• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    26xx4720 is the serial number. Just had it out banging steel at 150 yds. It has a q stamped in after the serial number if that helps.

Sounds like a heluva shooter

What size plates?

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    26xx4720 is the serial number. Just had it out banging steel at 150 yds. It has a q stamped in after the serial number if that helps.

Based on the info over at SKS files, yours was produced between 1981-82 based on the SN.

Harder to pin down due to it being from Factory 636.

No clue what the "q" means....

Enjoy it, I have 4 at this point... A second year (1957) Chinese (blade bayonet), a late 60's Chinese (rough but complete), a Yugoslavian M56 (early model, no grenade launcher) and a 1974 Albanian model I am in the middle of cleaning up/repairing.

All are excellent shooters, far more accurate than they have been rumored to be, and all are absolutely reliable.

JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    Thanks for the info. Anyone know where I can get a front sight assembly to replace the One I have that the bayonet lug accidentally got broken off. Wink wink

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Thanks for the info. Anyone know where I can get a front sight assembly to replace the One I have that the bayonet lug accidentally got broken off. Wink wink

everyplace I could find they are out of stock....

do a search every couple of weeks and one will turn up eventually...

shockingly you can find decent stuff on ebay if you have some patience

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its a ChiCom SKS it will shoot. I had one like that sans bayo lug, ended up liquidating it but still have a spiker with a bayo lug tucked away somewhere. Chinese never had much love of fit and finish but they work great and hit the target, some of their earlier stuff was every bit as good as Russian (e.g. polytech with milled trigger groups).

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Its a ChiCom SKS it will shoot. I had one like that sans bayo lug, ended up liquidating it but still have a spiker with a bayo lug tucked away somewhere. Chinese never had much love of fit and finish but they work great and hit the target, some of their earlier stuff was every bit as good as Russian (e.g. polytech with milled trigger groups).

I am fortunate to have one that has the Chinese National Security Forces markings. It it one of the finest SKS rifles made. Of course, the Russians supplied the machinery in the plant and trained the Chinese to build them right. The finish on the stock wasn't the most durable, but the blueing and fit is excellent.

It is accurate, reliable, and just plain fun to shoot!

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

Agreed, it's a great design. Always wondered what would have happened if it had been factory made for a detachable mag from the start. As I understand it, it was Stalin himself who ordered the fixed mag, as he felt too many soldiers would lose the detachables. Gun forum info, who knows if it's accurate. But the only thing I don't like about the design is the firing pin being totally enclosed in that bolt block. Still such a good rifle and so much fun to shoot.

Feb 28, 2013
    I am fortunate to have one that has the Chinese National Security Forces markings. It it one of the finest SKS rifles made. Of course, the Russians supplied the machinery in the plant and trained the Chinese to build them right. The finish on the stock wasn't the most durable, but the blueing and fit is excellent.

It is accurate, reliable, and just plain fun to shoot!

They didnt steal one and reverse engineer it like they did everything else they got?

easy

Nov 25, 2011
    SEOK
    Chicoms and Soviets used to be good friends. Soviets gave Chicoms parts and tooling around 54-56(Type 56, hmm). Lesson complete. Now they are not so friendly.

Sirex