I’m ready to embrace pistol mounted red dots.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    At distances where sights matter, isn't the whole point of a good RDS (which projects the dot at what seems like infinity) to allow you to focus your attention on what your adversary is actually doing (instead of lining up on a blurry sasquatch doing who-knows-what with his out of focus hands) while also having a nice crisp POI dog painted on his noggin?

I also have aging eyes that are starting to betray me with iron sights, and getting that front blade in perfect focus doesn't do me a lot of good if it renders that bad guy into a giant puffball. An RDS (which also allows me to reliably keep both eyes open) is an entirely different experience once I get past point shooting range.

Not sure. I guess so. If a red dot helps you hit the target, then great.

I was referring to the comment where he said " Shooting glasses made the front sight clear, and the target blurry", Like it was wrong.

I'm just saying that iron sights, the front sight is supposed to be sharp and clear and the target blurry. You're not shooting holes into a dime, you're hitting a torso size area.

People need to put tape on their sights and shoot. You'd be surprised. Or even close your eyes, press out slowly and you'll hit the target.

As eyesight diminishes, we need to concentrate on what really matters... grip and trigger control.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I wonder why pistol dots are so much life expensive than rifle/subgun dots?

Dear mr pistol red dot guy above- which is your favorite?

For competition guns it is the SRO. For self defense it is the holosun. The RMR might be the durability king but the holosun 508/509 win with features and is almost as durable. I have both but can’t see paying a lot more for the RMR for just a little more durability. The battery placement and lack of features keeps me from buying more of them.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Not sure. I guess so. If a red dot helps you hit the target, then great.

I was referring to the comment where he said " Shooting glasses made the front sight clear, and the target blurry", Like it was wrong.

I'm just saying that iron sights, the front sight is supposed to be sharp and clear and the target blurry. You're not shooting holes into a dime, you're hitting a torso size area.

People need to put tape on their sights and shoot. You'd be surprised. Or even close your eyes, press out slowly and you'll hit the target.

As eyesight diminishes, we need to concentrate on what really matters... grip and trigger control.

I work very hard on grip and trigger control but that does not mean anything if you can’t see your target. The dot lets you see the target in 100% focus. You are not gestimating where the shot his going on a fuzzy blob at 20 yards, you know.

Sure iron sites still have a place, just not on any of my guns.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I work very hard on grip and trigger control but that does not mean anything if you can’t see your target. The dot lets you see the target in 100% focus. You are not gestimating where the shot his going on a fuzzy blob at 20 yards, you know.

Sure iron sites still have a place, just not on any of my guns.
    You're assuming you practice correct grip. How do you assess your grip? By where the shots land?

I understand about red dots. So what you're saying is that you can't hit a center mass torso shot at 7 to 15 yards or so without sights?

I'm saying shoot without sights once, you'll be surprised.
    People put all their time into equipment making them shoot better and zero percent in ability.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    You're assuming you practice correct grip. How do you assess your grip? By where the shots land?

I understand about red dots. So what you're saying is that you can't hit a center mass torso shot at 7 to 15 yards or so without sights?

I'm saying shoot without sights once, you'll be surprised.
    People put all their time into equipment making them shoot better and zero percent in ability.

No, I know my grip is solid and I am not going to let it slide. I can call my shots if I need to. I know where a shot went when the trigger broke. It’s important to be aware of what you are doing so you can tell when something is going wrong and make steps in training to fix it.

Yes, I can hit center mass at 7 yards with no problem without paying attention to my sights. Big deal. Most people can hit the cardboard but is it in the A zone?

I spend lots of time training and honing my skills, dry fire, holster draws, live fire, matches, etc.

Good equipment make a difference, not a huge one, and an even smaller difference if you don’t also spend the time to get the most out of your equipment.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia

Attachments

• 2FAAAAB9-9FE6-489F-BFE9-9E7B4D3B6F85.jpeg
      2FAAAAB9-9FE6-489F-BFE9-9E7B4D3B6F85.jpeg
      22.2 KB · Views: 120

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Blaster, we all love you, but you are not the only person out there who can shoot a pistol correctly, quickly, and accurately, and casting immediate doubt on anyone who claims they do is not necessarily reasonable behavior.

My personal suggestion is that once you've got your gun, you should take the Modern Samurai Project with Scott Jedlinski at the next available opportunity. Fantastic class that will teach you how to shoot red dot pistols at a high level - plus give you a lot of insight into the sorts of issues with grip and trigger control that blaster is discussing.

ETA: I won't even get into how top-level irons shooters are target-focused about 95% of the time, and really only go to front sight focus for the toughest shots.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Blaster, we all love you, but you are not the only person out there who can shoot a pistol correctly, quickly, and accurately, and casting immediate doubt on anyone who claims they do is not necessarily reasonable behavior.

My personal suggestion is that once you've got your gun, you should take the Modern Samurai Project with Scott Jedlinski at the next available opportunity. Fantastic class that will teach you how to shoot red dot pistols at a high level - plus give you a lot of insight into the sorts of issues with grip and trigger control that blaster is discussing.

ETA: I won't even get into how top-level irons shooters are target-focused about 95% of the time, and really only go to front sight focus for the toughest shots.

Reading comprehension is important.

I was not talking about red dots. I started out saying the front fcking sight needs to be sharp and in focus. Because someone said his shooting glasses MADE THEM THAT WAY. Like it was wrong. :rolleyes:
    Then I started talking about how people need to check their shooting ability by shooting without using sights and see how well they will land shots.
    Then someone chimed in about the stupid A zone for no reason at all.

Search "Shooting the cross" using iron sights. It shows how far you can be off with your sights and still land effective shots. That's my point.

People need to look past equipment and get down to raw, fighting basics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom