• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Can someone please explain why a Resident of SC must involve the state of MD... or its laws... in the purchase of a handgun in the state of PA.?

The question of MD. laws... including magazine capacity... ONLY arrises... at the point at which the handgun is transported into the state of MD. from his home state off SC.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Can someone please explain why a Resident of SC must involve the state of MD... or its laws... in the purchase of a handgun in the state of PA.?

The question of MD. laws... including magazine capacity... ONLY arrises... at the point at which the handgun is transported into the state of MD. from his home state off SC.

If he purchases the handgun in PA and decides to use a MD FFL for the transfer, then MD laws and exemptions apply.

XRider

Aug 9, 2010
    Surfside Beach SC
    From my read of the OPs posts, it looks like he may have wanted to buy something online and have it sent to a PA ffl for pickup. I base this on the comment of, would a PA ffl accepts the mags for him. The only way I see this happening legally without losing the mags would be to send it to SC ffl and run down there to pick it up. Provided he has an SC cwp he can pick it up on the spot.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If he purchases the handgun in PA and decides to use a MD FFL for the transfer, then MD laws and exemptions apply.

WHY use a Maryland FFL?

He said he wants the standard magazines that come with the sale in PA. THAT means using an FFL in his home state of SC.

Once he owns the gun and magazines... THEN he may bring them into MD. as long as he does so within the law.

Using a MD. FFL... will not allow him to purchase the magazines and have them delivered here in Maryland.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    It's be easier to just go to South Carolina, buy what you want there and return to where ever you need to be. Yeesh!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    WHY use a Maryland FFL?

He said he wants the standard magazines that come with the sale in PA. THAT means using an FFL in his home state of SC.

Once he owns the gun and magazines... THEN he may bring them into MD. as long as he does so within the law.

Using a MD. FFL... will not allow him to purchase the magazines and have them delivered here in Maryland.

There are quite a few PA FFLs that will hand you the magazines before shipping the firearm to a MD FFL.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    There are quite a few PA FFLs that will hand you the magazines before shipping the firearm to a MD FFL.

Exactly. You are buying the magazines (and gun) in PA, and if you take possession of the magazines in PA and bring them here, you're fine.

Now, CooperDog, clarify this for us:

Is the gun physically at an FFL in PA, or were you going to order it from somewhere and have it sent to an FFL in PA? Because if you were ordering it from somewhere, just cut PA out of the question and have it sent to an FFL in SC so that you can keep the mags, like RoadDawg said. If the gun is already at an FFL in PA, go there, buy it, take the mags, and have the gun sent to an FFL either in MD or SC.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And no need to register in MD if you do the transfer in SC, because you are not establishing residency in MD.

But you cannot bring a banned handgun into MD, no matter where the transfer takes place.

As as an "assault weapon." You can purchase an MD banned long gun out of state (using SC DL), but you cannot bring it into MD.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    This is what I did on my last regulated firearm purchase:

1. Drive to PA.
    2. Purchase firearm from dealer.
    3. Take possession of mags.
    4. Have the PA dealer ship the firearm less mags to my MD FFL.
    5. Go to the MD FFL, complete the paperwork, wait 7 days for the not disapproved, go into the MD ffl and pick up my new toy.

If the PA FFL gives you any gripes, its because they aren't familiar with the MD laws. Find a new PA FFL.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Yes... many will. Some won’t. And that’s fine for folks who are legally bound by Maryland laws and restrictions.

My point is...

Since he is a SC resident...
    Maryland should be removed completely from the purchase process. The only thing to be considered about Maryland... is whether or not he can bring his handgun into Maryland after he owns it in SC. And as long as it is not banned here... I believe he can... magazines and all.

So... Why involve Maryland at all? (I hate the politics in this gulag:sad20:)

But... that is up to him.

This is what I did on my last regulated firearm purchase:

1. Drive to PA.
    2. Purchase firearm from dealer.
    3. Take possession of mags.
    4. Have the PA dealer ship the firearm less mags to my MD FFL.
    5. Go to the MD FFL, complete the paperwork, wait 7 days for the not disapproved, go into the MD ffl and pick up my new toy.

If the PA FFL gives you any gripes, its because they aren't familiar with the MD laws. Find a new PA FFL.

Being a resident of Maryland... that works for you.

But the OP is a SC resident. He doesn’t need to involve Maryland laws or restrictions at all in the purchase. He can have the handgun shipped to his SC FFL... and pick it up there.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are 3 mags worth a round trip ? If you regularly visit there, sure, special trip, probably not .

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Are 3 mags worth a round trip ? If you regularly visit there, sure, special trip, probably not .

True...

But if he does go home for thanksgiving or other things. It makes sense to keep his personal firearm purchase history OUT of the Maryland records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom