• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    Scorpion SBR owners of Maryland. I need clarification before i choose the pistol or the carbine this weekend. Today i was royally confused after almost walking out with a purchased Scorpion pistol. I thought i knew my plan. I have every intention of SBR-ing my scorpion, or so I thought i understand the process...

I thought I could buy the pistol, and then somehow find the 922r kit w/ the factory cz folding stock and wait to put it on (classifying it as a sbr at a total length of 25.98) not until i file and receive my form 1 tax stamp of course.

That is all i have to do to get it SBR compliant right? scorpion pistol + 922r stock + tax stamp = legal

Anything under 29 inches is considered an SBR in Maryland i thought. The sales guy in MD today told me even if you form 1 it with the 922 r stock and its still under 29 inches its still illegal. wtf?

I thought the whole point of SBR-ing the CZ was to get it under 29 which is the entire point of the $200 form 1 tax stamp to make it registered and legal to shoot? Please clarify if your a Maryland Scorpion owner and have done so.

I understand the alternative is the sig arm brace or kak shockwave/blade w/ buffer tube is ok as well, but i dont really want that.

I apologize as i know I have read these answers on here recently in various threads scattered details, but I was not sure and am looking to purchase the psitol and stock this weekend if i can find them. Otherwise it might be the carbine option.

Thank you well in advance as I try and understand this!

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    Thanks. Yea i am thinking about getting the factory stock and adapter put on (or the mapul zhukov), and then pinning a small break to get it to the 29. Then filing it for the form 1. That should do it.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You can buy the carbine and SBR it later. Or not, either way you will have a fine rifle.

The paperwork for a form 1 is not that difficult. The Scorpion begs to be a SBR.

Feel free to Pm me. We can go through the process.

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    I just might take u up on that. One last thing - do I form 1 it right after I get the pistol before purchasing the stock and/or pinning a break or once I have purchased and received all the goodies (unattached) to get a true measurement to file the official modified size of the soon to be sbr?

Thank you again as I love any education I can get from more experienced and knowledgable shooters!

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I just might take u up on that. One last thing - do I form 1 it right after I get the pistol before purchasing the stock and/or pinning a break or once I have purchased and received all the goodies (unattached) to get a true measurement to file the official modified size of the soon to be sbr? Thank you again as I love any education I can get from more experienced and knowledgable shooters!

Technically you should not purchase the stock until you have the form 1 stamp. Look up "constructive intent". I've always thought this was stupid because how else do you get the true measurements but many others have already done these builds so you can find the overall length for almost any build online. I shoot my Scorpion more than any other gun I own!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I just might take u up on that. One last thing - do I form 1 it right after I get the pistol before purchasing the stock and/or pinning a break or once I have purchased and received all the goodies (unattached) to get a true measurement to file the official modified size of the soon to be sbr?

Thank you again as I love any education I can get from more experienced and knowledgable shooters!

File the paperwork and pick up the parts while you wait for your stamp Just say OAL 29.1" when you file. It really does not matter anyway.

Read through the thread I cited, there is a lot of detail there

So true!!

oh yeah

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Neither the 922 kits nor the new carbines are easy to find. If you are going the 992 route, you might as well start looking now.

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    Thanks everyone. Any recommendations on where can I get 30 rnd mags for it ? Going up to Pa, NJ, and the Chantilly Va gun expo ... Hoping to scoop up some.

Digby

Feb 19, 2014
    Western Howard County
    Thanks everyone. Any recommendations on where can I get 30 rnd mags for it ? Going up to Pa, NJ, and the Chantilly Va gun expo ... Hoping to scoop up some.

You won't find any in New Jersey! If you have someone in Virginia or Pennsylvania who will accept delivery, MidwayUSA has 10s, 20s, and 30s and will ship via UPS or USPS anywhere you tell them to. They also sell them for list price and shipping is pretty reasonable since they don't weigh very much.
    Cheers

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    Titleiiarms makes a Zhukov Maryland compliant - it is a little longer and hollowed out for us Marylanders to make it 29' acceptable. It's like $240 ish but the gentleman I spoke to said its a custom peice made specifically for vary jabs compliance. I think they are a PA company so they must get a lot of inquiries. Once my stamp comes in that's what I am most likely doing.

As far as returning it back to the pistol length. Shouldn't be a problem to just remove it.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Any update on a better way to SBR a CZ Scorpion with the Zhukov to get it to =/>29"

SBR Question
    If you get an approved tax stamp and able to keep or bring it back to its approved configuration will it be possible to get a stock like this? (I'm not sure how difficult it would be to replace the stocks on the CZ scorpion)

https://www.manticorearms.com/scorpion-evo-products/scorpion-evo-slider-stock.html

Difficulty in changing out the stock depends on the mounting method of the stock. Some use set screws while others rely on the push button underneath the stock attach point.

I sent a message to Manticore Arms about OAL with their stock and they replied"
    From tip of bare muzzle to back of extended buttpad is exactly 24.0

Titleiiarms makes a Zhukov Maryland compliant - it is a little longer and hollowed out for us Marylanders to make it 29' acceptable. It's like $240 ish but the gentleman I spoke to said its a custom peice made specifically for vary jabs compliance. I think they are a PA company so they must get a lot of inquiries. Once my stamp comes in that's what I am most likely doing.

As far as returning it back to the pistol length. Shouldn't be a problem to just remove it.

I contemplated this route. Once my form 1 comes back ill be able to compare between Title II arms extra long adapter for MD residents to double stacked buttpads. Whatever is more aesthetically pleasing wins out. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom