• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I don't think they are all the same.

To me the best seeds are saved seeds if you were happy with the crop. Over time this can give you a "landrace" strain that is especially adapted/suited to your specific climate and land. Most important thing if saving seeds is to always save seeds from your best plants, not the last ones to mature.

They say not to save seeds from hybrids but some sold as hybrids may not be. I've had good luck with tomato seeds saved from hybrids.

We'll see, we have a mixture of both.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Good subject... seeds. Are all seeds created equally or are some better than others or even last years crop seeds?

Just make sure if you are saving seeds from the previous years harvest, they are from Heirloom plants and not hybrids. If hybrids, you chance not getting the same variety as what you harvested.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I saved seeds from last year. Jalapeno, Tomato and got Amish paste seeds to make sauces this year. I make sure to buy heirloom and not hybrids so I can. I painted a 3' x 4' board to put in the basement window and will build a 2x4 hangman like to hold the far side and suspend a grow light over it. Sun in the morning and grow light 11am to 7 at night. I will maybe put seeds in by the 15th.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    I try to grow plants that are not readily available in the grocery store or farmers market, or roadside stands. Fish Peppers, Yellow Pear Tomatoes, Scarlet Runner Beans, Anne Arundel (musk) Melons, and Zebra Zucchini are always a big hit. Just like ammo seeds can be hard to find days.
    https://www.southernexposure.com/ has some great selections and I have good luck with most of their stuff growing in this area. And right now they still have inventory.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Wife says we don't need no stinkin guest room.

Attachments

• IMG_4348.jpg
      IMG_4348.jpg
      72.6 KB · Views: 240

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    if yours starting out i would get some asparagus crowns maybe strawberry and other berry bushes if you enjoy them and maybe fruit trees started now since they will be around for many years and take a few to get going. i get aspargus from morgancountyseeds. and berries plants from https://www.noursefarms.com/category/strawberry-plants/

heads up johnnyseeds.com has it open for gardens orders for today. it a pita they doing it but im ok with it most that order wont plant 1/2 the seeds they order when they could be going to growers that need them for their lively hood. i placed my order last week when they had it open suppose to be delivered tomorrow. probably going to start a few tomatoes and peppers. this week and another batch 2 weeks later. hope i didn't screw my self ive become so reliant on buying dixdale onion starts from morgan county seeds. hopefully they didnt have a crop failure from the cold snowy storms last week

dont wait to long to place orders another few week it will be near impossible to get alot of stuff once weather starts getting warmer

Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009
    Get your seeds early because seeds look like they will become the next ammo shortage.

This is good advice. Readily available seeds went MIA last spring when the lockdown craziness started. That stuff is all over sites like Amazon now but who knows if that will last.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    We are going all out this year. Taking 2 acres at the farm and putting in a big garden with a little bit of everything. Getting an attachment for tractor that forms a raised bed lays down drip tape for irragation and covers the bed with plastic mulch. Picked up a 5000 gallon tank yesterday that will be used for the irragation.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    Whats the early crops everyone plants? Sugar snap peas is all I am thinking right now.

I won't be dropping seeds into trays until 3/1. Tomatoes, A bunch of Amish paste and green peppers

i be planting potatoes and onions in a few weeks provided the onions are shipped with the frozen weather that Texas got the past week .

i be starting a few tomatoe and pepper seeds this week to risk them for setting out early for early tomatoes if it warm enough and another batch in 2 weeks. tired of trying to maintain a huge mess of them plus to me they do better when setting them out in the sun when they are smaller and bounce back quicker after transplant

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Everyone should plant a few asparagus crowns even if you don't want an asparagus bed because you should know how to recognize asparagus that has gone to seed so you can spot it growing wild. In a SHTF situation being able to spot wild asparagus in the fall will allow you to mark it then come back and collect it when the plant is dormant to plant your own bed when store bought crowns are no longer available. I know several spots where wild asparagus is growing just in case I ever need it.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    We are going all out this year. Taking 2 acres at the farm and putting in a big garden with a little bit of everything. Getting an attachment for tractor that forms a raised bed lays down drip tape for irragation and covers the bed with plastic mulch. Picked up a 5000 gallon tank yesterday that will be used for the irragation.

I knew a guy who had a large garden, we talked him into trying to grow zucchini and he put in a forty foot row. If you have ever grown zucchini you know what happened. The ring leader of the suggestion committee one day found his station wagon FULL, to the roof, of garden fresh zucchini.:lol2:

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I knew a guy who had a large garden, we talked him into trying to grow zucchini and he put in a forty foot row. If you have ever grown zucchini you know what happened. The ring leader of the suggestion committee one day found his station wagon FULL, to the roof, of garden fresh zucchini.:lol2:

That's pretty damn funny lol. We have a decent size family the goal is to self sustain so whatever doesn't get eaten fresh will be canned and if we end up with just entirely too much of something the cows can have it.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Who saves zucchini? I tried canning and freezing and its mush both ways. I saw some water bath pickling like candied apple wedges I migth try, but so far I am at a lose on preservation for them and wanting to eat it later. Fresh in the summer I love them.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Who saves zucchini? I tried canning and freezing and its mush both ways. I saw some water bath pickling like candied apple wedges I migth try, but so far I am at a lose on preservation for them and wanting to eat it later. Fresh in the summer I love them.

We've had some luck turning them into noodles first and then Canning them.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Ah Jesus, don't let my daughter hear/read this. Shes on that entire cauliflower rice and zucchini noodles. I can't stand replacement foods like this. If you want rice and noodles eat them and eat less. It you want veggies, just eat veggies as they are made.

Just like turkey meatballs. She made some and the after taste. She is counting calories and eats based on calories not taste. I told her I'll loose weight if your cooking that, because I wouldn't eat.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Ah Jesus, don't let my daughter hear/read this. Shes on that entire cauliflower rice and zucchini noodles. I can't stand replacement foods like this. If you want rice and noodles eat them and eat less. It you want veggies, just eat veggies as they are made.

Just like turkey meatballs. She made some and the after taste. She is counting calories and eats based on calories not taste. I told her I'll loose weight if your cooking that, because I wouldn't eat.

I'm not a big fan either but my wife does the no carb thing. I did keto for about a year and lost 60lbs and have kept it off just limiting my carb intake.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    On my 3rd Garage project this year... What can you do with spare parts and minimal investment.

The Growzone test in my garage. Will see if it works later.:)

Attachments

• growtest.jpg
      growtest.jpg
      28.6 KB · Views: 200

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

Shred it, then freeze for use in zucchini bread later. Squeeze some liquid out after thawing. That's the only way I've ever long term stored/used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom