• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Okay, I know what you're thinking. Not how many shots I fired, but what does ATM mean? It means "According To Me." It's not very accurate, either, since I have a mighty high regard for the S&W 686 and Korth revolvers, though, like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, I've never actually seen one of the latter. I've seen pictures of them and think that, if they were affordable and available, I would undoubtedly own one.

But, sadly, that's not the case.

Years ago, when I worked for the NRA, one of the tech guys wrote an article about .357s. On one page, he had a photograph of all sorts of .357s. There was a Taurus, a Llama, a S&W 19, one gun that was more of a Saturday Night Special than a serious gun and up there on the top left was a stainless steel Ruger Security-Six. This fellow wrote a little about each gun, but when he got to the Security-Six, he told of his problems with shooting full throttle loads out of his Model 19. This fellow liked shooting hand-wrenching loads, and after about 2,000 rounds of them he had needed to have the gun retimed. Most people with light bullets had forcing cone issues, but this guy managed to warp the frame. After another 2,000 rounds, it was so adversely affected that he had to retire the gun to shooting .38s.

His favorite gun at the time of that writing (late 70s) was the Ruger Security-Six, 4-inch, which was then as well as now was my favorite .357. He taught me two things. First, after replacing the mainspring with something lighter, find a good, long movie and dry snap the living daylights out of it. That way, it would smooth out the action until it was like glass. And two, get some Speed-Six grips, put them on the gun, draw lines tracing them on the gun, then use a grinder to round the grips. Then put Pachmayr Compact RB grips on the gun. This, he said, was how he did it, and it was this gun he pictured in the article (which I no longer have). So here's mine.

Purdy, huh? My primary gripe with .357 revolvers nowadays is that they've got too much steel in them. They're fine for the range, but for hiking, camping and fishing, they're just too heavy. I know many people like 'em like that, but I'm convinced that if Ruger or S&W put out a .357 like this that there would be a market for them.

Of course I have also a Speed-Six with a round-butt and, though I wouldn't want them on a 6-inch gun, on 4-inchers and less the round-butt configuration is ideal.

So what do you think? Is there a market for this type of gun and, if so, why are there so many underlugs? Do YOU like underlugs?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Definitely not a safe queen and a joy to shoot with the Pachmayr grips. I alternate between this and my 1911 for carry at work. This one loves even the hottest .357 loads.

43422625_10160853845155585_27006032802742272_n.jpg

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Yeah, mine's a safe queen because I don't really have a place to shoot in this crummy state. In Utah it was never a problem. I bought a Beretta air pistol thinking I could shoot it in my back yard surrounded by fences. Nope. They'll put you in a hole and throw away the key!

Geeesh, I hate this state.

My neighbor fired her yard people (all Mexicans) because they had a Trump sticker on the bumper of their truck. She was so agitated that she told them to get their stuff and get out! She told my wife about it because she assumes everyone in this county is like her.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I don't like a full lug, never seems to balance well. I have a 5" half lug PC model that is my favorite .357 revolver, although I tend to shoot 38 wad cutters through it most of the time.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The Python is why everyone went with full underlugs. I prefer full with 4" and under barrels, it helps with recoil. I'd still take any length Python, though.

I don't know why Ruger dropped the smaller 357s. I know S&W had problems with K-frame 357s, which is why they dropped them. This did not affect Rugers, but whatever. I see S&W has brought back the 66, which is a K-frame 357. They seem to be selling well for revolvers.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Definitely not a safe queen and a joy to shoot with the Pachmayr grips. I alternate between this and my 1911 for carry at work. This one loves even the hottest .357 loads.

43422625_10160853845155585_27006032802742272_n.jpg

Looks like the 6 inch barreled one I had about 25 years ago.
    Another gun I wish I'd kept.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have a Ruger Speed Six. It’s a fine revolver and I like it a lot.

But to me, if the Good Lord made a revolver that’s sweeter to shoot than a good K frame Smith, he kept it for himself.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Can't go wrong with an older K-frame Smith. Me, I prefer the N-frame Model 28, a bit heavy to carry but fitted with Herrett Jordan Troopers, it sure is fun to shoot.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm your opposite number on this topic. I vastly prefer the heavier frame of modern .357s and a full underlug. With some new springs I find the Sp-101 and GP-100 to be just about perfect. They've fired the hottest (safe) rounds that I could find and nary a problem in either one. That extra weight plays in to soaking up recoil and getting my second shot on target faster.

Now that said, I don't carry a revolver and likely never would. A Glock 22 and spare mag have been my traveling companion for the last 18 years and I have taken them hiking plenty of times. If I could choose caliber, I'd get a Glock 20 and a spare mag and take those anywhere that I expected my problems to be more likely 4-legged than 2. My Rugers were range guns, night stand guns and I had a holster for the Sp in case I ever felt the need to carry in the house. Weight doesn't matter for any of those roles.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    This is my gp100, my first and only 357. I got it about this time last year. I am looking for my next one now, I was wanting to find a pre-lock smith, either a model 19 or 686/586. I've watched a couple of videos on what to look for when buying a used revolver. I will also add the security six to the list. Beautiful gun you got there.

Attachments

• image_6483441.jpg
      image_6483441.jpg
      53.1 KB · Views: 320

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    This is my gp100, my first and only 357. I got it about this time last year. I am looking for my next one now, I was wanting to find a pre-lock smith, either a model 19 or 686/586. I've watched a couple of videos on what to look for when buying a used revolver. I will also add the security six to the list. Beautiful gun you got there.

I have it's twin, love the grips.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I have two GP100, one 4” AS and one 3” RB FS

The 3” is probably one of the best snubbies that I have owned. Much better than the 19 or 66 with a 2 1/2” barrel. K Frames are just too light for the higher end magnum loads. I always carried them with 38 +P or +P+

The only Smith revolvers that I really love are my N-Frames, especially my 25-7, 625 3” and 625 MG

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    All that’s missing is a card table, a chair and a sign saying “Ask me about my Smith & Wesson Model 66”.

Yes, I agree with Huckberry about the concern for the lighter frame, but it is a pleasure to carry. Agree also the 3 inch barrel is excellent also.

Here’s my 3 inch hammernose 65, 2nd pic.

Attachments

• 17B0900A-D533-4439-9D13-87A492D7F4AC.jpg
      17B0900A-D533-4439-9D13-87A492D7F4AC.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 260
    • B13399C2-54CA-4A60-AD0B-57D370941529.jpg
      B13399C2-54CA-4A60-AD0B-57D370941529.jpg
      102.3 KB · Views: 266

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member