• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AV8OR

Jan 22, 2010
    I got lucky and was selected for a bear hunting permit this year. I'm looking for advice on where to hunt (public or private) and the best way to hunt them. Any and all advice is appreciated.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Bring a slower friend with you ...just in case

:D

latest

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They like to bed down in laurel thickets. If you can find topography with a lot of rock faces, they like to follow along the bottoms of them in search for food, bedding, and caves etc.
    If there is any ag near buy, you can catch them leaving the fields in the am and heading towards them in the pm. Good luck. I'll be out there chasing them too.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My wife's cousin is from Alaska. He used to laugh about people paying outfitters to hunt bear. he said

"You know how we hunt bears? You camp and wake up. Then build a fire and fry 3 pounds of bacon and enjoy breakfast. Pour bacon grease all over the ground. Then use the climber to get up a tree and wait, they'll be by shortly."

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My wife's cousin is from Alaska. He used to laugh about people paying outfitters to hunt bear. he said

"You know how we hunt bears? You camp and wake up. Then build a fire and fry 3 pounds of bacon and enjoy breakfast. Pour bacon grease all over the ground. Then use the climber to get up a tree and wait, they'll be by shortly."
    I had a young brown bear stalk in on me while I was 'doing my business'. I had no sooner stepped out of the brush and wash my hands in the river when he popped out. I think they like the smell of doody. :D

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You can't use bait in MD for the bear hunt like some other states allow. I hunt on private land in SW Garrett Co. I have seen them from a distance while bow hunting. It's basically find a spot which has sign prints, poop or they have been seen there and hope for the best. I got a permit the first year and never used it. If I want a bear I'll go up to Maine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom