• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I scooped this old Remington 514P (Peep sight model) last week. I did some research on the markings on the side of the barrel and from what I have gathered was made in 1929 or 1971, which I'm sure is more likely 1971 since they didn't start making these until the late 40's.

I couldn't find a solid answer anywhere online about the type of wood it's made with. It appears walnut but the interweb says it could be birch with a walnut finish. Anyone know what kind of wood this is?
    The wood and peep sight are what drew me to the rifle, and it would be perfect for my stepdaughter to start out with for her first time shooting. One shot, reload, repeat. :thumbsup:

Would you guys refinish the wood or leave it as is? You can see a bit of a haze on the side in the first pic. Would this clean up with a good cleaning and if so, what products would be best?

I paid $150.00 for this lil 22, how did I do? It was an impulse buy for sure so hopefully I didn't do too bad.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That stock is phenomenal. Leave it alone and take good care of it. Mineral oil or Ballistol might remove the haze. $150 is a "you stole it" price.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    That stock is phenomenal. Leave it alone and take good care of it. Mineral oil or Ballistol might remove the haze. $150 is a "you stole it" price.

AWESOME!! just the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Thanks for the mineral oil/ballistol tip. I can't wait to clean it up and see how it looks.

I took the bolt apart already and gave that and the barrel a good cleaning. I'm excited to see how the wood will look after cleaning it up.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I paid $150.00 for this lil 22, how did I do? It was an impulse buy for sure so hopefully I didn't do too bad.

You did well, especially with the peep sights still on the rifle (many are sold without them for the price you paid) and the tiger striped walnut stock. My son used to shoot one of these in a class for a while. Great lightweight rifle that's a good trainer.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Well done, sir. I'm eager to know how it shoots!

I got the 514P to the range for a test spin. It was about 7-8 inches off to the right. I got the elevation ok but ran out of time messing with bringing it back left a bit. It was super windy that day too. I'll hopefully get it perfect next trip out.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That's such a pretty rifle. Looks like it cleaned up fine (as there was previously a smudge on the left side of the stock). CCI Standard Velocity might be good to test. Wouldn't expect killer accuracy past 50 yards (and some of these are zeroed to a 50 ft zero if used as trainers).

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    That's such a pretty rifle. Looks like it cleaned up fine (as there was previously a smudge on the left side of the stock). CCI Standard Velocity might be good to test. Wouldn't expect killer accuracy past 50 yards (and some of these are zeroed to a 50 ft zero if used as trainers).

Yeah it sure is. I was a bit worried about that smudge. I'm glad it cleaned up so nice, it just needed a little tlc.

I was using the remainder of a federal 525 bulk pack. The guy I got the rifle from said he was having good results with CCI "quiets".
    I'll make sure to try some standard veloicity CCI next time, I have some of those already on hand.

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    I got a 541 that dated from that era and it is flat out the best shooting lightweight I ever shot, Only the 40X I shot in high school rifle team was better.

Good catch! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom