• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    This is somewhat of a repost, so apologies for being redundant.

Put simply, I would like to know if it is legal to have an unregulated unloaded shotgun (in a soft case) in the trunk of my vehicle in Maryland (I live in Baltimore County). If so, I also plan to store the rounds in the trunk.

Thank you in advance for concise answers/insights.

BTW, do you carry an unloaded long gun in your vehicle most of the time?

I don't know your situation but it is legal for me.
    I have carried a shotgun off and on for years in the back of my SUV.
    Stay away from schools.
    When I was a kid it was pretty normal to see guns in racks in the rear window of pickup trucks. That would probably get you stopped today but other than checking to insure the guns are unloaded I don't think there is a legal problem with this.
    If anyone can find a law prohibiting this please post.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    pop-gunner said:
    If anyone can find a law prohibiting this please post.

So far:
    Rockville, Baltimore, and Leonardtown are no long gun zones.

See the Maryland laws before 1985 thread linked previously.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Way back when I was in high school it was nothing to see them in a pickup truck gun rack in the student parking lot.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    So far:
    Rockville, Baltimore, and Leonardtown are no long gun zones.

See the Maryland laws before 1985 thread linked previously.

Looks like Leonardtown also outlawed sling shots and nerf guns outside the home.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I think Inigoes has a good handle on the pre-85 laws that escaped preemption. You need to watch out for those when carrying a long gun in a vehicle. Generally speaking I believe general long gun carry in a vehicle in MD is legal as long as the long gun is unloaded. I know of no casing or locking requirement for long guns, DNR statutes just say it must be unloaded.

If you watch the new training video from MPTC you need in order to buy a regulated firearm they will tell you in there that any regulated long gun has to be transported in a locked case. This is simply not true and apparently invented.

I am not a lawyer, my opinions only.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    zoostation said:
    I think Inigoes has a good handle on the pre-85 laws. You need to watch out for those when carrying a long gun in a vehicle. Generally speaking I believe long gun carry in a vehicle is legal as long as the long gun is unloaded. I know of no casing or locking requirement for long guns, DNR statutes just say it must be unloaded.

The casing requirement comes from Baltimore.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Federal law has no bearing on travel with firearms within the state of MD. It only comes into play when traveling through states and has been discussed here ad naseum, and has no bearing on travel when MD is either the origin or destination.

MD statutes apply.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    A certain member on here, not mentioning names told me it was legal to have an AR in a carrying case in the trunk on my car with a loaded mag in the mag pouch holder. I am calling BS on that. I believe you can carry a loaded mag but arent you suppose to have it the farthest way possible like a glove box or something?

Federal law has no bearing on travel with firearms within the state of MD. It only comes into play when traveling through states and has been discussed here ad naseum, and has no bearing on travel when MD is either the origin or destination.

MD statutes apply.

IIRC the Federal Gun Free School Zones still applies if the firearm in question was manufactured/sold/transfered/ever crossed state lines/ect.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    A certain member on here, not mentioning names told me it was legal to have an AR in a carrying case in the trunk on my car with a loaded mag in the mag pouch holder. I am calling BS on that. I believe you can carry a loaded mag but arent you suppose to have it the farthest way possible like a glove box or something?

MD has no laws on ammo transportation...

Crossing state lines, FOPA comes into play.

IANAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom