• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnp345

Dec 15, 2018
    Can shotguns be purchased online? Looking at the Mossberg 590M and see prices of just over $500 compared to around $720 at local shops.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Can shotguns be purchased online? Looking at the Mossberg 590M and see prices of just over $500 compared to around $720 at local shops.

Yes but they'd need to be shipped to an FFL and transferred there so you'd need to figure in shipping and the transfer fee too.

Feb 28, 2013

Just make sure yer dealer knows it’s comin. Some of em won’t do transfers just for that reason.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Look in the Industry Partners Section here first. Most, if not all, post their transfer information. Contact whatever FFL you choose to use in advance to be certain they will accept the transfer. Some do not accept transfers of items they stock.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I thought FFL only applies to hand guns?

the dems/libs/news/interwebs would have all of us believe "anyone can buy a gun over the 'net." just like a book from amazon or a pair of shoes from ebay... that is entirely untrue and just a scare tactic.

when a purchaser is not buying and taking possession of a firearm (handgun, rifle, shotgun) in person, the gun must be shipped to a ffl in the purchaser's state who will do the paperwork and background check and then hand the firearm over to the purchaser.

there are other rules for person to person and ffl to person sales in same and different states. but if you want to buy out of state and pick it up in-state, it has to be shipped to a ffl in your state.

on gunbroker.com they have a 'find a ffl' page that will list ffl's in your area and what they charge to receive a firearm for you.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    So do your homework when purchasing a gun online. Here is what I learned on my last round with GunBroker.

-Read the reviews of the seller carefully. Just because they have "stars" doesn't mean they do everything right.
    -Despite no need to do so, sellers can and will hold USPS money orders for 7 days.
    -Confirm PRIOR to purchase, their shipping methods. Some pack it in another box, some not so much.
    -Figure out if the overall transaction and time is "worth" the savings.
    -Make sure to communicate as others have said, with the FFL you are transferring "to".

So here is my story:

Wanted a Ruger PC Carbine, and the IP prices were either too high, or they were too far away. My target price was $425-$450 and yes they can be had for that and less..... Found a GB auction with a well rated seller (or so I thought) that wasn't getting any love, and put in a bid. Won the auction at $394, and felt like I won the lottery. Yeah, read on, as that didn't last. I immediately communicated to the seller, my intentions to pay with USPS money order. I don't receive a response, but that's ok, its late. The next day I get the standard "you won now tell me what FFL you want it shipped to...." I indicate the FFL and again reiterate that I am sending the MO shortly, have to go to the PO etc. No response. Get the money order, send it, and communicate to the seller that is was sent. No response. Communicate to the FFL to contact the seller. They do, but yet no communication from the seller to me more than "you won". OK. Finally do get a communication saying, "We didn't get your FFL info, oh and BTW send them your GB user name and auction number". Would have like to know this earlier. Call the FFL, they indicate they did already but will do again. Now at least a week goes by, and I send them another message. "Did you get my money order". Shortly a message from GB comes in, saying they haven't rec'd payment". I am like WTF I have been emailing the crap out of these guys and barely any responses. So I forward the GB thing to them, telling them that I will have to cancel the MO because it is likely lost, back to the post office etc. I get an email saying, "no its all OK we shipped your rifle yesterday". Well thanks I would have like to have heard that first. A day later the FFL calls me and says they have the PC Carbine. I travel across Baltimore, and do the necessary paperwork. When they show me the box I can barely believe it. Holes in it from the charging handle because it shipped in the original box. Luckily it wasn't damaged, maybe a bit of bluing scrapped off the CH. Overall here is what it cost:

Purchase - $394
    Shipping - $16
    Transfer - $25
    Gas - $6
    Time - Incalculable

$441 which is where I wanted to be. However looking back on it, I would have paid more to have less hassle.

Just to cap this off on a positive... Blue Fins is an AWESOME IP!!!!! Great experience!!!!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you specify you are using the Internet/gun show loophole they will ship it right to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom