Got my Handgun Permit - A Little Nervous...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Or leather OWB or suede with spring metal clip IWB or fanny pack or EDC backpack or shoulder holster(leather or kydex) or kydex OWB.

That just about covers it.

I thought you always recommend serpa holsters. :innocent0

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    How did you manage that? My understanding is that next to Jersey Maryland is the hardest state to get a carry permit in.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    I’ve carried with 1 in the chamber for 3 years. I have a pistol safe large enough that the gun and holster come off together, go in the safe and back on together. As long as I keep my finger off the trigger it won’t go off, but it’s a Glock.

Maryland training (HQL, W&C, hunting etc.) tell you not to store loaded guns even if locked, especially with children. But, where's the law on that one?

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    The average guy who has owned firearms for years and years can't get a carry permit. :sad20:
    Congrats

Get one of those laser target systems for at home training and take the gun for walks around the neighborhood.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Maryland training (HQL, W&C, hunting etc.) tell you not to store loaded guns even if locked, especially with children. But, where's the law on that one?

4-104
    (c) Prohibited. -- A person may not store or leave a loaded firearm in a location where the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised child would gain access to the firearm.

This is the law as of now, always interesting to hear what is said in courses.

TD

Cobol2Java

Feb 10, 2020
    Lothian
    4-104
    (c) Prohibited. -- A person may not store or leave a loaded firearm in a location where the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised child would gain access to the firearm.

TD
    Good to know. It wasn't mentioned in my carry training. But then, you're supposed to keep your magazine out of the gun when locked up? That's crazy. Luckily I live alone, but I'll have to do that when the grandkids visit. Sheesh

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Good to know. It wasn't mentioned in my carry training. But then, you're supposed to keep your magazine out of the gun when locked up? That's crazy. Luckily I live alone, but I'll have to do that when the grandkids visit. Sheesh

It shouldn’t be mentioned in a carry class, it has nothing to do with carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Cobol2Java -- Did you ever get over worrying whether or not the gun will discharge on its own in the holster?

If not, order a set of AZOOM Snap Caps. Take a brand new one and load it, but don't pull the trigger. Carry the gun around for a day or two. Verify the firing pin never hit the back of the Snap Cap periodically. After awhile, you'll emotionally realize that it's not going to fire by itself.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    So, my "Handgun Permit" (how they refer to the carry license here) arrived last week; heck, it only took 3 months. I went and purchased an Urban Carry G3 holster and wore it empty for a few days to let the leather soften. Then I carried it with my Ruger LC9s. Feels good, but...unloaded...

Why unloaded? I'm nervous. I know it's kind of stupid, but I have to wrap my head around the notion of carrying a loaded gun so close to my body. After all, carrying an unloaded gun makes no sense, right? Yet...the idea of a negligent discharge scares me...I've been watching these YouTube videos about negligent discharge, and worry if that could be me.

To make things worse, the weather over the last couple of weeks has prevented me from getting to the range so I can practice. I've been practicing my draw stroke at home and am eager to do so at the range.

One in the chamber or not...well, that's the next consideration, after I get past carrying a loaded firearm, LOL.

There is no "LOL". Be serious about this or don't carry at all. There is no dishonor in not carrying if you are not ready.

Carry the gun fully loaded. You're a liability otherwise. These things go REALLY fast and it'll be over in a few seconds unless you're really unlucky.

"He had the rest of his life to try to get it ready."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FXHVjXPtJk&t=2s

Mas Ayoob is coming to Springfield, VA in April 2021. I recommend you attend this class. It will give you 20 hours of legal education. I took over 50 pages of notes that I still use today. I am not associated with Mr. Ayoob; I just took the class and consider it one of three courses every person with a carry permit should attend.

https://f69e.engage.squarespace-mai...213d70&l=en-US&s=J9D_5KhWiuzZb03KTdNZNHhDdm8=

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    Here’s what you need.

I take it under reason for the carry permit "Constitution of the United States of America Bill of Rights Amendment II" I take it that argument will not get a permit granted.

As easy as some states are to get a business license it I wonder if simply selling ammunition and firearm accessories would help one get one.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I take it under reason for the carry permit "Constitution of the United States of America Bill of Rights Amendment II" I take it that argument will not get a permit granted.

As easy as some states are to get a business license it I wonder if simply selling ammunition and firearm accessories would help one get one.

No that would not get a permit granted. According to MSP, owning your own legal business (showing income, licenses, deposits) will get you a permit.

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    [Kev308];6223429 said:
    The average guy who has owned firearms for years and years can't get a carry permit. :sad20:
    Congrats

Get one of those laser target systems for at home training and take the gun for walks around the neighborhood.

If we are honest that is because liberal white people are afraid of thugs being shot whey they try to rob you. They cant produce offspring if they are dead to keep the voting and cycle of poverty.

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    No that would not get a permit granted. According to MSP, owning your own legal business (showing income, licenses, deposits) will get you a permit.

Thank you. Seems like total bull to me, but since you can have partners in a business. It would be funny how many gun owners decide to open business together .

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.

Doesn't say that

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    4-104

TD

IANAL. By my interpretation, locked in a safe to which the kid(s) do not have a key or combination meets the requirements of the law.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Selling fishing rods from the trunk of your car is sufficient. There was a guy years back that was famous for this in MD.

Any legit, documented business is sufficient in the eyes of MSPLD and the AG office. You could rent ports-johns or just empty them, any shit will do.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Selling fishing rods from the trunk of your car is sufficient. There was a guy years back that was famous for this in MD.

Any legit, documented business is sufficient in the eyes of MSPLD and the AG office. You could rent ports-johns or just empty them, any shit will do.

This...open a lemonade stand. You don't have to be good at it. Just do it.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    The rest of y'all are really going off the deep end regarding the Constitution and carry. Your complaints are 20+ years late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom