• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    .....so I'm thinking I've died and gone to heaven - Dick's wants to sell me a Remington 11-87 for $400 -- finally my price range. That is $400 after rebates..... So to keep it short I'll give you bullets:

1. They give me 3 different rebate forms but only one original cash register receipt.
    2. I'm the first buyer (4:45 a.m.) but they couldn't call the instant background check because of that, so they said DON'T pay now, come back later after we call. Came back later and basically I had to force them to serve me and make the call. Lucky I did - they wanted to wait to call in the instant check later that afternoon and then I could pay for it. But I insisted on calling then, and only after I got home did I realize that had I waited, that would have pushed me beyond 2:00 p.m. (the Dick's rebate was only good for sales until 2:00 p.m.).
    3. when I returned to Dick's for more copies of a cash register receipt to file the rebate forms, I had to "return" the gun, and then "buy" it again to get multiple copies of the receipt. Fortunately they were smart enough to leave me the one from 11:00 a.m. Friday and told me to file that with the Dick's rebate.
    4. When I asked what I was supposed to do since both dick's and remington wanted the one single "proof of purchase sticker" on their rebate form, I got blank stares. calling remington on that one and hoping for the best.
    5. when I let them know how close it came to me missing the rebates, I got a lame "we were very busy" -- oh really? You only advertised nation-wide for a sale on Black Friday! That's not my fault.

I'm freakin' amazed I've gotten this far still with the hope of getting all the rebate money.

I'll keep you posted, and I'll NEVER shop Dick's again unless it is a heck of a deal and I go in with my eyes wide open....

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    .....so I'm thinking I've died and gone to heaven - Dick's wants to sell me a Remington 11-87 for $400 -- finally my price range. That is $400 after rebates..... So to keep it short I'll give you bullets:

1. They give me 3 different rebate forms but only one original cash register receipt.
    2. I'm the first buyer (4:45 a.m.) but they couldn't call the instant background check because of that, so they said DON'T pay now, come back later after we call. Came back later and basically I had to force them to serve me and make the call. Lucky I did - they wanted to wait to call in the instant check later that afternoon and then I could pay for it. But I insisted on calling then, and only after I got home did I realize that had I waited, that would have pushed me beyond 2:00 p.m. (the Dick's rebate was only good for sales until 2:00 p.m.).
    3. when I returned to Dick's for more copies of a cash register receipt to file the rebate forms, I had to "return" the gun, and then "buy" it again to get multiple copies of the receipt. Fortunately they were smart enough to leave me the one from 11:00 a.m. Friday and told me to file that with the Dick's rebate.
    4. When I asked what I was supposed to do since both dick's and remington wanted the one single "proof of purchase sticker" on their rebate form, I got blank stares. calling remington on that one and hoping for the best.
    5. when I let them know how close it came to me missing the rebates, I got a lame "we were very busy" -- oh really? You only advertised nation-wide for a sale on Black Friday! That's not my fault.

I'm freakin' amazed I've gotten this far still with the hope of getting all the rebate money.

I'll keep you posted, and I'll NEVER shop Dick's again unless it is a heck of a deal and I go in with my eyes wide open....

1. Don't deal with the worker bees--- if you have a problem seek a manager and they will make good, whether it be timing, price or availability..... The manager I know from Hunt Valley said they sold 32 guns on Black Friday (that's a lot of Federal paperwork that must be done exactly right for any day-- much less Black Friday when things are even a little crazier...)... I've had any problem I ever had at Dick's resolved when talking to a manager-- even gotten some extra discounts..... It's a give and take when dealing with stores like that--- unfortunately great prices can't/don't always come with great service, but a manager will make it good....

At least no one sprayed pepper spray in your face when you were shopping there.....:lol:

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I am on my phone so I can't link but at least two other threads immediately come to mind.....of course negative....about Dick's.

.....and how with a name like that, why is anyone surprised :D

Man, I am NEVER shopping there.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Your shocked that a minimum wage employee at a big box store doesn't know the nuances of a sale they have probably never done before? Do you not understand how these big box stores work? I go to Walmart to buy my ammo because it is cheap as hell even though I know it might take 15minutes to find the guy with the key. You want great service go to a small gun store, you want the cheapest prices, go to a big box store and deal with crappy customer service.

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Your shocked that a minimum wage employee at a big box store doesn't know the nuances of a sale they have probably never done before? Do you not understand how these big box stores work? I go to Walmart to buy my ammo because it is cheap as hell even though I know it might take 15minutes to find the guy with the key. You want great service go to a small gun store, you want the cheapest prices, go to a big box store and deal with crappy customer service.

This.

The big box retailers were not nor will they ever be designed to provide a great customer experience. They are the product of the American pursuit of the absolute lowest price point through volume sales. Period.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Curious as to how it's Dick's fault that the BIG BROTHER was not available at 4:45am for them to call in your background check..... Since the stores had posted hours of 5:00 am opening, it sounds like they did you a favor by letting you in early and then you gripe about it....?

usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    Curious as to how it's Dick's fault that the BIG BROTHER was not available at 4:45am for them to call in your background check..... Since the stores had posted hours of 5:00 am opening, it sounds like they did you a favor by letting you in early and then you gripe about it....?

They told me the night.before they opened at 4:45 am - I didn't force them to open or to provide the public a rebate. My gripe on the.call is.they.would have pushed the.call and my sale beyond the.rebate time of 2:00 had I not insisted. They were there in front of me making calls for current buyers while my 5:00 am purchase sat.

I get that big box stores don't supply great service, but there has to be some minmal level of service beyond opening tthe door and taking my money, especially knowing that should I make a mistake on the rebate forms, they will gladly deny the rebate.

Guess I was too excited about the price to remember I had to watch my back. That's on me.

Good reminder about managers and also about not being too hard on the hourly folks, which I definitely was not as I have worked a register too.

CHEERS!

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    They told me the night.before they opened at 4:45 am - I didn't force them to open or to provide the public a rebate. My gripe on the.call is.they.would have pushed the.call and my sale beyond the.rebate time of 2:00 had I not insisted. They were there in front of me making calls for current buyers while my 5:00 am purchase sat.

I get that big box stores don't supply great service, but there has to be some minmal level of service beyond opening tthe door and taking my money, especially knowing that should I make a mistake on the rebate forms, they will gladly deny the rebate.

Guess I was too excited about the price to remember I had to watch my back. That's on me.

Good reminder about managers and also about not being too hard on the hourly folks, which I definitely was not as I have worked a register too.

CHEERS!

Don't forget managers can adjust pricing-which I'm sure they would have had you missed out.... How many people in the Dick's gun safe thread had the sale price honored a day or two before the sale? :thumbsup:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The whole concept of mail-in rebates, in the internet age, is ridiculous.

It's an attempt to wear you down by making it difficult, and discourage people from actually filing, so they don't have to pay out.

I had one rebate company try to scam me, saying I didn't fill out the appropriate information (almost 2 months after I mailed it in). I re-mailed them a photocopy of the rebate form that I filed, which I'm sure they weren't expecting, and told them I'd report them to the State's Attorney's office if the rebate check wasn't in my mailbox within a week. That did the trick...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom