• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZainNazir

Jul 9, 2020
    Hey, I'm brand new to the gun community and I'm looking for the right holster for me. I do not need a concealed one currently because I do not have the license. I have a business where I handle large amounts of cash, as well as fill an Atm with cash. I am looking for a holster that is OWB but something that doesn't require a belt. I often wear sweatpants to work so I am looking for something I can fit on that as well. Thank you

P.S. The gun I just bought is a Glock 19 Gen 5.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think you are going to find that sweat pants will not support waist carry.

LOTS of choices for holsters. I have a couple of Alien Gear that I like, but I have limited experience with IWB/OWB holsters. Most of my use has been more like a duty holster or a competition holster.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If life is dicey enough that being armed seems like a good idea - and you're going to carry a full-sized pistol like that Glock - get used to wearing pants with a real, solid gun belt. A paddle-style holster is fine (you can slide it on and off without having to thread he belt through it), but it needs something substantial to keep it safely in place. Anything less substantial is just asking for trouble, including a dropped gun.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I think you are going to find that sweat pants will not support waist carry.

+1

You are going to be tugging and adjusting and pulling your pants up constantly. You want it to stay in place when you shift and move around, no way that will happen with any waist holster when you're not wearing a belt.

If you are determined to wear sweats, you might want to try a belly band. I bought one, tried it, didn't like it, but you may feel differently.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thoughts:
    1. If you are going to carry, you need to orient the way you dress around it, not vice versa. Not doing it this way leads to holster failures and other problems. This will probably mean you need to wear pants with a good belt.
    2. If you are handling large amounts of cash in your business, you are one of the chosen few who has a pretty decent shot at getting a concealed carry license, and then getting the restrictions removed. Consider getting your license.
    3. I would STRONGLY recommend a quality retention holster if you are going to carry OWB, such as the Safariland ALS. Grab/twist attacks are a real thing.
    4. I would recommend taking a quality defensive pistol class from a place like Green Ops, Justified Defensive Concepts, or FPF Training so you can deploy and use your weapon effectively if you need to.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm curious as to how you are going to legally carry outside of your business without a permit even if this is open carry. Unless the ATM is in your business as well.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If you are in public, you require a MD CCW. Open or concealed does not matter as in MD their is no open carry of firearms permitted unless you are law enforcement or a qualified security guard with a MD CCW and only while on business property.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If you dont want to wear a belt, then you will have to use a belly band holster.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    My first question was "Does the OP live in Maryland and think he's going to open carry a handgun without a Wear & Carry Permit?"

Welcome to the forum and all, but you'd better read up on the laws. Because what you proposed is quite illegal and a very likely route to either getting shot by a cop on a MWAG call or thrown in the pokey for a while and losing your 2A rights, possibly permanently.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Good old fanny pack, map case or Maxpedition bag. Though all 3 usually scream “I got a gun in my bag” when combined with a duty haircut and Rayban Aviator shades.

You could consider an ankle holster

And last but not least, Thunderwear!!!! No, seriously, people do use it for CCW but I never tried it.

https://www.thunderwear.com/

ZainNazir

Jul 9, 2020
    My ATM is inside the business. I plan on getting my concealed license ASAP. For now i’m keeping the gun on my person at the business and as I take my cash to my car. From there i would properly empty the gun and store it in a safe away from me.

ZainNazir

Jul 9, 2020
    I will further brush up on my Maryland Gun Laws and talk to my friends in law enforcement. I thought i could open carry at my business because that falls
    under my domicile. I wanted to wear it late at night OWB to signal off any potential criminals and keep it under my table during the day away from plain sight. I also wanted to be able to wear it OWB while carrying cash to my car which is located on the business property again for the same reason of signaling off any potential thieves.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    I will further brush up on my Maryland Gun Laws and talk to my friends in law enforcement. I thought i could open carry at my business because that falls
    under my domicile. I wanted to wear it late at night OWB to signal off any potential criminals and keep it under my table during the day away from plain sight. I also wanted to be able to wear it OWB while carrying cash to my car which is located on the business property again for the same reason of signaling off any potential thieves.

I applaud your initiative in defending yourself and your business. It sounds like you are a new gun owner, do not forget to get some training with a qualified instructor. Do this ASAP while you are in the process of applying. Attend as much training as you can afford and have the time to commit to. Learn as much about the weapon you choose as possible - properly drawing from a holster requires practice.. Practicing your skills is the best part owning firearms..

ZainNazir

Jul 9, 2020
    I applaud your initiative in defending yourself and your business. It sounds like you are a new gun owner, do not forget to get some training with a qualified instructor. Do this ASAP while you are in the process of applying. Attend as much training as you can afford and have the time to commit to. Learn as much about the weapon you choose as possible - properly drawing from a holster requires practice.. Practicing your skills is the best part owning firearms..

Thank you for your advice. Yes I will be taking training courses as much as I can. In the mean time until I can get out and shoot I am trying to educate myself as much as I can on guns. I’m watching hours of educational youtube videos on my specific firearm, firearm
    safety, and fireman shooting. We really need more responsible gun owners out in the world protecting us. I hope to one day hopefully will be capable to be one of those people.

ZainNazir

Jul 9, 2020
    Update

I have read up on the Maryland gun laws and consulted with law enforcement and I will be able to openly carry on the premises of my business.

This section does not prohibit:*...... (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;*
    (6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    My ATM is inside the business. I plan on getting my concealed license ASAP. For now i’m keeping the gun on my person at the business and as I take my cash to my car. From there i would properly empty the gun and store it in a safe away from me.

So you’ll remain armed until you take the cash to the car and then disarm yourself? Probably best bet for now is to keep the money in a safe inside the business or work with a company to transport the money to the bank for you.

ZainNazir

Jul 9, 2020
    So you’ll remain armed until you take the cash to the car and then disarm yourself? Probably best bet for now is to keep the money in a safe inside the business or work with a company to transport the money to the bank for you.

Ideally that would be amazing, but in the gas station business, which I'm in, the profits are very low but the cash count is very high. Being able to get a company to pick and drop my cash would be unaffordable. Until I get my concealed carry permit this in my estimation is my only process of staying safe.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Ideally that would be amazing, but in the gas station business, which I'm in, the profits are very low but the cash count is very high. Being able to get a company to pick and drop my cash would be unaffordable. Until I get my concealed carry permit this in my estimation is my only process of staying safe.

I’d recommend you not do this at night then. Do it at lunch time to lessen your risk.
    https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2000/06/12/smallb2.html

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I am not a lawyer. Yes your brick and morter business is considered an extension of your home and you can carry on your property as well, ie walkingto your car in your parking lot. If you are not the business owner you need to have a dated letter giving you permission to carry on the property. Open carrying in your establishment will only make you a target for immediate death. You will deter those that expect unarmed and immediate complacency to hand over the money. Anyone who has a firearm and a resolve to use it will gun you down the second they enter. Conceal in the establishment and only draw if you intend to use it. Magnetic under counter holster could be useful. Bullet resistant glass is recommended for your type of business, it is good to know that the counter below the glass is not bullet proof and can be shot through. As is remote locks on the door to control entrance during certain hours. They do sell film for smash resistance, i would install that on your doors and front windows.

ZainNazir

Jul 9, 2020
    I am not a lawyer. Yes your brick and morter business is considered an extension of your home and you can carry on your property as well, ie walkingto your car in your parking lot. If you are not the business owner you need to have a dated letter giving you permission to carry on the property. Open carrying in your establishment will only make you a target for immediate death. You will deter those that expect unarmed and immediate complacency to hand over the money. Anyone who has a firearm and a resolve to use it will gun you down the second they enter. Conceal in the establishment and only draw if you intend to use it. Magnetic under counter holster could be useful. Bullet resistant glass is recommended for your type of business, it is good to know that the counter below the glass is not bullet proof and can be shot through. As is remote locks on the door to control entrance during certain hours. They do sell film for smash resistance, i would install that on your doors and front windows.

You make a very good point about becoming a target with open carry at my business. This is one of my main concerns as I construct my plan. The unfortunate thing about bullet proof glass is that it greatly reduces business because customers start feeling unsafe at a local establishment such as mine and will go to big corporations such as WaWa or Royal Farms. I've had it personally happen at the location that I am at. Once the glass went up we saw a huge reduction in sales. Along the lines of that thinking you could say that open carry might have the same effect. I don't know to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom