• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ceeedw

Oct 3, 2019
    Sorry to be so vague here, but could someone explain the '1985 rule' to me? I'm assuming the handgun still needs to be registered with MSP even if purchased from an online retailer. Do I need to prove the manufacture date? Are there any handguns manufactured prior to 1985 that would NOT be approved? Thanks in advance.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Fantastic!! That should be the answer to everyone whose first post is a question.....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm reserving judgement about the OP , but there is general interest about the various milestone dates in Md firearms history, so I'll make a general recap .

1985 is the date for the creation of the Maryland Handgun Roster , and the Handgun Roster Board .

All Handguns Mfg after the creation of the Roster, must be on the Roster . Handguns Mfg before the creation of the Roster need not be listed .

Pre- 1985 hanguns could be Banned as Evil Assault Weapons , but otherwise legal pistols not on the Roster are good to go .

Pre 1985 pistols , not C&R Eligible , are transfered by the usual procedures, same as present day ones .

Pre 1985 , that are C&R eligible , use same procedures as C&R pistols generally .

( Added - This seems like an obscure trivia question today , but this was a big thing in late '80s . Likewise even worse issues during the window between the built in locking mechanism statute, and the MSP acceptance of tampon locks .)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    ( Added - This seems like an obscure trivia question today , but this was a big thing in late '80s . Likewise even worse issues during the window between the built in locking mechanism statute, and the MSP acceptance of tampon locks .)

Seems obscure now but was a big deal at the time. We learned at that time that we can't trust our fellow citizens to vote on our rights. I was disgusted to see a Baltimore County cop, in uniform, campaigning for this law outside my polling place. Also the NRA pulled their upcoming convention out of Baltimore over this.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I think we should start with: What is it that you are purchasing. Most likely, its not a question of whether you can buy it, but how to fill out the form (or help your FFL fill out the form) depending whether it was pre-85 or post 85. My advice is to find the FFL where you plan to transfer it first and check. Some guns are more common (Beretta 92S comes to mind) and the FFL will know how to shoehorn it into the 77r, others less so. Also, you want to know the transfer/shipping fee. Some shops have oodles of excellent excellent consignments so you may not be getting a deal when the transfer/shipping is taken into account. Most guns you find at an online retailer (say gunbroker) are going to be fine. Basic rule though: Regardless of whether its pre-or post- 85 if its on the roster you are gtg.

ceeedw

Oct 3, 2019
    Sorry gang, we deal with logistics enough in MD as is. I have no desire to deal with them unnecessarily on a god damned forum. Thank you for the relevant responses, especially Biggfoot44.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Sorry gang, we deal with logistics enough in MD as is. I have no desire to deal with them unnecessarily on a god damned forum. Thank you for the relevant responses, especially Biggfoot44.

Ewww.... :o

Good luck in your search for answers.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I'm reserving judgement about the OP.

Any judgement now, Biggfoot44? I too was reserving judgement but am ready to make it now.

OP, if you can't play nice, go find your own answers. We're not your research service.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    No luck needed.

Biggfoot44 provided the answer to the question asked. He did so politely, and he did so in his typically capable fashion. And he did so in a way that reflects favorably on MDS.
    Yeah,...well,... the OP seems a bit upset with the forum as a whole, I was just wishing luck in the apparently continued search.

ceeedw

Oct 3, 2019
    Haha, why would I be upset? Not sure how forums with you all, but in my industry, they are used to discuss topics of relevance and, you guessed it, ask questions! Is there some initiation process I need to undergo in MDS to appease the forum elitists? Anyhow, thanks again for the relevant feedback, it truly was helpful. To me, that's kind of how the 2A community should be- helpful, and not 'clicky.' Either way, it's no sweat off my butt. I'm not new to shooting at all; I am somewhat new to a lot of these very complicated, seemingly ridiculous Maryland laws, however.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    So manners and courtesy are now elitist? A simple introduction is appeasing the forum elitists?

You always walking into a room full of strangers and just start asking questions?

And if you aren't upset and your butt is not sweaty then you sure did write a long post trying to explain yourself and your rudeness.

Don't worry about your rudeness, Norton should be along shortly with his ban hammer to set you straight.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Haha, why would I be upset? Not sure how forums with you all, but in my industry, they are used to discuss topics of relevance and, you guessed it, ask questions! Is there some initiation process I need to undergo in MDS to appease the forum elitists? Anyhow, thanks again for the relevant feedback, it truly was helpful. To me, that's kind of how the 2A community should be- helpful, and not 'clicky.' Either way, it's no sweat off my butt. I'm not new to shooting at all; I am somewhat new to a lot of these very complicated, seemingly ridiculous Maryland laws, however.

Maryland Shooters is a little bit different from other forums. We seem to get more than our fair share of new members asking questions that turn out to be anti-gun moles looking for "loopholes" in the law that they can try and "fix" in Annapolis next year. That's why the suspicion when new people ask some questions straight out of the box that could be seen as the enemy trying to get information to screw up over even more.
    It's a shame really but anyhow, Welcome aboard!

ceeedw

Oct 3, 2019
    Maryland Shooters is a little bit different from other forums. We seem to get more than our fair share of new members asking questions that turn out to be anti-gun moles looking for "loopholes" in the law that they can try and "fix" in Annapolis next year. That's why the suspicion when new people ask some questions straight out of the box that could be seen as the enemy trying to get information to screw up over even more.
    It's a shame really but anyhow, Welcome aboard!

Okay, okay. That I can respect. And anti-gun I am not. Literally just want to order a surplus pistol from Classic Firearms and had a lot of trouble getting a clear protocol from MSP's website and elsewhere on the Web. I did comb through this site prior to even registering as a member. The laws here are pretty ridiculous about purchasing handguns, waiting a week, not being able to purchase a 30 rnd mag, but being allowed to own one if purchased out of state, what's considered an 'assault weapon' etc, etc... Just want to be able to enjoy my hobby and remain lawful at all times. Anyhow, I'm going to reach out to the FFL for further guidance. Again, I really do appreciate the insight on the whole 1985 thing.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Okay, okay. That I can respect. And anti-gun I am not. Literally just want to order a surplus pistol from Classic Firearms and had a lot of trouble getting a clear protocol from MSP's website and elsewhere on the Web. I did comb through this site prior to even registering as a member. The laws here are pretty ridiculous about purchasing handguns, waiting a week, not being able to purchase a 30 rnd mag, but being allowed to own one if purchased out of state, what's considered an 'assault weapon' etc, etc... Just want to be able to enjoy my hobby and remain lawful at all times. Anyhow, I'm going to reach out to the FFL for further guidance. Again, I really do appreciate the insight on the whole 1985 thing.

OP, rseymorejr said it all.

I don't know if this path for newcomers is actually published, but....

Go to Menu, then Forums, then Introductions, and then New Thread. Take a minute to introduce yourself, and tell the group something about yourself and your firearms related interests.

And Welcome!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My above post factually covered the 1985 issues.

The 1970 issues are probably more important than 1985 , but that's a different thread .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom