• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carlos Marin

Jun 3, 2020
    Baltimore City
    Hello everyone! Hope someone here can help me out: I've been wanting to buy an AR for quite a while. I'm still learning about the laws in Md. I live in Baltimore City and everywhere I look is gets more and more confusing. Recently started looking for info. on what are the requirements for an AR rifle. I was checking the Black Anchor website and learned that they have an "Md Compliant" section which I thought would help me to understand better but found myself in square one efter a friend (who bought a shotgun at some ***** gun shop) told me that the shop in ((here in Baltimore) told him he need a license for a long gun (AR-15). Then somebody else told me all I need is the 30 mins. background check. I don't want to throw the shop nor my friend under the bus so, can someone help this future AR buyer before going out and look like a stupid? Any info. will be appreciated.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    You’ve come to the the right place as many experts on MD law are members here; I am NOT one but, will attempt to lay out some basic info for you while we are waiting for the experts to wake up.

Semi-auto Rifles of the AR-15 variant are “regulated” firearms in MD; handguns also are regulated. The HQL or Handgun Qualification License may be what your friend was referring to the gun shop advising them on .... Here: http://www.blackanchorarmory.com/maryland-hql-infromation.html

HQL requires completing a training mandate, submitting an application, paying a fee and waiting for approval of your application and eventual receipt of HQL. Only then are you ready to “go shopping.”

So, know that when you are researching what the laws and reqts are, you want to focus on what MD deems “regulated” firearms.

Additionally, MD has established certain criteria which ar-variant rifles - in .223/5.56 caliber - must have (I.e., be marked “H-Bar” or Heavy Barrel) and certain features (external parts) that are prohibited. That’s where the “MD Compliant” comes in and gun shops that categorize “MD Compliant” for the convenience of their customers are doing their customers a real service, IMO.

Finally, there are detachable magazine capacity restrictions but, for now, I ...

SUGGEST YOU REQUEST THE MEMBERS DIRECT YOU TO A KNOWN, TRUSTWORTHY LGS (local gun shop) in your area and if they don’t have what will suit your needs perhaps they can order for you and transfer it according to MD and federal law.

You can spend several days getting accurate information here or, you can walk into a well reputed gun shop (recommended by members here) and get all the info you need in less than 1/2 hour, straight from the federally licensed shop owner’s mouth. Then you can proceed from there. (Judging only from their website it appears Black Anchor Armory fits the bill; however; I am aware of the distance between Balt City and Denton MD. Shame, that.)

Assuming your budget is (at least $6-700) more realistically $800 - $1,200, am I correct?

Sadly, criminals laugh at ALL OF MDs asinine firearms laws but, sadder than that, MD elected officials laugh at honest law abiding citizens and ignore every evidence that their decades of restricting the rights of MDs law abiding citizens is having not only nil effect on criminals but actually INCREASING crime in MD.

So, join MSI (MD Shall Issue works for the law abiding citizens in MD and a primary reason my family and I took our tax dollars out of MD is because for the last couple decades or more we have witnessed the MD legislators basically work on behalf of the criminal element in MD). Oh yeah; and, Vote The Bastids Out of Office!

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    To buy a MAryland compliant AR (read HBAR) from a local gunshop/FFL is no different than buying any other long gun. No "license" is necessary. There is the form 4473 to be filled out and the NICS check but that's the same for any long gun buyer (and handguns as well).

EDIT: You'll find a lot of threads asking this same question (or similar) in the Maryland 2A section.

For your first purchase, go to a Local Gun Shop (LGS). They will know all the intricacies of Maryland's laws and assure you are doing things legally.
    You do not need a permit to buy a MD compliant AR15. You need to be a legal resident (citizen or green card), of legal age and not have any disqualifying convictions or pending charges- felonies, crimes of violence, domestic abuse, etc. A medical marijuana card is also a disqualifier.
    Plan on spending a minimum of $700 and understand there are currently a LOT of first time gun buyers out there due to our current situation. The available selection is very low compared to 6 months ago.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    For your first purchase, go to a Local Gun Shop (LGS). They will know all the intricacies of Maryland's laws and assure you are doing things legally.
    You do not need a permit to buy a MD compliant AR15. You need to be a legal resident (citizen or green card), of legal age and not have any disqualifying convictions or pending charges- felonies, crimes of violence, domestic abuse, etc. A medical marijuana card is also a disqualifier.
    Plan on spending a minimum of $700 and understand there are currently a LOT of first time gun buyers out there due to our current situation. The available selection is very low compared to 6 months ago.

Not all LGS are created equal. There are a few to avoid for spefically not knowing MD law. One of our favorites is charging a "$10 MSP transfer fee" for in store long guns now.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Don't forget to buy ammo, soon enough you might have to spend more on ammo than the gun!

Carlos Marin

Jun 3, 2020
    Baltimore City
    Thank you all for your responses. I don't want to pay for this covid 19 prices but for starts will like something out of the box. I was thinking on an AR 9 (ammo maybe more accessible?) But still trying to figure it out. If anyone knows a nice LGS (not for price but treatment) that can suggest will be appreciated.

Thank you all for your responses. I don't want to pay for this covid 19 prices but for starts will like something out of the box. I was thinking on an AR 9 (ammo maybe more accessible?) But still trying to figure it out. If anyone knows a nice LGS (not for price but treatment) that can suggest will be appreciated.

I figure that out. Some of the stores around (the ones I've been able to check online inventory has everything out of stock.

What part of town are you in? That will help us steer you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom