How do I transfer gun ownership from my deceased father to me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Will I be subject to the long waiting times currently associated with the 7 day background check that I have been hearing about... and during that time will the FFL have to hold the handgun or can I immediately take possession of the handgun?

Yes because the 7 day wait (30-45+ days right now) is for regulated firearms and all handguns are considered regulated firearms in MD law.

The MD FFL will retain possession of the handgun until MD State Police give them the all clear to complete the transfer. You'll need to check with your dealer of choice to determine how the handgun can be brought into the shop (ie. your father bringing it into the store, shipment via carrier, etc) because they each can have different policies.

The handgun also needs to be one listed on the MD Handgun Roster (unless you want to have an even longer, uncertain wait while it is submitted for approval and addition to the roster). The MD FFL will know this or be able to find out.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Yes because the 7 day wait (30-45+ days right now) is for regulated firearms and all handguns are considered regulated firearms in MD law.

The MD FFL will retain possession of the handgun until MD State Police give them the all clear to complete the transfer. You'll need to check with your dealer of choice to determine how the handgun can be brought into the shop (ie. your father bringing it into the store, shipment via carrier, etc) because they each can have different policies.

The handgun also needs to be one listed on the MD Handgun Roster (unless you want to have an even longer, uncertain wait while it is submitted for approval and addition to the roster). The MD FFL will know this or be able to find out.

Thanks so much for the info. I think that I may just drive to Virginia to my Dad's house to shoot it at a range near his house... I'll wait a year or so... maybe the current 45 day waits will decrease sometime over the next year.

BTW, one of the guns I thought I might transfer is an old Makarov. I've really enjoyed shooting it. I am not certain of the manufacturer and could not find it on the Maryland Handgun Roster - do you think it is likely to be on the list of approved guns? It fires a 9x18 round... I think that the magazine holds 8 bullets...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If was made before 1985, its exempt from having to be on the list. If it was made before 1963, you can get a C&R and acquire legal ownership that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom