• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    S&W is by far the biggest player in the new revolver market.

Based upon what? They make no single action only guns to my knowledge. I'd be interested to see thier sales figures vs Ruger and Taurus.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    Frankly, when I lived in Montgomery County, I had no desire to line the pockets of any local gun dealers. I found what I wanted mostly on Gunbroker. With a reasonable FFL and I got what I wanted cheaper than anything I could find locally. I have a Ruger SS Security Six .357, a S&W 1917, and a pre 29 44 Mag. All my other pistols are SAs.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    S&W is by far the biggest player in the new revolver market.

For SA/DA I'd agree

Based upon what? They make no single action only guns to my knowledge. I'd be interested to see thier sales figures vs Ruger and Taurus.

I think he means SA/DA models and different models in general look at S&W's website at all the different models compaired to Ruger

If sexy revolvers are only for old guys 26 must be the new 80.

Attachments

• S&W 64.jpg
      S&W 64.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 328
    • Colt one.jpg
      Colt one.jpg
      32.1 KB · Views: 292

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    OK, 42 is OLD Enough, Zane you are just wise beyond your years!
    What I'm trying to say is; If SW came out with a "Zombie Slayer" model Revolver the young bucks would then buy wheelguns.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    OK, 42 is OLD Enough, Zane you are just wise beyond your years!
    What I'm trying to say is; If SW came out with a "Zombie Slayer" model Revolver the young bucks would then buy wheelguns.

Im 21 and I would not... I'm not disagreeing with you. You are totally right they would. I personally think a classic should stay classic. Btw I own no revolvers as of yet but i think my first will be.

CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    With the exception of my GP 100 (my first HD gun), I'm partial to S&W - from 22 LR to 44 mag. My wheel section of my safe is getting real crowed.

My comments toward younger buyers isn't a negative, just an observation. You said
    you own more "Modern" firearms than revolvers. Most of those said "Modern" guns are based on 1911 technology, this is older than the DA revolvers I'm
    talking about. When I was a young man first getting into shooting, there were no 10+ capacity firearms around. I think the High Cap guns of the 80's
    killed revolvers, everyone wants to have more ammo capacity then the other guy. The other issue is one of personal taste, if you ever handled and fired a Colt Python or an older SW K-Frame, you would see the difference in the action. The Taurus is fine for the cost, probably a better value but not my first choice. BTW, 33 isn't quite old enough, but it's coming soon.

:smoke:In 33 more years I will be 66 years young ;) I was just trying to gauge were you were putting the age of the "younger people" 1st gun I ever bought was a Winchester 12ga (witch was stolen :mad54:) 2nd is my Clot 1911 3rd is my S&W .357 mag I have not had the opportunity to fire a Colt Python or an older SW K-Frame and would like to see the difference. I do love my S&W and like the way the S&W revolvers look, I normally wouldn't look into buying a Taurus but my coworker is just making an offer I find very hard to refuse but I would still buy the S&W SS 629 classic .44 mag its been on my short list for to long now.

jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    While I mostly agree with you the age thing I don't know about I'm 33 (is that the old you were referring to or older) and I love a good wheel gun and will not sell any that I have they will come from my cold dead hands. I do own more modern fire arms than revolvers I only have two right now but my next two guns I plan on buying are revolvers. I do have a guy at work who has a SS Taurus Raging Bull .44 mag he was trying to sell me and for the price I might have to take him up on it and then get the S&W SS 629 Classic .44mag and then buy the old lady a .38 revolver which I guess bring me up to my next 3 will be revolvers. :sad20:

If you don't decide to buy it let me know. Been tossing around the idea if picking up this exact gun.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Can't help with the Taurus, but I'd seriously consider a used S&W in your circumstances, if the wife would consider it. I'm especially fond of the Model 10 with heavy barrel; it's only a 38, but has a wonderful trigger, and 158 grain shoots to point of aim. Barrel mass helps you keep on target by soaking up recoil and steadying aim. Available used for reasonable prices. Smith also makes them in SS; I don't recall the model number offhand.

Buffalo Bore makes the FBI loads in 38spl, 38+P, and 357, I believe. You may have to order on line, but it's generally available. I don't think the blast and recoil of a 357 makes it suitable for home defense use, but your mileage may differ.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I'm especially fond of the Model 10 with heavy barrel; it's only a 38, but has a wonderful trigger, and 158 grain shoots to point of aim. Barrel mass helps you keep on target by soaking up recoil and steadying aim. Available used for reasonable prices. Smith also makes them in SS; I don't recall the model number offhand.

Are you thinking of the 64?

SWModel64L712.jpg

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    The MontCo region tends to have high prices. You may want to check On Target neqr Ft. Meade, or the shops mentioned on MD Shooters. I havbe no experience w. Taurus revolvers, but a Taurus semiauto I once owned soured me on that manufacturer forever. I am a S&W fan for revolvers, and if you look around you can find some good bargains that will last your lifetime.
    I have been told Ruger revolvers are solid, but they are generally believed to be less "smooth" than S&W.
    Just keep looking, outside of Mont. Co.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Wow, good year indeed.

I do see the point though about S&W's models. They do make a lot of different flavors.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Reminds me of an old saw ...

Wow, good year indeed.

I do see the point though about S&W's models. They do make a lot of different flavors.

"If everyone liked vanilla ice cream, there wouldn't be any need for chocolate."

SWHC's numbers aren't too shaby either ... and they're still in the 'affordable range'.

Attachments

• swhc.JPG
      swhc.JPG
      27.7 KB · Views: 168

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    i own a taurus revolver, and it looks like many of you do too. fine guns when they work. be aware though, their quality control and service department are absolutely the worst! to make a long story short, they would not ship or sell the part i needed to correct my gun, even though the part i needed to replace was not a gunsmithing job. simple screw on the extraction plate, which they deem necessary to replace at their shop. i shipped it, three months later they shipped it back and nothing was done, but the job ticket indicated otherwise. i sent it back, two months later it came back and same results, so i called them and shipped it back and after another two months, i got it back, repaired. i'll never buy taurus again. EAA has a turn around of five days on work orders, meaning i mail the firearm out it on monday and get it back on saturday~with more than what i needed to be repaired, GREAT customer service and quality control! as for S&W, never had to send anything back, which speaks volumes of overall quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom