• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I don't have a root cellar but I do have an area in the basement that is dark, cool and dry. I never seem to be able to keep my garlic past Thanksgiving and rarely Christmas. What is your shelf life as you have a good amount of garlic.

I give a lot of it away and also use a bunch in October for replanting. The rest I would say keeps till January-February. At that point I slice and dehydrate whatever remains. The garlic chips get used in marinades and also garlic powder.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    We have two large deck planters with tomatoes, and jalapeño peppers planted. The S.U. also has a third one for her herbs. We also have a few very brazen squirrels around here, who will pluck off a green tomato, eat half of it, and leave the other half on our deck railing for us to see.

This morning's effort to put a stop to the tomato carnage this year was to make a quick frame from pressure-treated furring strips, and staple black plastic garden netting down the sides and across the top. The front panel rolls up for access to the plants, and fastens to the frame with 3 velcro wraps down each side. I'm not super-proud of the structural zip-ties that I used to hold the frame pieces together...but actually I am :lol2:.

Attachments

• IMG_8614.jpg
      IMG_8614.jpg
      108.2 KB · Views: 218

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    What can you start planting in this area in
    July and still be able to harvest?

I just planted some pole beans yesterday. I'm a couple weeks late, but I'll have a harvest. Still plenty of time to plan for sowing fall harvest crops like carrots, beats, broccoli, leeks, spinach, and lettuce.

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    I just planted some pole beans yesterday. I'm a couple weeks late, but I'll have a harvest. Still plenty of time to plan for sowing fall harvest crops like carrots, beats, broccoli, leeks, spinach, and lettuce.

Glad to hear I have plenty of time for fall carrots. Just found chipmunks burrowed into my spring planted carrots and destroyed much of them. Little bastards.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Been pickling a mix of zucchini and jalapeño in a heavy garlic brine. Been eating that as sandwiches for breakfast and squash every night. My wife made a great casserole of squash. Hoping the Brussels sprouts come on soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I have a bunch of trees I want to get cuttings from. Has anyone ever used these?

Attachments

• F126268C-9101-4DCD-994E-CF1966EA5B28.jpg
      F126268C-9101-4DCD-994E-CF1966EA5B28.jpg
      106.4 KB · Views: 162

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I don’t think a small pot allows you to make a root ball on a tree branch while still attached to a tree. I know you can use a few different items to achieve the same end result.

Just wondering if anyone has used these before.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I don’t think a small pot allows you to make a root ball on a tree branch while still attached to a tree. I know you can use a few different items to achieve the same end result.

Just wondering if anyone has used these before.

Oh I didn't notice the "flow-thru". I'd imagine they work fine.

I have a friend who uses plastic wrap and aluminum foil to do the same thing on fig trees.

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    When I prune figs in the spring I put the cuttings in a bucket with water.
    When they start having roots you can plant them. Also if you have low branches near
    the ground cover the branch the earth wait a month or more it will root cut and replant

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

I'm about to drop some bush beans in the dirt today.

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    I'm about to drop some bush beans in the dirt today.

My 8 plant, bush beans are currently kicking out a very large serving of beans for two people every 5-6 days. My first year doing Bush so do you know how long I can expect them to keep producing at that rate? My Sugar Snap Peas were one a done and already need to be torn out.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My 8 plant, bush beans are currently kicking out a very large serving of beans for two people every 5-6 days. My first year doing Bush so do you know how long I can expect them to keep producing at that rate? My Sugar Snap Peas were one a done and already need to be torn out.

It depends on the variety. In general the rule of thumb is to plant bush beans when you want a lot of beans to ripen at the same time for processing like canning or freezing. If you want an extended harvest plant pole beans because if you keep picking them as they ripen new beans will keep growing until frost.

Prepper_76

Jul 4, 2021
    I will be moving and expanding my garden this fall, hopefully planning a fall garden soon. What’s everyone planting for their fall garden?

Prepper_76

Jul 4, 2021
    I’m planning on the same line up, adding in some brassicas as well. Trying Parisienne variety of carrot from Baker Creek seeds, the long carrots never do well for me. We will be adding some cattle panel arches between the raised beds to extend our vertical growing space. I don’t think I’ll be able to plant anything on them till early spring though.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have 6' T posts for the Amish paste tomatoes and was doing Florida weave on them. Only 4 plants between two posts and they are straining this string even before loading with tomatoes. I went out and bought 4 cattle panels to at least get 32' of my two rows secured.

Damn cattle panels jumped to $26 each

The Florida weave works on peppers great, but tomatoes are just darn heavy.

Prepper_76

Jul 4, 2021
    I have 6' T posts for the Amish paste tomatoes and was doing Florida weave on them. Only 4 plants between two posts and they are straining this string even before loading with tomatoes. I went out and bought 4 cattle panels to at least get 32' of my two rows secured.

Damn cattle panels jumped to $26 each

The Florida weave works on peppers great, but tomatoes are just darn heavy.

I have Florida weave on my peppers, works great! Tomatoes are another story-right now they are supported by a welded wire panel, weaker then a cattle panel. It’s working but they are a little more crowded then I’d like.

Thanks for the info on the panels, I hadn’t priced them out yet. They last a long time and are sturdy so I think they are still worth that price jump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom