• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    If you want quiet.. stay with a subsonic 9... and dont cut corners on a can.
    Best 9mm cans

SWR trident 9 or Octane 9 ( lowest FRP)
    Gemtech Multimount
    Both cans are versatile, will handle 22LR, 5.7, 9mm.300blk subsonic. can be used in carbines and mounted under the handuards if you want the SD look.

Followed by the Silencerco Osprey-9 ( looks weird on a carbine, but that's just me) and louder frp.

Trident and Octane are great cans, but I'm curious why the Ti-rant 9 didn't make your list.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Trident and Octane are great cans, but I'm curious why the Ti-rant 9 didn't make your list.

because of the much louder " First round Pop".. It is par with YHM cans in that category.
    Mounting options are also limited to pistols. The other cans are full auto- rated and will mount on carbines and SMGs. The Ti-rant 9 is pretty much a dedicated pistol can.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Here is a pic of my Berreta 92 with a Gemtech Multimount.

mm_berreta.jpg

I shoot 147GR through it very reliably.

Dave

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    because of the much louder " First round Pop".. It is par with YHM cans in that category.
    Mounting options are also limited to pistols. The other cans are full auto- rated and will mount on carbines and SMGs. The Ti-rant 9 is pretty much a dedicated pistol can.

Interesting. If memory serves, the only head to head test that I have seen showed the Trident with a particularly nasty FRP, and the Octane and Ti-Rant within 1-2db of each other... and the Ti-Rant was overall marginally quieter than both. I know one test really doesn't mean that much, but it is the only head to head one I have seen. When I have some time, I will see if I can find that on the intertubes again.

I've never shot any of them, so I can't speak from experince, but that test was one reason I favored the Ti-Rant when it came to buying (still waiting for the stamp :sad20:).

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Interesting. If memory serves, the only head to head test that I have seen showed the Trident with a particularly nasty FRP, and the Octane and Ti-Rant within 1-2db of each other... and the Ti-Rant was overall marginally quieter than both. I know one test really doesn't mean that much, but it is the only head to head one I have seen. When I have some time, I will see if I can find that on the intertubes again.

I've never shot any of them, so I can't speak from experince, but that test was one reason I favored the Ti-Rant when it came to buying (still waiting for the stamp :sad20:).

Im thinking it was likely conducted performed by Silencer Tests.com. They have a bias. Then again the platform and ammunition can drastically determine what suppressor wins.

I agree with SCAR, the Ti-Rant is louder first round pop compared to SWR from what I have heard in person.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Chad and I do not work for any silencer manufacturer. We value our friends more and can not afford to give them bad advise.

I only speak from experience. So far, no complaints yets from anyone that followed my lead.

I am not sugesting otherwise. :thumbsup: Like I said, (i) I have no personal experience with these, and (ii) what I posted was only one test that may or may not be indicative of a broader trend... it is just one data point.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I am not sugesting otherwise. :thumbsup: Like I said, (i) I have no personal experience with these, and (ii) what I posted was only one test that may or may not be indicative of a broader trend... it is just one data point.

Decibel readings are pure BS... some cans are quieter to the human ear than what is shown on decibel meters.

Lots of manufacturers also cheat by using a weeting agent or a quick spray of WD40 inside the can to reduce FRP... Trident, Octane and Multimounts are still the best out there. They are quiet, even when completely dry

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010

Here is a sound test conducted by Silencerco/SWR comparing the Octane9, Trident9, and TiRant9.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=donjZzUat60

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    HK USP 9SD

We ended up purchasing the USP 9SD from Gun Gallery here in Jacksonville, FL.

I think we got it for a pretty decent price - $979 (nib) + $5 FDLE app fee + tax.

And, not to rub it in, but because I have a CCW it was cash and carry. I love Florida! :D:thumbsup:

Next stop - suppressor town.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      95.3 KB · Views: 246
    Last edited:

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Thats a great price! Congrats!

As far as the suppressor goes, I highly recommend the following 9mm suppressors (in no particular order):

Silencerco Osprey
    SWR Octane9 HD
    AAC TiRant9

If I were to recommend one in particular Id say the SWR Octane 9HD. It has tons of mounting options. Can be fully taken apart for cleaning and has SS baffles. And it ranks right up there with the top performers for decibel reduction.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Thats a great price! Congrats!

As far as the suppressor goes, I highly recommend the following 9mm suppressors (in no particular order):

Silencerco Osprey
    SWR Octane9 HD
    AAC TiRant9

If I were to recommend one in particular Id say the SWR Octane 9HD. It has tons of mounting options. Can be fully taken apart for cleaning and has SS baffles. And it ranks right up there with the top performers for decibel reduction.

I ran a P30 TiRant9 today and it was pretty quiet. I've also heard great things about the SWR Trident.

Anyone have a positive experience running 9mm through a 45 can like people do with 5.56 through a 308 can? Is there a big loss in suppresson?

It would be great to only have to purchase one suppressor and pay for only one stamp.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I ran a P30 TiRant9 today and it was pretty quiet. I've also heard great things about the SWR Trident.

Anyone have a positive experience running 9mm through a 45 can like people do with 5.56 through a 308 can? Is there a big loss in suppresson?

It would be great to only have to purchase one suppressor and pay for only one stamp.

Not all suppressors support this because the Booster needs a different thread to accept different calibers. The only Can I have seen this done on was a YHM .45 becuse they are setup to do that, sadly YHM Handgun cans are much louder (dry) than other major competitors.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Not all suppressors support this because the Booster needs a different thread to accept different calibers. The only Can I have seen this done on was a YHM .45 becuse they are setup to do that, sadly YHM Handgun cans are much louder (dry) than other major competitors.

Is it even worth looking into, or would 9 through a 45 can be pointless?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    For the best performance, optimize the suppressor for the caliber. Doing a one size fits all results in substandard performance. a 1 decibel difference makes a big difference to the trained ear.

Good choice and congratulations to the HKUSP9 SD....You will be happy with it. I'm certain of that.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is it even worth looking into, or would 9 through a 45 can be pointless?

It will gove you 1970s era sound suppression. It will ne at or sligbtly above hearing safe bit nothing close to modern pistol caliber dedicated suppressor technogy.

Rifle caliber suppressors are more efficient using smaller projectiles throught them than pistol suppressors. It probably has to do with pressures and velocities and the larger internal vloume of large rifle suppressors. Where theres not much of a size difference in 45 cans compared to 9mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom