• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    Hey guys, wanted to know if anyone was interested in going in on a bulk order of 223 or 556. Was thinking we get up to 5 people together, each paying for about 1000 rounds. I think we can get pretty good deals from various companies if we buy over a couple thousand. I'm located near the navy base in pax river.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Hey guys, wanted to know if anyone was interested in going in on a bulk order of 223 or 556. Was thinking we get up to 5 people together, each paying for about 1000 rounds. I think we can get pretty good deals from various companies if we buy over a couple thousand. I'm located near the navy base in pax river.

Only 5000 rounds and you're expecting a deal from a distributer? You are going to need at least 5x that to get a decent price after shipping.

Best of luck.

My $0.02

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Only 5000 rounds and you're expecting a deal from a distributer? You are going to need at least 5x that to get a decent price after shipping.

Best of luck.

My $0.02
    Agreed.

One can sometimes get a discount by buying real bulk and moving up a tier in quantity to a full unit of some sort, but no one wants to negociate a true group buy these days.

Group buys on ammo depend on the vendor having more than they need and a willingness to take a reduced markup on it in return for getting rid of a LOT in one simple transaction. IMHO, those days are over, at least for the moment. Only recently have supplies become steady and prices begun to return to pre-Obama levels. It seems like most suppliers are making brisk sales at full price and there is just no motivation to sell ammo at reduced prices. Why turn it over at a reduced price when it's all you can do to keep it in stock as it is?

The ONLY way to get a discount worth all the aggravation* of setting up a group buy is to go BIG. 5k is not big, nor is 10k, and probably not 20 anymore.

(* Soliciting buyers, tracking who gets what, collecting funds, contacting suppliers, taking delivery, distributing goods, resolving issues)

We all bought 16k and the manufacturer tried to renig in the middle of the deal (AFTER being paid) because demand was growing, prices were on the rise and they saw lost profit. This means that even 16k was not all that important to them. They balked but ultimately honored the deal Norton had set up with them, but then delayed our shipment for MONTHS after cashing our FedEx'ed cashier's check.

hsm01.jpg

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    I'd be in if the ammo was good stuff, and it was even $10 a case cheaper than I could get it.

P.S. I highly recommend IMI from Widener's.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I'd be in if the ammo was good stuff, and it was even $10 a case cheaper than I could get it.

P.S. I highly recommend IMI from Widener's.

I've been looking at that stuff for a while wondering if it was any good. If I remember correctly it's lead stuff so no one will bitch if I use it on stee targets.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    I've been looking at that stuff for a while wondering if it was any good. If I remember correctly it's lead stuff so no one will bitch if I use it on stee targets.

No, actually I believe it is steel core M855.....Widener's used to have the IMI 55 gr stuff (M193), of which I burned through a case, and that did not have a steel core.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom