• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I want to get Browning T-bolt, but I am not sure if in .22lr or .17 HMR.
    During the prior 2013 ammo panic, 22 WMR (22Mag) was easier to find than 22LR (which was impossible to find) or 17 HMR (which traditionally has less selection).

22Mag is pricier than 22LR during normal times, and usually less than 17 HMR. I checked Ammoseek, and while prices are higher, there still seems to be a decent amount of 22Mag out there.

I actually have a Browning T-bolt in 22Mag (pretty maple stock too). Love the gun, and the speed of the action. But it's probably midway down in my 22Mag rifle collection in terms of accuracy.

chujohn

Dec 2, 2019
    Northern Virginia
    During the prior 2013 ammo panic, 22 WMR (22Mag) was easier to find than 22LR (which was impossible to find) or 17 HMR (which traditionally has less selection).

22Mag is pricier than 22LR during normal times, and usually less than 17 HMR. I checked Ammoseek, and while prices are higher, there still seems to be a decent amount of 22Mag out there.

I actually have a Browning T-bolt in 22Mag (pretty maple stock too). Love the gun, and the speed of the action. But it's probably midway down in my 22Mag rifle collection in terms of accuracy.

Yes, I have another rifle in .17 hmr, but I want to get 22 WMR rifle also. I see ammo out there for .17 HM2.

Tranzoo

Oct 9, 2019
    Indian Head, MD
    Bought 3 Wildcats @ 229.99 each

You know what would be really cool? If Winchester would license the magazine from Ruger so that standard 10/22 magazines would work with it. I bet they'd sell a lot more of them if they'd do that.

It doesn't really look like it is much cheaper than a 10/22. I dont see the advantage. The ruger has way more support and parts availability.

I purchased 3 Wildcats @ 229.99, one for each of my three boys. I agree the price was similar to the Ruger.

1. fired reliably - shot 1000 rounds between the 3 guns. Not one malfunction between 3 guns.

2. Striker fired - smooth trigger pull especially in view of the striker fire.

3. Tool-less disassembly - cleaning is quick and easy.

4. Extremely fun to shoot (like most .22s are). Had a blast, three sons and dad in a back yard shooting contest... I’d say I was the best shot, but I be telling a lie - youngest son beat us all. All 3 Wildcats plinked accurately and at 50 feet rested (not bench rested, not match ammo) five shot groups could be easily covered with a nickel. All three guns shot equally accurately and reliability right out of the box.

5. Uses standard Ruger 10/22 mags - lots of mag options.

Dislikes - none really - the Wildcat is manufactured to be an inexpensive firearm and you can tell. In view of that, the Gun’s fit and function are very satisfactory.

Bottom line - I’d recommend this gun for anyone wanting an inexpensive semi-automatic.22 for backyard shooting and small game hunting.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

And it was posted somewhere here that 22 Mag ammo makers simply don't produce match grade ammo; 22 mag is more of a hunting round. Even so, that T bolt is a gorgeous rifle and if I see a T Bolt in maple - any caliber - I just might buy it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The thing that annoys me about many .22 platforms is they aren't all that solid. Pot metal and plastic. My .22 AR is pure AR with the exception of the CMMG BGC and .22 LR barrel. Much more solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom