• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lion_Hunter

Nov 7, 2017
    Sadly, my father-in-law died recently and the family is trying to give me his firearm collection. I live in Louisiana. I called the MD state police and they stated that the guns have to be shipped from an FFL in MD to an FFL in LA. My understanding of Federal Law is that a private individual can use a contract carrier to ship weapons to an FFL in the destination state. Can't my family just take the packaged guns to FEDEX and ship them to my FFL in LA? Is there a MD law that says private individuals cannot ship firearms to an FFL via a contract carrier? We are just trying to save the FFL fees in MD which may get expensive as there are several firearms to transfer.

I am also assuming that the MD waiting period doesn't apply since I'm taking ownership of the weapons in LA.

Note: I don't know if this matters, but I don't know if the weapons were listed in the will or not yet, so this may be considered a gift as opposed to an inheritance.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I've personally shipped several firearms to out of state FFL's from within MD. There's no law in MD that states firearms must be shipped by a MD FFL to an out of state FFL. As long as the receiving FFL accepts shipments from a private citizen, you should be good to go. IANAL, and this is my opinion based on personal experience.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I know the legal owner of a gun who resides in Maryland can ship a gun out of state to an FFL. But in your case, the legal owner has passed on. I don't believe your family/not the legal owners can legally ship those guns.

If they can ship those guns, many out of state FFLs will not accept shipments from private individuals. They will only accept shipments from other FFLs. So that will get expensive.

Sorry for your loss and I hope you can get it figured out. Inexpensively.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Exactly I shipped a Glock I sold to a friend in Atlanta directly to an FFL in GA. Of course I ensured he would accept the shipment from a private citizen prior to shipping. As far as inheritance, Federal law allows a transfer by intestate succession or inheritance without an FFL.

The MSP made up more BS.

IANAL

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Um I disagree..

Attachments

• batf.jpg
      batf.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 568

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    When a person dies without having a valid will in place, his or her property passes by what is called "intestate succession" to heirs according to state law. In other words, if you don't have a will, the state will make one for you. All fifty states have laws (or "statutes") of this kind on the books.

You don't need a will.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    When a person dies without having a valid will in place, his or her property passes by what is called "intestate succession" to heirs according to state law. In other words, if you don't have a will, the state will make one for you. All fifty states have laws (or "statutes") of this kind on the books.

You don't need a will.

agreed. the FAQ says bequest (will) OR intestate succession. I edited my post to reflect that.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Many years ago I had to go the FFL to FFL route to get an inherited Colt 45 from Texas to Maryland when I dad passed.

The hardest part was finding an FFL in Maryland that didn't have their head up their A$$, ie my first and mostly last experience with Freds Sporting Goods In Waldorf.

Shortly after that I found MDShooters and the world was my oyster. :cool:

Sounds light a great reason for a road trip!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Exactly I shipped a Glock I sold to a friend in Atlanta directly to an FFL in GA. Of course I ensured he would accept the shipment from a private citizen prior to shipping. As far as inheritance, Federal law allows a transfer by intestate succession or inheritance without an FFL.

The MSP made up more BS.

IANAL

Maryland law matters here.

http://johnpierceesq.com/what-to-do-if-you-inherit-firearms-located-in-another-state/

If MD law says it has to go through an FFL, then it has to go through an FFL.

Lion_Hunter

Nov 7, 2017
    Thank you for all the helpful information

Looks like a road trip is going to be the cheapest way to go. Thank you all for your help on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom