• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I've noticed that on the Sale or Trade (Firearms Related) section that revolvers are rare items. I also notice they're not very popular at gun stores. I was looking for an inexpensive .357 for my wife and was looking for a Taurus revolver (blued) similar to the one she was using in her handgun course. I'm not much of a Taurus fan, but I shot the gun she was "assigned" and I have to say it performed better than the ones I owned back in the eighties! Anyway, it had a nice blue finish on it and fixed sights. I don't reckon it was cut own for a whole lot of full throttle magnums as it was about like a K-frame. Anyway, my local gun stores seem to want to sell us an auto or Smith & Wesson and my wife (who doesn't much like guns to start off with) wants a Taurus.

I haven't seen too many used revolvers at all, and the .357s I've seen all seem to have these ugly underlugs hanging on the barrel. Most people (wisely) want to keep their revolvers, apparently, especially older ones.

Is it just because of where I'm located? Bein' in Bethesda/Rockville, everything seems expensive. Does anyone know of a place that sells Taurus at a reasonable price? I also have a hard time finding .357 125gr JHPs and the .38 FBI load (158-gr. LSWCHP)? I bought some of the former at Georgia Arms and the latter I can't find anywhere. Georgia Arms has a loading similar to the FBI load, but tests showed it didn't expand like other 158-gr. LSWCHPs. So I don't mind ordering ammo as long as it performs well.

Thanks for any input. If anyone knows of a place to get good prices of Taurus handguns, let me know. And I wouldn't mind buying another stainless Taurus PT-92 if I can find one.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I've noticed that on the Sale or Trade (Firearms Related) section that revolvers are rare items. I also notice they're not very popular at gun stores. I was looking for an inexpensive .357 for my wife and was looking for a Taurus revolver (blued) similar to the one she was using in her handgun course. I'm not much of a Taurus fan, but I shot the gun she was "assigned" and I have to say it performed better than the ones I owned back in the eighties! Anyway, it had a nice blue finish on it and fixed sights. I don't reckon it was cut own for a whole lot of full throttle magnums as it was about like a K-frame. Anyway, my local gun stores seem to want to sell us an auto or Smith & Wesson and my wife (who doesn't much like guns to start off with) wants a Taurus.

I haven't seen too many used revolvers at all, and the .357s I've seen all seem to have these ugly underlugs hanging on the barrel. Most people (wisely) want to keep their revolvers, apparently, especially older ones.

Is it just because of where I'm located? Bein' in Bethesda/Rockville, everything seems expensive. Does anyone know of a place that sells Taurus at a reasonable price? I also have a hard time finding .357 125gr JHPs and the .38 FBI load (158-gr. LSWCHP)? I bought some of the former at Georgia Arms and the latter I can't find anywhere. Georgia Arms has a loading similar to the FBI load, but tests showed it didn't expand like other 158-gr. LSWCHPs. So I don't mind ordering ammo as long as it performs well.

Thanks for any input. If anyone knows of a place to get good prices of Taurus handguns, let me know. And I wouldn't mind buying another stainless Taurus PT-92 if I can find one.

People that have a reliable revolver(s) are holding on to them!
    I think it’s really that simple. :) :thumbsup:

Dec 6, 2011
    Bass Pro stocks a lot of Taurus products. Prices seem to run about 100-250 less than a similar framed Smith and Wesson. I've worked on a few. They aren't too bad and have a lifetime "of the gun" warranty, so used in no problem.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I too have a penchant for "Quality" Revolvers. I have also have had a few that for various reasons I wanted to part with. What I found from several Md. shops were revolvers don't sell well around here. I believe revolvers are more desired to older users, at least the type I'm talking about. The younger gun buyers seem to love autos and polymer guns, revolvers seem old technology. This is ironic because many professionals recommend DA revolvers as first HD gun.

Colt doesn't make them anymore, most newer gun companies don't offer revolvers, Taurus makes SW clones, so I guess Ruger is the only real player in the revolver game and I think they are better known for strong SA revolvers, a niche. I guess the industry knows they don't sell as well as other offerings.
    I do know older SW and Colts keep going up in value, but you rarely see them in Md. shops. I figure it's us older buyers looking for them, and like Jim said we rarely sell them.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Lou up at Shooters Surplus had a whole boat load of Corrections Officer turn ins, they are Smith and Wesson K frames in stainless. I think they were about $325. I'm sure he still has some.

Nice guns, good price.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Nothing wrong with a Taurus. There is a guy in my club that is a big colt collector. He picked up my 606 and shot a few rounds down range. He put the gun down and told me that was a smooth colt and asked what I had done to the trigger? He did not believe it was a plain Jane Taurus until he picked it up again and looked for him self.

IjustCantAim

Jan 20, 2010
    Just bought a Taurus 605 from here about 2 weeks ago. It is MINT! Way nicer than described. Thanks again Jason.

I too have a penchant for "Quality" Revolvers. I have also have had a few that for various reasons I wanted to part with. What I found from several Md. shops were revolvers don't sell well around here. I believe revolvers are more desired to older users, at least the type I'm talking about. The younger gun buyers seem to love autos and polymer guns, revolvers seem old technology. This is ironic because many professionals recommend DA revolvers as first HD gun.

Colt doesn't make them anymore, most newer gun companies don't offer revolvers, Taurus makes SW clones, so I guess Ruger is the only real player in the revolver game and I think they are better known for strong SA revolvers, a niche. I guess the industry knows they don't sell as well as other offerings.
    I do know older SW and Colts keep going up in value, but you rarely see them in Md. shops. I figure it's us older buyers looking for them, and like Jim said we rarely sell them.

While I mostly agree with you the age thing I don't know about I'm 33 (is that the old you were referring to or older) and I love a good wheel gun and will not sell any that I have they will come from my cold dead hands. I do own more modern fire arms than revolvers I only have two right now but my next two guns I plan on buying are revolvers. I do have a guy at work who has a SS Taurus Raging Bull .44 mag he was trying to sell me and for the price I might have to take him up on it and then get the S&W SS 629 Classic .44mag and then buy the old lady a .38 revolver which I guess bring me up to my next 3 will be revolvers. :sad20:

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    On Target has the largest revolver section I have seen, purchased my Tuarus 66 there. They're very close to the Bass Pro Shop, who also carries Tuarus. Mines a keeper.

100_0626.jpg

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    While I mostly agree with you the age thing I don't know about I'm 33 (is that the old you were referring to or older) and I love a good wheel gun and will not sell any that I have they will come from my cold dead hands. I do own more modern fire arms than revolvers I only have two right now but my next two guns I plan on buying are revolvers. I do have a guy at work who has a SS Taurus Raging Bull .44 mag he was trying to sell me and for the price I might have to take him up on it and then get the S&W SS 629 Classic .44mag and then buy the old lady a .38 revolver which I guess bring me up to my next 3 will be revolvers. :sad20:

My comments toward younger buyers isn't a negative, just an observation. You said
    you own more "Modern" firearms than revolvers. Most of those said "Modern" guns are based on 1911 technology, this is older than the DA revolvers I'm
    talking about. When I was a young man first getting into shooting, there were no 10+ capacity firearms around. I think the High Cap guns of the 80's
    killed revolvers, everyone wants to have more ammo capacity then the other guy. The other issue is one of personal taste, if you ever handled and fired a Colt Python or an older SW K-Frame, you would see the difference in the action. The Taurus is fine for the cost, probably a better value but not my first choice. BTW, 33 isn't quite old enough, but it's coming soon.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    My comments toward younger buyers isn't a negative, just an observation. You said
    you own more "Modern" firearms than revolvers. Most of those said "Modern" guns are based on 1911 technology, this is older than the DA revolvers I'm
    talking about. When I was a young man first getting into shooting, there were no 10+ capacity firearms around. I think the High Cap guns of the 80's
    killed revolvers, everyone wants to have more ammo capacity then the other guy. The other issue is one of personal taste, if you ever handled and fired a Colt Python or an older SW K-Frame, you would see the difference in the action. The Taurus is fine for the cost, probably a better value but not my first choice. BTW, 33 isn't quite old enough, but it's coming soon.

I made the transition from a Rossi .38 to a S&W Model 10, then from the Model 10 to a Model 27. Nothing compares.

clarkcondor

Mar 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    I think the 4" M27 is S&W's best .357 (large N frame thought) but it is very difficult to find in MD shops. Last one I saw was about 1 year ago. M686 is also very nice and more common but has a full barrel lug (which I think the OP did not like?). I believe the ones that I saw from Lou were M64s - .38 specials.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I think the 4" M27 is S&W's best .357 but it is very difficult to find in MD shops. Last one I saw was about 1 year ago. M686s are very nice and more common but has a full barrel lug (which I think the OP did not like?). I believe the ones that I saw from Lou were M64s - .38 specials.

The 4" is the rarest of the original Model 27s. They went from 3.5 to 5 to 6 and to 8 3/8.

When the model was introduced you could get any barrel length in between as a special order.

Mine is a 5 incher, with the 1/8" Patridge sight.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Lou up at Shooters Discount had a whole boat load of Corrections Officer turn ins, they are Smith and Wesson K frames in stainless. I think they were about $325. I'm sure he still has some.

Nice guns, good price.

Have a few left in excellent condition and the current price is $279.95. The $325.00 isn't correct

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm big into revolvers. I was at Clyde's, Bart's, and Scott's today. Saw plenty of new and used revolvers. Clyde's has the most.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The Gun Shop in Essex had a bunch of Taurus revolvers when I was in there the other day.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

S&W is by far the biggest player in the new revolver market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom