• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thank you all for your responses. I don't want to pay for this covid 19 prices but for starts will like something out of the box. I was thinking on an AR 9 (ammo maybe more accessible?) But still trying to figure it out. If anyone knows a nice LGS (not for price but treatment) that can suggest will be appreciated.

I don't know Baltimore; but I like Engage in Gaithersburg, and United Gun Shop in Rockville. Honestly - if it weren't for Ammo Jon, I probably would not buy anything in Baltimore :). But I am sure someone can give recommendations closer to home.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I live in Baltimore. Few weeks ago made the trip to Rockville to check out united. They're awesome. Will definetly buy from em again.

Tyler's in the Arbutus area near Baltimore is a great shop also, and more local to you. Scott's gunsmithing in glen burnie is very good as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have had good experiences with 2A and Tyler.

Also Engage and Duffy's.

I have done a lot of business with The Bank in Havre de Grace.

I will not deal with United. They had a consignment pistol posted here. I emailed that I would take it, but that I was out of the country and it would be a little over a week before I could get in. I was told, I must pay for it now or is was subject to sale until I showed up. Hmmm, I thought the held things for MDS members once they were spoken for. Otherwise, when I was not the first person to say I wanted it, I would have just gone to the shop and bought it out from the other person.

Oh yeah, I want to email my credit card info from a 3rd world country. Yeah, really safe.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Don’t forget The Gun Shop in Essex. Interesting clientele.

Attachments

• 405BCC35-0DDF-466F-93E7-B0916640BBD5.jpeg
      405BCC35-0DDF-466F-93E7-B0916640BBD5.jpeg
      119 KB · Views: 452

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I will not deal with United. They had a consignment pistol posted here. I emailed that I would take it, but that I was out of the country and it would be a little over a week before I could get in. I was told, I must pay for it now or is was subject to sale until I showed up. Hmmm, I thought the held things for MDS members once they were spoken for. Otherwise, when I was not the first person to say I wanted it, I would have just gone to the shop and bought it out from the other person.

Oh yeah, I want to email my credit card info from a 3rd world country. Yeah, really safe.

I think they will hold things for a day or 2 but it's not realistic for them to tell someone a gun is sold and then have to wait a week or so to see if it really was. It was a consignment gun so it belonged to someone else. They owe it to that prson to nail down a sale. It's not their fault you were out of the country.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think they will hold things for a day or 2 but it's not realistic for them to tell someone a gun is sold and then have to wait a week or so to see if it really was. It was a consignment gun so it belonged to someone else. They owe it to that prson to nail down a sale. It's not their fault you were out of the country.

That is not how it was presented to me.

It was presented as, even though you are the first to ask, they can sell it any time before you actually get there.

Other gun shops will hold things. And even make exceptions to the duration for a valid reason.

My money, my choice. NO to United for me. Plenty of other shops to buy from.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Don’t forget The Gun Shop in Essex. Interesting clientele.

I have not dealt with them, but ex bought a Kahr .40 from them. And was happy the transaction. She actually purchased at a Howard Co show.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You’ve come to the the right place as many experts on MD law are members here; I am NOT one but, will attempt to lay out some basic info for you while we are waiting for the experts to wake up.

Semi-auto Rifles of the AR-15 variant are “regulated” firearms in MD; handguns also are regulated. The HQL or Handgun Qualification License may be what your friend was referring to the gun shop advising them on .... Here: http://www.blackanchorarmory.com/maryland-hql-infromation.html

HQL requires completing a training mandate, submitting an application, paying a fee and waiting for approval of your application and eventual receipt of HQL. Only then are you ready to “go shopping.”

So, know that when you are researching what the laws and reqts are, you want to focus on what MD deems “regulated” firearms.

Additionally, MD has established certain criteria which ar-variant rifles - in .223/5.56 caliber - must have (I.e., be marked “H-Bar” or Heavy Barrel) and certain features (external parts) that are prohibited. That’s where the “MD Compliant” comes in and gun shops that categorize “MD Compliant” for the convenience of their customers are doing their customers a real service, IMO.

Finally, there are detachable magazine capacity restrictions but, for now, I ...

SUGGEST YOU REQUEST THE MEMBERS DIRECT YOU TO A KNOWN, TRUSTWORTHY LGS (local gun shop) in your area and if they don’t have what will suit your needs perhaps they can order for you and transfer it according to MD and federal law.

You can spend several days getting accurate information here or, you can walk into a well reputed gun shop (recommended by members here) and get all the info you need in less than 1/2 hour, straight from the federally licensed shop owner’s mouth. Then you can proceed from there. (Judging only from their website it appears Black Anchor Armory fits the bill; however; I am aware of the distance between Balt City and Denton MD. Shame, that.)

Assuming your budget is (at least $6-700) more realistically $800 - $1,200, am I correct?

Sadly, criminals laugh at ALL OF MDs asinine firearms laws but, sadder than that, MD elected officials laugh at honest law abiding citizens and ignore every evidence that their decades of restricting the rights of MDs law abiding citizens is having not only nil effect on criminals but actually INCREASING crime in MD.

So, join MSI (MD Shall Issue works for the law abiding citizens in MD and a primary reason my family and I took our tax dollars out of MD is because for the last couple decades or more we have witnessed the MD legislators basically work on behalf of the criminal element in MD). Oh yeah; and, Vote The Bastids Out of Office!

AR15’s for sale in MD need to to be marked OR advertised as HBAR. They are NOT regulated rifles. There are no regulated rifles for sale in MD anymore. (Since Oct 2013)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Thank you all for your responses. I don't want to pay for this covid 19 prices but for starts will like something out of the box. I was thinking on an AR 9 (ammo maybe more accessible?) But still trying to figure it out. If anyone knows a nice LGS (not for price but treatment) that can suggest will be appreciated.

Nothing wrong with an AR9, but I would consider other platforms if 9mm is what you want. 5.56/.223 is plenty available, and the relatively inexpensive xm193 55gr fmj will still suit you reasonably well in a self defense situation. You'll spend more on good hollow point 9mm than you will decent military surplus 5.56.

If you are in Baltimore City and can take a little drive, go Duffy's Gun Room up in Baltimore County. Great shop and if they don't have it, they can order it. And they will be happy to guide you to a purchase that is right for you.

Another shop that carries a decent selection of MD Compliant AR's is Free State just up 95 north in Bel Air.

Hanover Armory near BWI manufactures their own, at a decent price too.

I'd consider calling ahead, though, given the high demand many shops are still seeing. No need to drive up to a place only to find out they have nothing that you want.

I second everyone saying to support a local gun shop.

FN, Daniel Defense, Ruger, Delton, and Windham Weaponry all make pretty readily available MD legal AR-15's. There are a host of others, but those are what come to mind of what I see on shelves. You will pay a premium for FN and DD as they are at the premium end of spectrum, with the FN being a hair cheaper (but still very good).

I love Ruger in general, but I am not a fan of the Ruger 556. Sure, it's inexpensive, but it's really sub par in most every way in my opinion. Save your coin and get something a little nicer.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    And to be clear and as others have said, you do not need a license, hql, or anything of the sort to purchase a Maryland compliant AR15. It is an unregulated firearm and therefore subject to an instant NICS check and then you are out the door with your new firearm.

Long guns, in general, are treated this way.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    SUGGEST YOU REQUEST THE MEMBERS DIRECT YOU TO A KNOWN, TRUSTWORTHY LGS (local gun shop) in your area and if they don’t have what will suit your needs perhaps they can order for you and transfer it according to MD and federal law.
    He's gonna have to go to a LGS anyway, isn't he? If he buys in-stock inventory, he's obviously already at one. And if he orders from elsewhere he's gonna have to get it transferred at one.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Nothing wrong with an AR9, but I would consider other platforms if 9mm is what you want. 5.56/.223 is plenty available, and the relatively inexpensive xm193 55gr fmj will still suit you reasonably well in a self defense situation. You'll spend more on good hollow point 9mm than you will decent military surplus 5.56.

If you are in Baltimore City and can take a little drive, go Duffy's Gun Room up in Baltimore County. Great shop and if they don't have it, they can order it. And they will be happy to guide you to a purchase that is right for you.

Another shop that carries a decent selection of MD Compliant AR's is Free State just up 95 north in Bel Air.

Hanover Armory near BWI manufactures their own, at a decent price too.

I'd consider calling ahead, though, given the high demand many shops are still seeing. No need to drive up to a place only to find out they have nothing that you want.

I second everyone saying to support a local gun shop.

FN, Daniel Defense, Ruger, Delton, and Windham Weaponry all make pretty readily available MD legal AR-15's. There are a host of others, but those are what come to mind of what I see on shelves. You will pay a premium for FN and DD as they are at the premium end of spectrum, with the FN being a hair cheaper (but still very good).

I love Ruger in general, but I am not a fan of the Ruger 556. Sure, it's inexpensive, but it's really sub par in most every way in my opinion. Save your coin and get something a little nicer.

I believe Freestate is in Middle River off of White Marsh Blvd. Are there 2 Free States?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I believe Freestate is in Middle River off of White Marsh Blvd. Are there 2 Free States?

You are correct, it is in White March/Middle River.

I will no longer buy from them. I ordered a CZ455 from Bud's. NO one had them in stock.

They quoted $50 transfer fee. When it came in, and I went to pic it up, they told me it was $65. I said I was quoted $50. They said, they changed the price.

I finally got them to honor the $50 they quoted, but there are plenty of good dealers that don't pull crap like that.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    You are correct, it is in White March/Middle River.

I will no longer buy from them. I ordered a CZ455 from Bud's. NO one had them in stock.

They quoted $50 transfer fee. When it came in, and I went to pic it up, they told me it was $65. I said I was quoted $50. They said, they changed the price.

I finally got them to honor the $50 they quoted, but there are plenty of good dealers that don't pull crap like that.

This seems to be par for the course at Freestate. i've heard story after story of them pulling stunts like that.

Not to mention, a lot of the stuff they sell is highway robbery (Pre covid mark up, Lord knows what they're trying to get away with now...) as far as i'm concerned, price wise.

They and another shop that's been mentioned in this thread, love to charge folks full msrp if not more, in many cases.

Choppin

Coming in hot
    Jun 22, 2020
    Fern-Dizzle
    Because panic buyers are willing to pay it. It's similar to car dealers who charge above the MSRP..."additional dealer profit"...for new and desirable models to those who just have to have the first one.

Calling folks "panic buyers" is like making fun of a fat kid on the treadmill, no one saw the covid explosion and the recent Communist eruptions :rolleyes:
    I dont disagree with you in the sense that its a supply and demand market but the more that enter the market the merrier IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom