• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osfan93

Dec 18, 2018
    I have an 80% lower and I am going to start a build. Recently I was at a gun shop and they told me it is illegal to build from an 80% because it’s considered “manufacturing”. I’ve always been told it was legal to build for yourself but not for others and it couldn’t be sold without a serial number. I’ve seen 80% lowers at other gun shops so I think they’re just trying to get me to buy a stripped lower. Can anybody give me a little more info on the laws regarding 80% lowers and building the gun?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have an 80% lower and I am going to start a build. Recently I was at a gun shop and they told me it is illegal to build from an 80% because it’s considered “manufacturing”. I’ve always been told it was legal to build for yourself but not for others and it couldn’t be sold without a serial number. I’ve seen 80% lowers at other gun shops so I think they’re just trying to get me to buy a stripped lower. Can anybody give me a little more info on the laws regarding 80% lowers and building the gun?
    Total BS. You can manufacture a gun for personal use.

cambrann

Jul 6, 2016
    AFAIK you can build your own gun as long is it follows the law in regards to barrel length, magazine capacity, etc.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

What shop was it?

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    I'd be worried personally.

If they mess up on telling you something is illegal that is in fact legal
    they might unintentionally
    tell you something is legal that is not legal
    simply because they know no better
    or they are intentionally lying to you for some reason

whatever the reason, I'd find another place to spend my fiat currency.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree, find a new shop and out the shop that misinformed you. Chances are the shop is already on the crap list here.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    And build them now because that may change....

Treat like ammo. Build often, stack deep:lol2:

Yeah, what happens if it changes and it goes the route of the ATF and bump stocks. Going to suck to cut up all those "ghost" receivers.

I'm going to wait to see what, if anything, is propsoed by the General Assembly, and then take it from there. It might be a fun summer project. Been meaning to do one or ten for years now. Think I am more interested in 80% pistols.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'd be worried personally.

If they mess up on telling you something is illegal that is in fact legal
    they might unintentionally
    tell you something is legal that is not legal
    simply because they know no better
    or they are intentionally lying to you for some reason

whatever the reason, I'd find another place to spend my fiat currency.

This exactly. Last time I was in there, they still had bianary target material for sale - long after it was made illegal in MD.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yeah, what happens if it changes and it goes the route of the ATF and bump stocks. Going to suck to cut up all those "ghost" receivers.

I'm going to wait to see what, if anything, is propsoed by the General Assembly, and then take it from there. It might be a fun summer project. Been meaning to do one or ten for years now. Think I am more interested in 80% pistols.

I suspect this will be the response.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=231658

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I think its illegal for an FFL to build from an 80% lower without a license, because they plan to sell it.

If its worth a shot, I would give them the finger and say haha I can do it, you cant. Find a new FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom