• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Blackwater.
    Coworker went kayak fishing with his mother a couple weeks ago. Pulled in anywhere from 3-5 pounders to 10+ pounders. I believe 15 snakeheads in all. On bull minnows.

What's the story with parking now at Blackwater? I heard you can't park along the side of the road?

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    The last I heard,your tires cant be touching the blacktop at all.Be careful of pulling over too far though.The mud isnt far from the edge of the road.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

Attachments

• PXL_20201007_201035625.jpg
      PXL_20201007_201035625.jpg
      139.8 KB · Views: 557

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    A coworker of mine and his buddies have been bowfishing the rappahanock. Been bringing in 40-50+ snakeheads a night. They go out early morning. 4-5am.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    My nephew is coming into town in a few weeks and I would like to take him bowfishing. Anyone have a nice charter recommendation or advice? I'm in central AACO.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    My nephew is coming into town in a few weeks and I would like to take him bowfishing. Anyone have a nice charter recommendation or advice? I'm in central AACO.
    Travis Stauch / Ramrod bowfishing is kinda the go to on the potomac lately. Southerm Md bowfishing is another one. But good chance they are already booked up. Grass is coming in now so its getting harder to find the snakes. but the catfish are starting to show up more. Plenty of gar, carp and goldfish tho

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    I was told the snakehead was great eating but a little on the bland side. I'm not a big fan of deep frying anything so what's the best way to prepare snakehead? Do they grill well? I ever heard they hold up to smoking?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I was told the snakehead was great eating but a little on the bland side. I'm not a big fan of deep frying anything so what's the best way to prepare snakehead? Do they grill well? I ever heard they hold up to smoking?
    Yes and yes.. they are a fairly durable fish, dense white meat and they do lack the 'fishy' taste of some fish, so they need a little spice or seasoning imo to make em pop. I have not smoked any yet, but they grill fine (I usually do fish in foil on the grill).

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Yes and yes.. they are a fairly durable fish, dense white meat and they do lack the 'fishy' taste of some fish, so they need a little spice or seasoning imo to make em pop. I have not smoked any yet, but they grill fine (I usually do fish in foil on the grill).

Smoked snakehead with capers, onions, cream cheese on a bagel. It’s really good. The meat is perfect and flaky.

Attachments

• 817521F7-F5CC-4088-BF36-AAB3FA91DD92.jpeg
      817521F7-F5CC-4088-BF36-AAB3FA91DD92.jpeg
      67.9 KB · Views: 211

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Fixed some snakehead on the grill this past Saturday.
    Wrapped in aluminum foil with 1/2 a stick of butter on each fillet. The one in the bottom was seasoned with lemon pepper, the other with a Cajun garlic seasoning.
    I’ve ate it before, but this was the 1st time I ever cooked it.
    Yes, it’s pretty bland, it taste like whatever you season it with. I’ve heard a lot of people are cutting it into nuggets, breading them, and deep frying them. Next time, I’m going to give that a try.

Attachments

• 0AC1BEC2-2DFA-4ABF-BE59-FC97F84209F8.jpg
      0AC1BEC2-2DFA-4ABF-BE59-FC97F84209F8.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 137

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I do snake bites often with snakehead, especially if it was frozen beforehand. Bread em and deep fry them and they are delicious. I add a little old bay or similar to the breading, even done lemon pepper in it too (which is my go to for grilling them and other fish) and it's pretty darned good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom