• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J3BS

Sep 25, 2019
    I know there are restrictions on rifle barrels in Maryland. The barrel has to be a heavy barrel (which I can't find a solid definition for). I was wondering if anyone knew whether the Gunner Profile barrel from Faxon was legal in MD for an AR rifle build? They define Gunner Profile as:

Gunner Profile - hybrid of Government profile in rear and Pencil profile in front. Retains weight at the rear to maximize heat resistance and mitigate whip, and removes weight from front of barrel for maximum versatility.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    No. Not even close.

Something like the Larue Stealth barrels one could make an argument for.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Profile is irrelevant. The standard is marked, sold, or advertised as a heavy barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Profile is irrelevant. The standard is marked, sold, or advertised as a heavy barrel BY THE MANUFACTURER

As per MSP guidance which is not a legal opinion, interpretation or advice, and is also probably wrong. Remember MSP enforces tradition not law and if you call 5 different troopers you'll get 8 different answers, all non legally binding.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    MDSP is not giving out advice that the AGs office does not sign off on.

Simple fact is that "marked or advertised" as heavy barrel is the standard.

Faxon makes nice heavy fluted barrel, which are MD legal. The gunner profile barrels dont contain the magic words.

The above only applies to their 223/556/223 wylde barrels. For 308 or 300 blk, there is no need for a heavy barrel.

J3BS

Sep 25, 2019
    The one I was looking at was specifically a 300 BLK Gunner Barrel. So heavy barrel only applies to 223/556?

These rules...it's almost like they don't want me to succeed....

GSXR750

Nov 28, 2012
    it needs to be specified by the manufacturer as heavy barrel. faxon makes a great heavy barrel that is fluted so shed some weight but it's still a Heavy barrel.

Profile is irrelevant. The standard is marked, sold, or advertised as a heavy barrel

Standard? Nope... what we're looking for is legal definition not standard definition. According to everything that I've read posted here there really is no quote-unquote legal definition of a heavy barrel. It's just a term used to define any non-standard profile barrel.

it needs to be specified by the manufacturer as heavy barrel. faxon makes a great heavy barrel that is fluted so shed some weight but it's still a Heavy barrel.

Show me where in the law it says it has to be marked or manufactured or marketed as heavy barrel. The only thing the words heavy barrel mean is any barrel that is not a standard profile m4 barrel. There is no real definition written anywhere

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Standard? Nope... what we're looking for is legal definition not standard definition. According to everything that I've read posted here there really is no quote-unquote legal definition of a heavy barrel. It's just a term used to define any non-standard profile barrel.

It’s the standard according to MSP which is what would probably be used in a case against you. I’m well aware that the law doesn’t specify what an HBAR actually is, which is why people asked the MSP and they pulled that definition out of their ass.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Various definitions out of their ass , but the current one seems to be hanging around for a while .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom