How prepared are you for a home invasion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • [Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    How prepared are you actually for a home invasion? Last night I had a scenario where the cold hard facts slapped me in the face. My wife and kids were asleep, I had just laid my head down for a few minutes and I was already in la la land. Suddenly I hear the front door shaking violently. "WTF is that!?" I sit up in my bed for a second and the sound continues and I think, "f&%k this is the real deal! I need my glasses!" I grab my glasses. "Which gun do I grab? What if it's one of the kids? Damnit the guns are locked up and it's dark!" So my instinct was to run towards the noise unarmed like a berserker and either football tackle someone or confirm it was a break in and retreat and unlock my safe.

It ended up being my dog having a seizure in his crate in the living room. I figured it out halfway when running into the room cuz he had had one a week ago and at the time I wondered what it would sound like if he had one while in his crate.

I give my performance a 3/10. One for actually finding my glasses and two for not being a total chicken shit.:sad20:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have guns stashed in numerous places around my home. I have had a couple of instances where the door rattled (wrong house, drunk kid) and was up, armed and at the door in short order. The dog helps.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    I wake up enough to pee at night its muscle memory to roll out of bed into slippers while shucking off the cpap and grabbing glasses. Ambient glow from streetlights and a night light in living room.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    When I hear something outside at night, my alarm, cameras, a security-glass storm door and a reinforced door jam give me some assurance that no one is in the house and give me plenty of time if someone is trying to get in. So an invasion won't come with a zero-notice swift kick to the door and a quick sprint upstairs. But I don't feel covered if bad guys sneak up on my wife or me when one of us is coming into or leaving the house unarmed. When walking out the door half awake, there are lots of hidey places someone can squat behind then sprint to us. If aware, I'm confident I can hurt a slow dumb bad guy, but bullets are pretty fast. Maybe I watch too much ID channel.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I have guns stashed in numerous places around my home. I have had a couple of instances where the door rattled (wrong house, drunk kid) and was up, armed and at the door in short order. The dog helps.
    If I didn't have young ones....I need to invest in a better safe for sure.

More important question, how is your dog doing?

We have an appt tomorrow. He's 7yo and I think it may be from medication he's on for an ear infection.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    How’s your dog?

My big girl has had three seizures in the past 2.5 months.

Our dogs are actually the biggest part of my response action plan. The newest member comes out of a deep sleep at full launch.
    He's a vicious puggle, and I'm not joking, cranky ole bastard. He was part of my response plan too, but he started peeing in my daughters toy bins while we were asleep. :mad54:
    So now he's crated at night

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I think home defense/preparedness is all about simplicity and ease of use. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    The handgun I carry is the one by the bed. In the kydex holster, grip up in the partially opened night stand drawer.
    Shotgun in the corner at the ready. Flashlight on top of the night stand above the pistol.
    I check the doors and alarm before bed.
    My bedroom door is open a little to let me hear things in the house a little better.
    I could do more, but that would complicate things for me.

More importantly...is doggo ok?

Jan 13, 2020
    [Kev308];6294080 said:
    How prepared are you actually for a home invasion? Last night I had a scenario where the cold hard facts slapped me in the face. My wife and kids were asleep, I had just laid my head down for a few minutes and I was already in la la land. Suddenly I hear the front door shaking violently. "WTF is that!?" I sit up in my bed for a second and the sound continues and I think, "f&%k this is the real deal! I need my glasses!" I grab my glasses. "Which gun do I grab? What if it's one of the kids? Damnit the guns are locked up and it's dark!" So my instinct was to run towards the noise unarmed like a berserker and either football tackle someone or confirm it was a break in and retreat and unlock my safe.

It ended up being my dog having a seizure in his crate in the living room. I figured it out halfway when running into the room cuz he had had one a week ago and at the time I wondered what it would sound like if he had one while in his crate.

I give my performance a 3/10. One for actually finding my glasses and two for not being a total chicken shit.:sad20:

Well now you know. Do better next time. I find it super helpful to just randomly decide to do practice runs late at night. Pick a random night while laying in bed on my phone, just get up, get everything ready as quickly as I can and get to the opposite side of the house. This also works well because I live alone. Hopefully your family will understand you randomly walking around the house in the middle of the night in your (at least) underwear with a gun shining a light on everything.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Biometric quick access gun safe, Simplisafe home alarm system, surveillance cams ring the house.

Defense in layers.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Still sorry.

At least when the puggle pees and shits himself, you don’t need a pump to clean up. My girl is a mastiff cane corso mix. When she lets loose, it’s an event not to be repeated.

I hate seeing her go through it. But her quality of life is still good otherwise.

Prayers up.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Im completely open. rob me.:rolleyes:

I mean open board... Opsec violation to say Im ready.:innocent0

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It’s cheaper to put the kids on a roving fire watch until you secure you’re outside and inside perimeters. 2 Hours On/Off until Reveille

Everyone stands a watch on the wall if they want to sleep under the blanket of security that you provide.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Ring is expensive. Look into Wyze.

Both of them phone home. I bought a wyze cam, found out they have to be activated through an account on a web site, threw it in a drawer and haven't touched it. I understand there are 3rd party flash updates that let you turn it into a stand alone or local server cam, but haven't looked into it yet.

I wouldn't want anything that depends upon outside internet or talks with manufacturer's servers. When the net is down they are useless.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    The front door of my home is not there to protect my family and valuables. It is their to protect the dirt bags from me.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    [Kev308];6294080 said:

Agree, you're not prepared.
    -- a primary gun should already be chosen
    -- locked guns are worthless.
    -- a dark house is a primary reason for a break in (target of opportunity)
    -- your instincts need working on

There's easy ways to fix them all. The right mindset is the starting point (and perhaps a few self defense websites)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom