• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Hi, so I'm looking at selling my shotgun, (I'll be posting in the classifieds soon and attach the link), and I had a question about doing a private sale. So a friend of mine told me that if I sold my shotgun, that I should write up a bill of sale. Incase anything were to happen to the gun, say it gets stolen and used in a robbery or whatever, it would help protect me from any legal actions. Is this true? Is this all I would really have to do to make the private sale legal?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hi, so I'm looking at selling my shotgun, (I'll be posting in the classifieds soon and attach the link), and I had a question about doing a private sale. So a friend of mine told me that if I sold my shotgun, that I should write up a bill of sale. Incase anything were to happen to the gun, say it gets stolen and used in a robbery or whatever, it would help protect me from any legal actions. Is this true? Is this all I would really have to do to make the private sale legal?

A bill of sale is optional, but not a bad idea for the reasons your friend mentioned.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    It's not required so I don't do them. If the buyer seems off somehow, don't make the sale.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    A bill of sale is a great idea for all the reasons mentioned. It should also be noted that GOOD bills of sale that you can find online also have a section where the transferee signs stating that they are not prohibited from possessing or owning such a weapon. It's worthwhile to do your due diligence as well and ask them for a photo ID to prove they are who they say they are, and often one other form of ID that matches the address for them on the bill of sale. In states where CCW is shall issue, or where voting rights of felons haven't been restored, it's not uncommon to ask for a CCW permit or their voter's registration card, but in MD, almost no one has the former, and they've restored the rights of prohibited persons, so the latter isn't viable.

You may not transfer a firearm to a known felon, known user of illegal substances (Federal law here, not state, so even pot), known drunkard, or known perpetrator of domestic abuse. There are other restrictions as well, but I do not remember them off-hand.

If it feels sketchy, it is. Better to not make the sale to that person than screw up.

None of this should be considered as or construed to be legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Between you and the seller. I've never done a BoS, and don't plan on starting. I either trust the seller/buyer, or I don't do business with them.

I haven't had any visits based on a gun found at a crime scene. I just assume that I will have proof that I wasn't where ever the crime took place. It is a pretty low probability issue anyway.

Good luck with your sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom