• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    He's nice in my opinion. When I go crossbow hunting up in the mountains on private land next week in Garrett Co., If I see one like that I will be happy!

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    I am going with 4.5, certainly possible it's a healthy 3.5 but that neck, brisket and belly is saying 4.5. Certainly a mature deer...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-000813_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20201023-000813_Chrome.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 362

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    3 or 4 days in a walk in cooler .

WAG 3.5 , but beyond been mature all matters of genetics and nutrition . But that is indeed a nice spread .

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    4ish I think too. Should get more grey/white around the eyes/neck and a beer belly when they turn into old men.

It's hard to tell from that angle I would need to see a couple of more pictures but his neck is thick even before the rut. I would say four and a half to five years old.. if he survives this deer season he will be a beast next year. Another 25 to 50 lb heavier and several more inches on the rack

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    It's hard to tell from that angle I would need to see a couple of more pictures but his neck is thick even before the rut. I would say four and a half to five years old.. if he survives this deer season he will be a beast next year. Another 25 to 50 lb heavier and several more inches on the rack

I thought the biggest growth was between 3 and 4 years. Are you saying a 4-5 or even 5-6 picks up that much more? I know 4-5 will get some serious growth, but you're talking about a 130" deer at 4 years. IF (and a big if) he somehow gets to 6 (assuming he's a 4), how much do you think he'll pick up?

To answer some pressure questions, I'm on a 5 acre lot, with two 100+ acre farms on either side. Lots of hunting on both. I have no control what happens to these deer. That said, I let most bucks walk, hoping that one day they'll return bigger. So far I haven't seen that happen. Regardless, I don't want to kill something I'm not willing to put on my wall. But, if a deer is at his peak, I think he's a trophy no matter what he scores. I'm not sure if this guy is there yet, but my instincts say 'maybe'. Which is why I asked the question.

I'm leaning towards hunting him soon, hoping he's still around.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I'll guess 3.5 possibly 4.5. I've shot about a dz bucks over the last 10 or so years. I just started checking teeth in the last 2 years. I have 3 distinct groups of antlers sizes at the base. I swear I can group them by 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5. Funny thing is though the one's that I think are 3.5 when I check there teeth (Which I'm by no means an expert) they appear to only be 2.5.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Maybe I have him sit down in a dentist's chair before I decide to shoot him :lol2:

He's gone nocturnal this week, coming and going just out of shooting light. I may have missed my chance.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Maybe I have him sit down in a dentist's chair before I decide to shoot him :lol2:

He's gone nocturnal this week, coming and going just out of shooting light. I may have missed my chance.
    Wait until a certain aroma begins wafting through the forest air. It just may break him from his shyness...:D

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    My first guess before looking at any of the comments was 3.5yrs and after looking at the age chart posted I would stay with my original guess. At 4.5 they start to get the sag in their back and this deer has no sign of sag. Depending on your herd and choices of bucks, I would take him out and hope for better genetics of take his place.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Not sure, don't care. He wonders in front of me, he's going down and into my freezer! Good luck.

Jbh

Jul 10, 2019
    As old as he’s gonna get, maybe

The way his neck doesn’t make it to his brisket and his belly doesn’t hang too low and his legs don’t look too short as a result of his stomach Im thinking 3-1/2. I don’t know if if I would harvest him yet though. If its public land and I could a nice clean and quick harvest I’d take him but if not I’d ler him grow.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Well, I decided to doe hunt another spot last night. I was successful, but look who showed up right while I was in the other stand!

Attachments

• WGI_0497s.jpg
      WGI_0497s.jpg
      92.4 KB · Views: 170

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom