into my room. Because of this, I just held off on getting a gun until I was out of that house. In the meantime, I kept other tools for self-defense and generally stayed away from dangerous people/places(not counting the rugby team).

If you're mature enough and are honest with your dad, he may even help ensure that the handgun is properly locked up by getting a good safe for you. If you lay out your case, your parents still don't think it's a good idea, and you can't wait a couple months till summer....then it's on you at that point.

If you think you're mature enough to handle the responsibility of possibly ending someone's life in a defensive shooting, you shouldn't be afraid of a simple conversation with your dad.

Aside from c&r, when you're looking for a first gun(if money's tight) make sure to check how companies support repairs and look at the used market. You could pickup a used glock that's barely functional, ship it back to the factory for repairs, and get a fully functional gun back from them. For C&R, check out makarov's. 9x18 is a pretty potent cartridge in an extremely concealable gun.

Whichever path you take, good luck and I hope everything works out for you. I just don't want you to screw up your relationship with your parents because you can't wait till summer for something you've already waited 21 years for. When you pop out of college, you're pretty vulnerable and may need some support from parents. It's probably the worst possible time to burn a bridge right now.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    If your looking for a good home defense weapon I would look into the AR-15 platform. you can pull 2 pins and pull the upper and the lower apart. To move it in and out of a house if concealment is what your looking for. One cardboard shipping tube to hold the upper and one small box to hold the lower and the stock. You can buy an HBAR at age 18 cash and carry and no one would be the wiser.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Hi Milquetoast - welcome. A couple of things to note, but first a question.
    Where are you located? Baltimore's ecology is a lot different than, say, Frostburg.

About your 1851... Unless you're planning to be a sniper and shoot an intruder at 100 yards, keep it as your defense weapon. Most home invasions take place at "bad breath" distance. Assuming you have a .44, you can drop (or seriously wound) an invader with the
    one shot you'll have time to get off. A lot of men were killed with a stock 1851 .44 using inferior powder. Think about it.

If you've loaded it properly (ring o'lead, tight cap, etc.) your chambers are individually sealed, and nearly airtight. So the propellant will last until you can go home and shoot it.

Students shouldn't need to spend for things that aren't critical to getting a degree. Save your money - you're good right now, IMO.

EDIT:

If you're worried about getting into trouble for shooting someone (here or anywhere), Google "Use of Deadly Force Maryland". You are taking on a literally awesome responsibility that could end someone's life. You have to live the rest of your life with the result if you pull the trigger. And you can't unsee that. Think about it.

Last edited:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    In the same way, responding officers won't the know the difference between antique and modern. To them, a handgun is a handgun. Officers will likely treat any handgun they find as regulated, leaving it up to your lawyer to prove otherwise, even more so if you get charged/arrested.

EXACTLY! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom