• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Streamlight also has an adapter for the USP also, but it's really more suited for the compact.

I used it for my USP .45 full-size to mount a TRL-3, but it will shift on the full size rail.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Semper - To answer your original question - My input, for what it is worth, is a 2nd Generation Berreta 92. It has a rail on it and I believe there are threaded barrels for it. I have the old style Berreta 92 and have a factory barrel that is threaded. With the thread protector on you cant tell it is threaded. Suppressors work fine on them. SIG would be another option. Not too familiar with them but have fired one or two and seem nice.

Good luck.

Dave

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Im a big fan of my P226 Elite/Silencerco Osprey setup. Functions 100% and sounds great. Theres no need to have tall sights with the Osprey as the top of the standard height sights clear the suppressor. Take note that this is only with the Osprey as most of the suppressor actually sits below the barrel. Other suppressors will sit above the standard height sights and tall sights may be needed. The P226 Elite also comes with factory night sights and a rail.
    IMAG0124-1.jpg

And to those who think that using a LEGALLY registered suppressor while definding your life will end you up in jail. Stop believing all the internet heresay. There has never been a case where a citizen who legally owned a suppressor and used it while defending his/her life, in his/her home, ended up in jail for it. Those of us who own suppressors have gone through State (individual), FBI, and BATFE approval. On Form 1's & 4's it asks for a reason for ownership. Mine all say "Collecting and ALL LEGAL PURPOSES". By approving my forms the BATFE also approves of my reasons. And it is legal to defend yourself when your life is at risk by an intruder in your own home.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Flipz - sweet setup!

Glocks, XD's, M&P's, CZ's, 1911's, FNP's, FNX's, BHP's will be finicky to get to run with just a drop in barrel and factory recoil assembly.
    First choice, USP 9/45 TAC/SD
    Second Choice, Modern Factory Threaded HK Offerings in 9mm (May need Tall Sights)
    Third Choice SIG Factory Threaded Offering in 9mm (May need Tall Sights)...
    What issues are typical with Glock?
    Where does the Walther PPQ w/ factory threaded barrel fit into this line up?

...For a Light the Streamlight TLR Strobe is a good light on a budget, but not as waterproof as a Surefire X Series Pistol Light. Surefire is about $100 more. Both have rea[l] illumination, solid attachment, and similar controls.
    I have the TLR-1s on my HD pistol. It puts out and amazing amount of light, the controls are simple, the battery life has been acceptable and the strobe feature is sickening.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Flipz - sweet setup!

Thanks!

As for Glocks, I never had a single issue suppressing my Glock 17. I used the factory recoil spring and a factory threaded barrel. It ran everything I put through it and never had a problem with my Osprey attached. I later sold the G17 to fund the purchase of my HK USP9SD. BUT, it did run great with my Osprey attached when I had it.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks!

As for Glocks, I never had a single issue suppressing my Glock 17. I used the factory recoil spring and a factory threaded barrel. It ran everything I put through it and never had a problem with my Osprey attached. I later sold the G17 to fund the purchase of my HK USP9SD. BUT, it did run great with my Osprey attached when I had it.

Care to post a pic of the SD?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Flipz - sweet setup!

Where does the Walther PPQ w/ factory threaded barrel fit into this line up?

I have the TLR-1s on my HD pistol. It puts out and amazing amount of light, the controls are simple, the battery life has been acceptable and the strobe feature is sickening.

PPQ Factory Threaded wont reliably run with 115's till broken in with a suppressor attached from what I have seen. It will run out of the box with a suppressor wih 147s.

Glocks have similar issues sometimes, some have none. Some glocks need tuning and different springs to run. Point is that you dont know what your gonna get with a non factory threaded handgun. Some run some dont. HK and SIG work, and its uncommon to see one not run.

If you have a preference for a gun other than SIG or HK that you want to suppress, its certainly possible just know it may need trweking, possibly a gunsmith.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    USP9SD seems to be the way to go. That said I've seen a Beretta 92A1 with a Tornado Tech threaded barrel run with a TiRant flawlessly, albeit a bit dirty, but the 92 makes the USP seem like a reasonably sized handgun.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    USP9SD seems to be the way to go. That said I've seen a Beretta 92A1 with a Tornado Tech threaded barrel run with a TiRant flawlessly, albeit a bit dirty, but the 92 makes the USP seem like a reasonably sized handgun.

I must agree. I left the beretta out. Its a fantastic gun, even suppressed.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    If you are going for a reliable suppressor host... Here are my suggestions.

HKUSP 9 SD
    IMHO, the best of the browning tilting barrel type handgun for suppressed use. Will feed anything, including cheap Russian made steel cased ammo. No need to change out springs, no need to modify anything. It is reliable, accurate and suppressor ready, out of the box. It is also one of the easiest pistols to rack the slide on. HK did really good on this one. in addition, the grip is slim, ambi mag release. I do not really like the Ajustable sights.. it should be upgraded to Meprolights. rail adapter is required for most attachments, and the 13.1 LH threaded barrel will require its own adapter as most barrels in 9mm are in 1/2x28 tpi.

#2 Beretta 92A1
    This is the only pistol that will work reliably without a neilsen device. It is sexy and beautiful. Sice it does not required a LID( with most cans), it tends to be more accurate with minimal POI shift. rails are standard and you can upgrade to taller nite sights as well.

Both pistols have sa/da actions plus a decocker. the suppressed 9 does not recoil much and will result in a decibel rating of less than 120 db with good ammo/ can

Others;;;..I stay away from for suppressed use. They are good range toys but require an engineering degree to get them to work well enough for a serious defensive role.

Not so good:
    Glocks
    MP
    XD
    SIG

Horrible host:
    Walther PPK types/ similar straight blowback design ( Makarov, SIG 230 etc)

If you want quiet.. stay with a subsonic 9... and dont cut corners on a can.
    Best 9mm cans

SWR trident 9 or Octane 9 ( lowest FRP)
    Gemtech Multimount
    Both cans are versatile, will handle 22LR, 5.7, 9mm.300blk subsonic. can be used in carbines and mounted under the handuards if you want the SD look.

Followed by the Silencerco Osprey-9 ( looks weird on a carbine, but that's just me) and louder frp.

and in addition to that... everything else that clandestine wrote.

Attachments

• cans.jpg
      cans.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 397

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ehh, just put a can on a Hi-Point..., what's the worst that could happen??? :lol2:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    for inside the home , defensive use.. I will not employ a suppressor un less it is on a 5.56 carbine.

Suppressors will extend the handgun so much that it will lose balance, become front heavy and will require two hands to manipulate/ control correctly. ( the other hand is for using as a standoff, opening doors, light switches, calling 911 etc) If you push on the can.. it will take the pistol out of battery and it will not fire. That kinda sucks.. It is also almost impossible the fire the pistol in a retention stance ( for those gunfights that occur in really tight spots.. such as bathrooms or walk-in closets) If you are on the move inside your home.. The suppressor becomes a nice handle for a badguy to grab a hold of...he can use that as a lever to disarm you, even with an adrenalin supplemented death grip.

You can get by.. with lots of training to overcome those things. Consider those things when you develop your home defense tactics.

Attachments

• cans2.jpg
      cans2.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 297

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    As for taclights and polymer pistols.....thats another topic.

I chose the USP and beretta because the frames do not flex as much as other tupperware products. Glocks,,, as an example will flex . Thats makes it AK47 reliable, but adding a light underneath changes that chracteristic and tends to stiffen it up a bit.. that translates to decreased reliability, POI change and makes the gun finicky.. adding a can makes it worse.....

You also want a heavier pistol.. If you limp wrist a suppressed pistol.. it will jam, regardless of how reliable the can/ host combo is. Its a matter of physics.... In a defensive situation.. you may only have one hand for your pistol... limp-wrist that, and you have an expensive club.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Cost

HKUSP 9SD 1100.00
    Multimount, Octane 9 , Osprey 9 700.00
    Meprolight adjustable tritium sights ( taller, can be used to adjust for POI change) 140.00
    TLR-2 with strobe 300.00
    GGG rail adapter 50.00
    BATFE, Stamps, prints..Etc 250-300.00
    Out of state transfer ( 75- 200 bucks.... yup, some dealers will try to rape you)

Your wife has expensive taste :)

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Cost

HKUSP 9SD 1100.00
    Multimount, Octane 9 , Osprey 9 700.00
    Meprolight adjustable tritium sights ( taller, can be used to adjust for POI change) 140.00
    TLR-2 with strobe 300.00
    GGG rail adapter 50.00
    BATFE, Stamps, prints..Etc 250-300.00
    Out of state transfer ( 75- 200 bucks.... yup, some dealers will try to rape you)

Your wife has expensive taste :)

Brother, you aren't joking.

I appreciate all the info. I'm going to explore the beretta some too.

Simms65

Oct 24, 2007
    Inwood, WV
    I have a suppressor on my HD carbine, I also have a suppressor on one of my M&P's. Factory threaded barrel, YHM Cobra M2 suppressor. Works 100% with 115, 124, 147. Easy to shoot. I don't see a problem with suppressing a firearm to protect your hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom