• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roc_doc

Mar 7, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I am in the process of acquiring a New Model Ruger Single Six. I have ordered this through Bud's and had it delivered to a local FFL dealer for the transfer.
    I inspected the gun, exciting moment, but I don't really have any experience acquiring a new gun. It is supposed to be brand new, and it does come as such. On inspection though, on the wheel mechanism of one of the cylinders (I don't recall if the 22lr or mag) there are some small linear marks, similar to what would result from hitting it with the head of a screw driver. I didn't see any other significant blemishes, and these things are somewhat regular on the "petals" of that connecting component that is driven by the action.
    I called Ruger and learned that this unit left their factory in January of 2012, so very recently. Does anyone know if these things are normal? Or should I be worried that this gun has been used or repaired before?
    Thank you very much for any advice!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Take some pictures. Ruger's QC has been slipping with the demand to flood the market with guns :(.

Very much correct. A brand new Single Six I looked at in a local shop a few weeks ago had the cylinder badly misaligned, loose, and scraping the upper rear area on the inside of the frame. Looked unsafe to fire and downright dangerous. I went into the shop wanting to order a new Ruger revolver. I left the shop looking for other options.

Yes, please take pictures and post them. If it's genuine damage, then it probably left the factory that way. If so, call Ruger and return it to them on their dime for repair or replacement.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Ruger's CS is top notch. Take pics, email CS, and they'll probably give you a shipping label to return the gun. I think turnaround is like 2 weeks or so.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    If the gun is in production, they should be able to replace it quickly. I had an LCR I needed replacing (tool marks and a crack above the cylinder release!). Alas, that's probably why Engage had it on sale for $400. Unfortunately, they weren't producing it at the time nor were they planning to for the next several months. They ended up trading me an SP-101, which was a better gun but not the one I wanted. Anyway, a photo would be helpful. I don't like tool marks on my guns.

Is it stainless steel?

If I didn't care how my guns looked, I would have bought a Glock!

Snap32.jpg

Look at the crack. Inexcusable!

Snap38.jpg

I wouldn't have returned it for this alone, but yeesh!

RugerLCRs_4.jpg

Note the differences in scrolling. The .38+P is almost too deep, while the
    .357 can barely be read!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom