• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyle.

Dec 28, 2019
    I have a Colt rifle marked "Sporter Match HBAR" on the lower. Is this legal to ship in with a telescoping stock, 14.5" permanently attached FH barrel, pistol grip, bayonet lug, and detachable magazine?

The barrel profile is a government carbine length, and not "HBAR" by traditional definition. This rifle dates to 1992ish, from what I've seen.

TIA

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    1. When did you buy it.

2. Depending on #1 you may be able to bring it, but even so you will need to remove some evil features: re-reading your list of evil features you are good to go on the evilness test.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx
    4) If this is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine, does it have any two of the following: a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor; If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

3. Worst case you can put a new upper (or just HBAR barrel) on it and bring it. You have an HBAR marked lower and non-HBAR upper so it seems like you need to somewhat undo someone's handy work

kyle.

Dec 28, 2019
    I'm not in the state of MD, I'm currently in Texas. I'm originally from California and I'm familiar with how AWBs work, but what's the general consensus on lowers for MD?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I'm not in the state of MD, I'm currently in Texas. I'm originally from California and I'm familiar with how AWBs work, but what's the general consensus on lowers for MD?
    Lowers are not what's (potentially) banned in MD, it's the upper.

Forget everything you know about AWB when it comes to MD, logic or precedent need not apply. We have our own silly rules.

What matters in your case, first, is when you bought it.

Eta: also forget what you know about "traditional" HBAR profile barrels in MD. We have our own peculiar rule for that too!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, it is not the upper, it is the RIFLE.

If you owned it prior to 10/1/2013 you may bring it into the state. If you purchased it on or after that date, it may NOT be legally brought into the state.

You have 90 days from establishing residency to register it. If you are active duty military or full time student, you do not need to establish MD residency.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    From his description , the OP's Rifle is NOT in original configuration .

Were it in the Original configuration , it would be definitely Md Legal . As described , it would be considered Banned on its face . This leads us to the next round of inquiry :

WHEN did YOU aquire the rifle, in its current configuration ?

If the answer is prior to Oct 1 , 2013 , you would be Grandfathered . Upon moving to Maryland , it would need to be registered with MSP in same manner and method as your handguns .

If you aquired it after Oct 2013 , or changed it from HBAR to current after Oct 2013 , it is Banned .

If prior to moving here , you changed the bbl , or aquired an additional Upper in HBAR configuration , it would be Legal , no Registration required .

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'd put it back to HBAR, bring it here, and you don't have to register it since MD HBAR rifles are not regulated. Plus as a bonus yours actually says Colt Sporter HBAR on it, which is what is written in to the law.

If you really want it as it is now, as has been said if you owned it before Oct 2013 you can bring it but you have to register it. If you got it after that date, you can't bring it.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Welcome to MDS. Please introduce yourself and tell us a little about your interests.

Are you planning on selling your AR to a Marylinistan resident?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Upon moving to Maryland , it would need to be registered with MSP in same manner and method as your handguns .

Maybe.

OP did not state why he was moving to MD. If AD military, there would be no need to establish residency, therefore no need to register.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Generic default anonymous inquiry gets generic default legal answer .

Potential Extraordinary Circumstances requires an Introduction , and explaination of any such hypothetical circumstances .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom