How much does your home defense AR weigh?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Mine is about 7.4-7.5 pounds unloaded and about 9.6-10 with 60 rounds on it with 2 mags. Kind of disheartening because there isnt much I can do to lighten this rifle any further without changing out the FSB to a low profile gas block, going to a polymer rear sight, and/or using lightened BCGs. Already running the DD Omega rail which I believe is the lightest you can run without switching to carbon fiber. None of which, I'm willing to do.

So how bout you guys?

Attachments

• 20181230_212611.jpg
      20181230_212611.jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 1,221

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would say about the same maybe a little lighter, my HD gun is a plain jane with magpul furniture and a Eotech. Basic but effective. Never was a big fan of rails.

I am working on a lightweight field gun on a pre FSA lower. Curious to see how light I can get it without going to exotic materials and stuff that just are not worth the trouble.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    How about dropping one of the mags? Are you expecting Spetsnaz to assault your home?

No the biggest weak point to any magazine fed weapon system is the magazine. If I run into a double feed, FTF, or something of that nature, however rare. I want to avoid putting the same mag in the gun. And in reality you're only going to fight with what's on/in the gun.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    No the biggest weak point to any magazine fed weapon system is the magazine. If I run into a double feed, FTF, or something of that nature, however rare. I want to avoid putting the same mag in the gun. And in reality you're only going to fight with what's on/in the gun.

Then you have to deal with the weight. What about 2-20 round mags?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    For HD mine is 300B/O pistol with Vortex Razor holo sight, streamlight and suppressed. It maybe about the same weight as yours with the single 40rnd mag.

I keep 3 40 round mags loaded with 220gr ELX Subs ready to go.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Mine is heavy. Suppressor, light, 2 40 Rd mags. It ain’t going far.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Mine is no pig but i would guess im just under 10lbs all up....maybe( red dot,surefire,30rd 64gr gold dot, magpul furniture, buis, sling) it adds up fast

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Mine is an AR pistol and I have no idea what it weighs off the top of my head, guessing < 5 pounds unloaded. I'll weigh it when I get home since I'm now curious. It's light enough to easily use one handed if needed but heavy enough to use as a club if I run out of ammo or have a malfunction.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Somewhere around 25-26 pounds. Not too bad unless you have to shoulder it. Thinking I may need to loose the side mount laser.

Attachments

• E415D078-6742-49F1-A9F4-EA2D5AC5CAEB.jpeg
      E415D078-6742-49F1-A9F4-EA2D5AC5CAEB.jpeg
      70.2 KB · Views: 526

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads