• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRB15

Dec 23, 2012
    Hi everyone, i'm new to all of this on here, so i figured i'd get the opinion of everyone on what gun should i buy first. I've narrowed it down to a Springfield XD(M) and a Walther P99. if you have advice on another i should consider, that would be appreciated too. thanks

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    Hi everyone, i'm new to all of this on here, so i figured i'd get the opinion of everyone on what gun should i buy first. I've narrowed it down to a Springfield XD(M) and a Walther P99. if you have advice on another i should consider, that would be appreciated too. thanks

A defense semi auto is the goal here?

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009

Walther is being adopted by many police forces in Europe ... Case. Closed

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 236

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I prefer the regular xd over the xdm due to grip texture/checkering so out of your two choices i would go with the walther i myself have planned to get a p99 you may want to check out the ppq also.

JustCuz

Non-Expendable Citizen
    Aug 25, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    Welcome!

We really need some more information.

Will you carry this for self-defense (if so, proper permit is assumed)? Will it stay in the home for defense? Is your goal to take up shooting as a hobby/sport? Any other reasons you want to buy your first handgun?

And even after we know all of this, you will get plenty of opinions. Just remember that those opinions are based on other people's experience. Other people don't have your hands, your eyes, etc. While we can offer information about reliability, value, and those types of considerations, what will be best for you really depends on what YOU like. Narrow it down and find a good range that has a lot of rentals that you can try out before buying.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

MRB15

Dec 23, 2012
    I plan on using this mostly at home and at ranges. i am going to get a conceal and carry permit for protection, but don't plan to carry all the time. i eventually plan on buying a xdm compact .45 for conceal and carry. I've held both and have fired a XDM i loved it but the walther I've heard nothing but good things about and it's been recommenced to me by some police friends of mine.

jlselect127

Nov 30, 2012
    Springfield XD

go with the Springfield XD..buy it with confidence...its a workhorse..i have the utmost confidence in using mine as my go to weapon in my home to protect my family. Ive never had a jam,ftf, stovepipe or any malfunction. plus the 14 round of .45 is definitely reassuring..then again i use to have a smith m&p and i liked it also but i lean to the XD series. I prefer the XD over XDm. just my opinion....the ergonomics on the XDs is second to none

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Since you have already shot and liked the XDM I will suggest that you shoot the Wather before you make a decision.

It is best to choose a gun that fits you and that you like to shoot.

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    While you are trying out the Walthers (the PPQ is definitely worth a look in addition to the P99), try a Smith and Wesson M&P. Good luck on making your choice. They are all good pistols (including the Springfields -- XD or XDm).

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    The P99 as is a great choice, but mags are expensive and good holsters are scarce. The PPQ is the most recent of the P99 family and is a great choice as well. I own both, that being said I recommend them as range guns. I love my walthers, I own 3 of them. Glocks, xd's and SW m&p's are more common, the aftermarket is huge for them, mags are affordable and everyone makes a holster for them.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I tested out xdm, glock, m&p, and ppq (all in 9). Walther ppq won for me pretty handily. I would say try to shoot each and see what you like better. It's more of a personal choice than some may think. You will get different answers here all day long

JustCuz

Non-Expendable Citizen
    Aug 25, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    ... I would say try to shoot each and see what you like better. It's more of a personal choice than some may think. You will get different answers here all day long

This!

All options mentioned sound reasonable for your needs, so rent them one at a time at the range, and see which one feels best. Your first gun will be the basis of your learning to shoot, so it's important that you feel comfortable with it. That said, it probably won't be your last gun. :)

If you do get a carry permit, you may start looking at some of the tiny .380s on the market just because they are so easy to conceal, and most people are comfortable with modern .380 ammo for close-range self defense. The Ruger LCP is the hot ticket for this purpose.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom