• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Yeah, what happens if it changes and it goes the route of the ATF and bump stocks. Going to suck to cut up all those "ghost" receivers.

I'm going to wait to see what, if anything, is propsoed by the General Assembly, and then take it from there. It might be a fun summer project. Been meaning to do one or ten for years now. Think I am more interested in 80% pistols.

Here you go, best deal I've found with a frame with very good reviews. Get it before the rush.
    https://www.uspatriotarmory.com/1911-cal-45-tactical-80-builders-kit.html

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I'd be worried personally.

If they mess up on telling you something is illegal that is in fact legal
    they might unintentionally
    tell you something is legal that is not legal
    simply because they know no better
    or they are intentionally lying to you for some reason

whatever the reason, I'd find another place to spend my fiat currency.

Or just search this on MDS. This has been discussed before and if I recall, there were references to the specific laws and BATFE regulations

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Or just search this on MDS. This has been discussed before and if I recall, there were references to the specific laws and BATFE regulations

Personally, that is what I do. I don't count on someone else being responsible for me. But not everyone does that. Some count on the professional and the professional at that shop appears (I don't know them) to have issues as others have posted. I'd just do my own research (and encourage others to do the same). The information is out there. Sometimes though it does take some interpretation from others that know more or are more versed, so places like this are good to look just to get more clarity.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    I have an 80% lower and I am going to start a build. Recently I was at a gun shop and they told me it is illegal to build from an 80% because it’s considered “manufacturing”. I’ve always been told it was legal to build for yourself but not for others and it couldn’t be sold without a serial number. I’ve seen 80% lowers at other gun shops so I think they’re just trying to get me to buy a stripped lower. Can anybody give me a little more info on the laws regarding 80% lowers and building the gun?

Perhaps they were just assuming that the rights-grabbers would pass this proposed bill.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/sb/sb0008f.pdf

Oh, and if the bill passes, anyone in Maryland who possesses a home-made gun, any part of which was made on a CNC machine, becomes a criminal October 1, 2019. Bans the possession of the computer code too. I encourage everyone to rattle the ear of their elected officials.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Perhaps they were just assuming that the rights-grabbers would pass this proposed bill.

I encourage everyone to rattle the ear of their elected officials.

Some would say we need more 80% lower. More 80% owners than handcuffs. Not me though.

I think we should email and call our politicians until we get the changes we deserve. If we email and call enough, we will get exactly what we deserve.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Some would say we need more 80% lower. More 80% owners than handcuffs. Not me though.

I think we should email and call our politicians until we get the changes we deserve. If we email and call enough, we will get exactly what we deserve.
    :lol2:

Haven't spent much time in Annapolis have you? Politicians don't give a crap what the people think once they are in office.:sad20:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Oh, and if the bill passes, anyone in Maryland who possesses a home-made gun, any part of which was made on a CNC machine, becomes a criminal October 1, 2019. Bans the possession of the computer code too. I encourage everyone to rattle the ear of their elected officials.

That looks like the anti-geek bill. No 80% completion or complete manufacture with the aid of a computer. Just cannot use a computer aided device to manufacture a firearm.

Next year, they will go for the anti-man bill, where no device can be used to manufacture a firearm.

Complete BS.

I guess the upside is that there is only a single sponsor of this bill. Going to wait to see how things start to shake out on all the gun bills before I send my reps a comprehensive e-mail.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    That looks like the anti-geek bill. No 80% completion or complete manufacture with the aid of a computer. Just cannot use a computer aided device to manufacture a firearm.

Next year, they will go for the anti-man bill, where no device can be used to manufacture a firearm.

Complete BS.

I guess the upside is that there is only a single sponsor of this bill. Going to wait to see how things start to shake out on all the gun bills before I send my reps a comprehensive e-mail.

I'm not sure SB0008 is the bill that Rep. Dumais had in mind when she talked about banning "ghost guns" last summer. I'm still waiting for something to be introduced in the House that will take on homebuilts in general this session. In that case, the SB we're gnashing our teeth over here wouldn't go anywhere. Does anyone have any friends in the Office of Legislative Services that might know what's still in draft?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    How much time and effort has the MD legislature put into antigun bills while deaths from the opioid and synthetic drug epidemic have spiraled out of control in this state? I guess there's no Bloomberg lobbying effort to help them craft legislative 'solutions', nor a group of upper middle class Moms in colorful t-shirts to sit down with for photo ops.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Are you saying calling and emailing your politicians isn't enough? That's all we have.

You also have the option of visiting their offices in person. Unfortunately that might give you a warm an fuzzy feeling but doesn't do much to change their minds.

DEVE

Jan 15, 2019
    DELMARVA
    I have an 80% lower and I am going to start a build. Recently I was at a gun shop and they told me it is illegal to build from an 80% because it’s considered “manufacturing”. I’ve always been told it was legal to build for yourself but not for others and it couldn’t be sold without a serial number. I’ve seen 80% lowers at other gun shops so I think they’re just trying to get me to buy a stripped lower. Can anybody give me a little more info on the laws regarding 80% lowers and building the gun?

Whoever told you this was incorrect. You are allowed to build your own firearm as long as you are the one to build it, it is for your own personal use, and you are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    This exactly. Last time I was in there, they still had bianary target material for sale - long after it was made illegal in MD.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but this is also incorrect. It's not yet illegal. We should see before this October..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom